Baja California (Norte), January 2016...just us and our amigo, "El Niño!"

RIDGE

Adventurer
We spent a couple hours at the mission and then hit the trail. Of course, I chose the one less traveled and ended up turning around after a few hours! What looks passable on Google Earth isn't always passable on "real" Earth.

The "trail" was getting very difficult to follow!

I swear the rocks look twice as big when you don't have another rig with you...or a damn winch!

So much better!

I lost a couple pictures but we eventually got to a dried up water fall that was just too rocky to get through (in the van). Backtracking was less stressful but there was a couple rocks that could have hung us up good.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Once we passed the mission again we were back to new territory. The goal was to make it to the beach by sunset. Another lofty goal I set for us.

Crazy how the scenery changes.

The storm is a comin!

The next few days were going to have me wishing for Mud Grapplers!

RIDGE

Adventurer
I've woken up in better places...that's for sure! What a muddy mess!

Still enjoying it though!

The sun finally came out!

If you know where this next location is, that is great! But, maybe the whole world doesn't need to know! ;) The info is out there if you search.

Anyway! We found this amazing natural bridge along the beach, and it just kept getting better the closer we got. Then I got too close! LOL.

There were seals everywhere!!!!

This made us very sad. Poor guy had a fishing net around his neck.

Always looking to take stellar van photos, we ended up a lot closer than we intended...which brings us back to this part of the story!

I'll finish up tomorrow morning when I wake up! Thanks again for reading!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Great Baja exploration! I just went a month ago and now I can't wait to get back!

-H-

RIDGE

Adventurer
The plan was to back up as close as I could to the rocks. I was up on the shelf and I had tested the sand a couple times, making sure I could drive on it without burying the van. I've seen some really bad stuff happen in the wet sand and didn't feel confident about just driving on it...especially without another vehicle to pull me out.

Kristal took a few pictures and I wanted to get back to a better place to park. As soon as I put it in "Drive", I felt the back end of the van break away.

I got a little nervous because I didn't plan on going off the shelf so I never paid attention to how far of a drop it was! I slowly applied power, expecting to crawl out, but I had one problem...my transfer case had not engaged the front axle! It happens for some reason from time to time, but usually not in such a critical situation.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures but that van was LEANING! What made it worse was not knowing how much farther it had to go, or if I was going to flop. The only thing I knew for sure was the van was sliding sideways, and downhill.

Look at how much sand the right front wheel plowed. It didn't feel good, I'll tell you that! LOL.

The more I tried to crawl out...the closer I got to the Pacific. I wasn't stoked! If you look at the tracks, the van was just sliding down.

Luckily the wet sand was hard packed! I put her in reverse and slowly backed up, trying not to spin the tires and break through the hard top layer.

Might as well pose for a killer shot, right? In this pic you can see the size of the embankment.

Needless to say, I high-tailed it out of there!

What an awesome spot!!!

DirtRoads

Observer
That looks like an incredible trip. I will have to get down there at some point, it's only a 24 hour/1600 mile drive to Mexicali :smiley_drive:

RIDGE

Adventurer
We enjoyed the beach and the sunshine for a few more hours.

Eventually making our way back towards some civilization...

Which means airing the tires back up...always disappointing!

Found an open car wash...FINALLY!

All clean!

RIDGE

Adventurer
The skies did not disappoint!

Had our fair share of rain ahead of us...all good though!

Rolled up on this guy. Anybody from the forum?

The towns were hit hard by the rain.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

We forged through the muddy towns on our way to Jardine's in San Quintin.

As we rolled into San Quintin, the only vehicles moving were 4x4's. This place was hit hard.

Jardine's is a beautiful hotel with great food and even better margaritas. My buddies and I stay here a couple of times per year on various (off-road) motorcycle trips. I can honestly say that I have laughed more here than anywhere in the world! We can be loud...the other patrons of the restaurant/bar usually get their meals paid for, but they have a great time! We always apologize the next morning but they love us, laugh at us, and always welcome us back!

Obviously the people in the Toyota arrived before rains came! In fact, they were staying longer than expected because they locked their keys inside. We offered them food and drinks (even money for another nights stay if nobody could get it unlocked), but "Triple AIYYEE, NO PROBLEMO" finally showed up and saved the day.

The van definitely needed another wash! I felt bad parking in their perfectly groomed lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94