Baja 2017

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
We just went to Baja a couple of weeks ago. My friend invited me to the SCORE San Felipe 250 and a side trip to the Santa Maria de Los Angeles Mission. We talked about it and decided to expand it a little bit more going down the Pacific side, entering Mexico through Tecate, down to Ensenada and to Cataviña.
We left El Paso area on a early Friday morning and were on line at the border crossing in Tecate, BCN right at sunset. We stayed the night at La Estancia Inn (very nice and secure) and left towards Ensenada and Cataviña Saturday morning.

On our way to Ensenada.

At Rosarito

Stopped for lobster at Puerto Nuevo

And continued down south

Ensenada

We called it a day at El Rosario, and had dinner at Mama Espinoza's

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The following day we left El Rosario and started heading southwest on our way to Cataviña. Soon enough it started to change to a more desert like landscape with huge sahuaros and boojom trees.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Cataviña

We arrived at Cataviña just in time for lunch at Misssion Hotel, and after leaving unnecessary gear and the gas cans there, we were soon on the road to Mission de Santa Maria de Angeles.

And then, the Sea of Cortez. San Luis Gonzaga Bay and Punta Final on the horizon, what a view...

And the road started getting worse...or should I say "fun"...

There was a group of about nine off-road vehicles coming out, they were towing two broken vehicles out, poor guys; it must've been a nightmare to get them out.

We finally reached the dreaded "Widow Maker", which in my opinion is not so bad, I think there are two or three sections of the road that seemed harder to me.

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Mision Santa Maria de Los Angeles Cabujakaamung

Mission Santa María de los Ángeles Cabujakaamung, was the last of the missions established by the Jesuits in Baja California, Mexico, in 1767. The site chosen was the Cochimí settlement of Cabujakaamung ("arroyo of crags"), west of Bahía San Luis Gonzaga near the Gulf of California coast, about 22 kilometers east of Rancho Santa Inés, and south of Cataviña.

We continued the trail down to the Santa Maria Wash and oasis.

And we finally made it to the old mission ruins.

djobike

Observer
Great report so far, looking forward to the rest.

Plans are in the works to head down there next year for us.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The following morning, after breakfast; we started climbing our way out of the wash into the rocky hills of Cataviña.

A Jeep Cherokee who didn't make it down, or up; the Widowmaker.

Windy morning...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles