Baja 1000 - My New Found Drug

Ed Bravo

Adventurer
The $20, or $21, or $22 is almost certainly for a tourist visa, you fill out paperwork one place, pay at a bank, return for your signed and stamped visa. These are required by Mexican law if you are in Baja more than 72 hours or travel further south than San Felipe on the Gulf side or Ensenada along the Pacific. This regulation is not commonly enforced, especially during a race event. But........if you have a serious problem such as a bad traffic collision it could become an issue.

The varying cost is not surprising, more or less typical of many things Baja.

Ed

Last edited:

Intuit

Observer
The $20, or $21, or $22 is almost certainly for a tourist visa, you fill out paperwork one place, pay at a bank, return for your signed and stamped visa. These are required by Mexican law if you are in Baja more than 72 hours or travel further south than San Felipe on the Gulf side or Ensenada along the Pacific. This regulation is not commonly enforced, especially during a race event. But........if you have a serious problem such as a bad traffic collision it could become an issue.

The varying cost is not surprising, more or less typical of many things Baja.

Ed

Yeah, a wise man once said, "you only need it, when you need it". For $20 something it is well worth the peace of mind IMO. I do understand the concern you had regarding the said fee infringing upon your 'taco money', but the more devastating concern would be if it infringed upon your tecate, pacifico, or margarita funds!!

JTY

Great write-up, you certainly have a way with words! What a wild adventure.

That being said, I wish I could see the pics, I get a Photobucket "bandwidth exceeded" message with each one. Hmm, can that be corrected on my end? Will have to look for a solution, I would really like to see these pics...

sami

Explorer
I know guys, I'm sorry about the Photobucket BS.. I may reload my B1K trip photo onto a new photo service and repost them soon. I hate this as much as you guys.

SmoothLC

Explorer
Really nice report and even better pictures.

I saw Kurt's report last year and so was glad to see this year's event.

From the perspective of a zoom lens, it looks like the HD on the pole was probably not as close to the vehicles as it appears in the photos.

Any chance any of those are going to be posted?

Is so, love to see them.

Looks like a sweet trip!

DavidWymore

Hi,

I know this is an old thread (I vaguely remember the expedition rigs coming through), but my brother sent me a link to this trip report, and I was curious if you ever found out what went wrong with Ursula's driveline? I appreciate that you guys didn't "bash" us, but it still doesn't look too good. I'd have gladly gone back into it, figured it out, and made it right if I had known. I doubt it was wrong ujoints...if they're wrong, they generally won't fit/install. I suspect maybe an issue with the ball and socket in the double cardan joint....?

Thank You

David

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hi,

I know this is an old thread (I vaguely remember the expedition rigs coming through), but my brother sent me a link to this trip report, and I was curious if you ever found out what went wrong with Ursula's driveline? I appreciate that you guys didn't "bash" us, but it still doesn't look too good. I'd have gladly gone back into it, figured it out, and made it right if I had known. I doubt it was wrong ujoints...if they're wrong, they generally won't fit/install. I suspect maybe an issue with the ball and socket in the double cardan joint....?

Thank You

David

Hey David, thanks for chiming in. Assuming you work at Wynmore?

It was in fact a bad u-joint. Not sure if a needle fell under a cap or what the end failure was but another new joint and it was rolling smoothly. No harm no foul, sometimes new parts fail right out of the box. We were going to stop back by on our trip north but it on a Sunday as I recall that year?

Quite serendipitous that you would bring this thread up. Since B1K 2011 we raced the B1K ourselves and are preparing to race yet again in a new to us rig that is pictured in this thread :cool:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Man before my accident i want to try this so bad. There's is a company in nevada where you can rent the a trophy truck or buggy from a few hours to a week.

If i get where i can ill go indebt to just do it once.lol

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

vabluefish

Observer
Glad this got bumped. Very cool. I was recently listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and he had these two guys on (can't remember the names off hand) that have been participating in the B1K. Really piqued my interest. I think it would be a blast just to be a chase vehicle.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Glad this got bumped. Very cool. I was recently listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and he had these two guys on (can't remember the names off hand) that have been participating in the B1K. Really piqued my interest. I think it would be a blast just to be a chase vehicle.

Chasing/pitting is one of the best ways to experience and enjoy a desert race. In fact I don't think I would go to a desert race unless I had some skin in the game i.e. helping in the pits or actually racing. It's far easier than you would think to get on board with a race team, for those of you in the western US you can likely find a race team within a few hours of home if not closer. Offer to help prep, sweep, do lunch runs, etc and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles