Bailey's 2018 Four Wheel Camper (Raven) - Build & Photos

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Tonight will be my 13th night in the camper since November 23rd. Ditched the apartment towards the end of December to full-time in this cabin on wheels

Full Time, very cool and ambitious. Good on you. Let me know when you venture across the Northern border into BC.

fireball

Explorer
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!

I've got a 2012 Tundra for my work truck, our Hawk has been on it a few times and I'm happy with it. Heavy campers can strain the Tundra, but since yours is the slightly smaller Raven and a lighter shell model you should be just fine.

Did your shell come with a charger so that when plugged into the truck the battery is charging? Or will the solar panels need to do all the work?

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Full Time, very cool and ambitious. Good on you. Let me know when you venture across the Northern border into BC.

Thanks! I do plan on heading North at some point :)

Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!

I've got a 2012 Tundra for my work truck, our Hawk has been on it a few times and I'm happy with it. Heavy campers can strain the Tundra, but since yours is the slightly smaller Raven and a lighter shell model you should be just fine.

Did your shell come with a charger so that when plugged into the truck the battery is charging? Or will the solar panels need to do all the work?

Thank You :)

With all of my additions (suspension, lights, skid plates, water, camper, gear, etc) I'm estimating my weight to be 1450lbs over factory. This includes me and the dog.

It does not have shore power but does have a blue sea smart isolator to make sure I don't accidentally kill the truck battery. I am running 200W solar and 2 camper batteries. Solar charges everything just fine once I added the extra battery. I'm sure in the summertime I'll have plenty of power

BJ'sFJ

A few photos from the last week of exploring Hwy 395 (currently in Bishop, CA)

46205642864_06eaf642fa_k.jpg

33076788238_cad7c810b9_k.jpg

39987652203_2e80d6fe0a_k.jpg

46038273565_7f642c1a43_k.jpg

46038271035_62a95b5b8e_k.jpg

33084613548_42637c3535_k.jpg

46249775064_7fe044ed96_k.jpg

46974205441_51b39f3e6a_k.jpg

Oilbrnr

Is it flush with the front of the bed? This is the second FWC I've seen pictures of in the past couple of days and there seems to be a sizable gap, about equal to the amount dangling out the rear...

BJ'sFJ

Decided to build a simple cabinet. Wanted additional storage while maintaining access to the electrical below. Might add a few more trim pieces down the road.

Very happy with how it turned out.

46425646494_5939fd3c43_h.jpg

32207094387_aa9afdead6_h.jpg

32207093467_bd00531706_h.jpg

Also, I forgot to mention this, I added a passenger-side porch light for additional illumination. You can see it below:

46038273565_443d912b44_h.jpg

BJ'sFJ

Is it flush with the front of the bed? This is the second FWC I've seen pictures of in the past couple of days and there seems to be a sizable gap, about equal to the amount dangling out the rear...

There is a gap. In fact they put rubber bumpers on just so there will be a gap.

There is a gap due to the rubber bumpers at the front of the camper. It's designed to eliminate the possibility of the camper rubbing the bed.

Tomorrow, I will be having 10/40 Overland bolt the camper directly to the bed and trim the bumpers in the process. This will hopefully allow the camper to slide in an extra 1-2"

Oilbrnr

Hmm, well if all FWC's designed for a 6.5' bed stick out that far from the rear bedrails, that would be a deal killer for me as I have a dual swing out rear bumper on my Power Wagon. Just seems a bit goofy that they would do that big a gap. Phoenix and hallmark don't...

BJ'sFJ

I've had the camper for about 3 months now and I decided I needed something stronger than the factory turnbuckles to secure it to the bed.

The camper is typically secured by turnbuckles that attach to (4) forged eye bolts and aluminum backing plates. Unfortunately, the turnbuckles need to be checked often and can bend or shift under hard impacts. This allows the camper to move slightly in the bed and the turnbuckles to possibly fall off. I've had my camper move twice and the turnbuckles have stayed perfectly tight.

I didn't want to worry about the camper so I reached out to 10/40 Overland in Wildomar, CA to have my camper bolted directly to the bed. This prevents the camper from shifting or moving at all. They installed (4) 3/8" stainless steel bolts and aluminum backing plates. I also kept the factory turnbuckles which makes 8 total attachment points.

33294885288_c4c43c3a88_b.jpg

46256019325_448a918f58_b.jpg

47170149971_c081800ae0_b.jpg

33294882278_18e1d3c9cf_b.jpg

This camper isn't going anywhere! Very happy with the work done by 10/40. I highly recommend them if you're an FWC owner or looking to purchase one. They know their stuff.

BJ'sFJ

Hmm, well if all FWC's designed for a 6.5' bed stick out that far from the rear bedrails, that would be a deal killer for me as I have a dual swing out rear bumper on my Power Wagon. Just seems a bit goofy that they would do that big a gap. Phoenix and hallmark don't...

Google images of the specific camper on your ride. The bed lengths vary slightly between manufacturers.

My Toyota Tundra short bed is slightly shorter than the F150 short bed

White Dog

Very nice build!

Some time when you aren't in a hurry, try running at 55 mph. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the gas mileage. I've known the service crew at my Toyota dealership for 30 years. We've discussed mileage with the Tundra. They maintain it is tuned for maximum mileage at 100 km/hr (I'm Canadian) which is just over 60 mph. As soon as you go over that, the mileage declines pretty quickly. I typically get about 19 mpg (imperial gallon - you can do the math) at 100 kph with my Grandby at full travel weight. . That goes up to 22 if I keep the speed at around 90 kph (55 mph). This assumes flat country and minimal wind. Hills and headwind can make a big difference of course. Cruise control also causes a loss in mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles