badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Unless things have changed the 10 hour service is more than just an oil change. Unless maybe yours isn't supercharged. Mine had a special break in oil so I changed oil with a flush oil and ran it for an hour and then changed oil again. I did not have to do the flush but was babying it at that time.

Also oil is changed annually so not 100/200/... You probably know this but wanted to make sure.

Mine are now 14 years old and still run like new. Proper care and they run forever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Oh man if you haven't been paying attention to the industry the last few years things have really changed! The mandatory 10 hour service is no longer required per BRP. BRP changed the requirements from 10 hours to 25 hours in 2012 and then double the 25 hours to 50 in 2017 and then removed them altogether with the newer full sized hull and 1630 engine. The rings should be set within the first 5 hours according to the internet. These skis are also RPM limited (ipso facto speed limited) the first 5 hours. The change from 2 stroke w/carbs to DI to 4 stroke has really changed the landscape and the maintenance scheduled.

I've never heard of running the flush oil for an hour only to change it again. What I've always seen done is add in some sacrificial oil and crank the engine over for about 20 seconds the pump out the rest. I think both would do the same thing, though running flush oil for an hour would probably do it more thoroughly.

I only mentioned hours because growing up we always hit the hour mark before the end of the season, and where I live I will probably be doing the same. We used to de-winterize them in late march, and once summer vacation hit they were in the water 24/7. Go up to grandpa's cabin in Ontario and run from whenever we woke up to sunset. My great uncle still has one of the skis I grew up riding, a 1995 Sea Doo GTX 787 if I'm not mistaken... that ski probably has at least 2500 hours on it, and aside from normal wear and tear I don't think hes had to do much to keep it running. Teach everyone to turn it off once you pass the 2nd sandbar and then pull it up to the second sandbar where we had a permanently mounted mooring line. We had beach carts so we didnt need to take them out [to the boat ramp] at the end of the day.

Heres the link to Owners Manual: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=aa68492c-e28f-4c66-9e87-b53fc23d5215

Page 106 starts the maintenance schedule.

ITTOG

Oh man if you haven't been paying attention to the industry the last few years things have really changed! The mandatory 10 hour service is no longer required per BRP. BRP changed the requirements from 10 hours to 25 hours in 2012 and then double the 25 hours to 50 in 2017 and then removed them altogether with the newer full sized hull and 1630 engine. The rings should be set within the first 5 hours according to the internet. These skis are also RPM limited (ipso facto speed limited) the first 5 hours. The change from 2 stroke w/carbs to DI to 4 stroke has really changed the landscape and the maintenance scheduled.

I've never heard of running the flush oil for an hour only to change it again. What I've always seen done is add in some sacrificial oil and crank the engine over for about 20 seconds the pump out the rest. I think both would do the same thing, though running flush oil for an hour would probably do it more thoroughly.

I only mentioned hours because growing up we always hit the hour mark before the end of the season, and where I live I will probably be doing the same. We used to de-winterize them in late march, and once summer vacation hit they were in the water 24/7. Go up to grandpa's cabin in Ontario and run from whenever we woke up to sunset. My great uncle still has one of the skis I grew up riding, a 1995 Sea Doo GTX 787 if I'm not mistaken... that ski probably has at least 2500 hours on it, and aside from normal wear and tear I don't think hes had to do much to keep it running. Teach everyone to turn it off once you pass the 2nd sandbar and then pull it up to the second sandbar where we had a permanently mounted mooring line. We had beach carts so we didnt need to take them out [to the boat ramp] at the end of the day.

Heres the link to Owners Manual: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=aa68492c-e28f-4c66-9e87-b53fc23d5215

Page 106 starts the maintenance schedule.
I definitely have not watched what SeaDoo or any of the other builders since buying mine. They have been flawless outside of damage I have caused so I couldn't imagine getting new bikes when mine work great. To be honest, I also don't get to ride them much anymore after having surgery on both elbows. In fact my doctor told me to get rid of them. So I am boating and surfing more. I think one bike had about 15 hours on it and the other only 5.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I definitely have not watched what SeaDoo or any of the other builders since buying mine. They have been flawless outside of damage I have caused so I couldn't imagine getting new bikes when mine work great. To be honest, I also don't get to ride them much anymore after having surgery on both elbows. In fact my doctor told me to get rid of them. So I am boating and surfing more. I think one bike had about 15 hours on it and the other only 5.

Oh yeah man its all changed. I'm sorry you haven't had much of a chance to ride, but surfing is an absolute blast and I haven't been out in years. I did some small waves in the Outer banks maybe 3 years ago, and I just haven't had time to to get out.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Been extremely busy the past month and a half. My time off has been limited and parts have remained slow to arrive, however my upgraded power steering reservoir finally showed about a week ago, about a day before I had to roll out for a few days, now that I'm back I went ahead and installed it. What a MESS! I used my suction pump [bought for the oil change on the jet ski] and pulled out as much fluid as I could prior to taking the stock reservoir out and I still made a mess. I didn't take a ton of pictures because my hands were instantly filthy, but in essence I installed the new kit as much as I could before removing the factory lines. The hardest part was the hose clamp on the pump itself, it was pointed down and away from me, so that took some work, but once freed I was able to get it off with a little work. I ended up routing the old return line to the top of the new cooler, and the short line from the cooler to the reservoir (however I think I will replace that sometime soon as its 11/32 whereas the factory is 5/8, plus I can clean up the routing) and then finally I routed the supply to pump itself.

I filled it with a quart of MERCON LV, turned the truck on and that fluid disappeared with the first little crank of the wheel, so onto bottle two. At first there were plenty of noise as the pump worked out the air bubbles that were in the system, I let it run for about 10 minutes while I rocked the steering wheel back and forth and it wasn't making any more noise. I cleaned up and then took it for a short drive right nearby, and it worked like a champ. I'm probably still going to update the supplied hose next time I do a fluid change.

J3Hif0M.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Really lame update, but I've been super busy the past 2 months ago. Turns out you don't have time for adventures, installing parts or even ordering them when you work 70+ hours a week.

My center console lid spring broke a few weeks back and in Fords infinite wisdom they do not sell it as a stand alone item. You have to purchase the whole lid assembly, which starts at 180 depending on the exact trim of the truck... soooo I just picked up a cheapo lid that came with a pretty stout spring assembly and only used that.... so if anyone of you need a lid cover I got you!

The old factory one that broke:

zDpm7CJ.jpg

And the new one:

g4tZdVh.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I finally had a day off, having a lot of 6 day work weeks... anyways I serviced the power steering reservoir. I really hated how the return line from cooler was routed (see post 244) and I also didnt like that the inner diameter was just a fraction too small to placed over both barbs on the cooler connection. So I swapped that out and since I had to drain it anyways I threw on a slightly larger K&N filter. I originally wanted to put on a Wix filter that was about an inch longer for more volume, but the local auto parts store was out. Threw in just over a quart of new fluid and allowed the air bubbles to cycle out. Its super overboard to change out fluid with less than 5k miles on it, but I really wanted to reroute the return line and put the new filter on.

The final product:

rZbgrGk.jpg

And if you want to see me struggle doing it you can check it out here:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
So are you finding you are posting to your YouTube channel more so than posting here nowadays?

The last truck related video on my youtube channel was back in July, I'm not going to spam unrelated videos on here. Most of my off time has been me either at the gym or trying to run to the boat ramp before sunset at 440pm. I've also had to curb my overnight/weekend camping trips as I've been on 2 hour recall for large chunks of the past few months. I'm not going to post much if I don't have much of an update, though if all goes to plan I should have some pretty big suspension updates when I get back [from deployment] in 2022.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The last truck related video on my youtube channel was back in July, I'm not going to spam unrelated videos on here. Most of my off time has been me either at the gym or trying to run to the boat ramp before sunset at 440pm. I've also had to curb my overnight/weekend camping trips as I've been on 2 hour recall for large chunks of the past few months. I'm not going to post much if I don't have much of an update, though if all goes to plan I should have some pretty big suspension updates when I get back [from deployment] in 2022.
Stay Safe!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Finally got my title, had paid it off almost a year ago and for whatever reason the title got lost in the sauce. The bank told me it was sent like 8 months ago, I said I never received it they started giving me a bunch of prepackaged answers and run around. Finally yesterday I come home to letter from them dated the 18th. So did they just drag their feet, was it lost and returned and sent back out? I don't care if things take a while to get sorted but I want someone to at least know what the hell is going on. You'd think they send it with a tracking number.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Been extremely busy and had a lot of life issues get in the way of me continuing this build.

Originally I had a whole smattering of mods planned (full suspension, new winch, a few other quality of life mods) , followed by an Alaska/Arctic circle trip, but life happens and I had to scrap all of it. Obviously I was broken hearted that my plans fell through.

I had been kind of upset as this was a huge plan of mine for a few years and had been pushed back by deployment, then covid, then taking over a failing division (and fixing it completely) to deploying again. I finally had an opportunity to take charge of some of these things that had been in the way of my enjoyment...

So last week I left the military, bought a rooftop tent and decided to spent the next few months travelling. I went up to visit with some friends in Oxnard/Thousand Oaks area before spending a long weekend in Vegas (and yes, what happens there... stays there). I picked up a new Mt. Hood roof top tent from the CVT shop in Vegas, and I will be honest I cannot say enough about them! They were great people and truly made sure I was taken care of!

nHOLuAe.jpg

I then headed out to Moab, Utah as an almost religious like pilgrimage to the mecca of offroading.

AW9qMZN.jpg

So whats next? Well I'm driving up to Michigan to drop off the jetski at my Moms (thanks Mom!) and then I'm going to install some Icon leaf springs to help compensate for the added weight and then going to do a few more shakedown runs [in late April into May] with my truck before I do a trip to Canada and then Upper Peninsula. I will probably head out to Florida for a gig I have lined up but I'm already in talks for a job in Alaska so we will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles