badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
After a few weeks of debating what way I wanted to get with on board air, I decided to go with an air tank. Partially due to comfort level with it, and cost. Originally I had considered going to full onboard air like I had on my Jeep, but unlike my Jeep I really didn't have a need to have all the weight on board all the time since my lockers aren't air lockers. Plus cost really wasn't appealing for me, and reasonably I was looking at losing the normal spot for my spare tire. While I normally leave it in my bed these days, I do like having the option to throw it back in the spot if I need the full bed.

msEsK2h.jpg

Next up I have a few days planned for Joshua Tree. I may bite the bullet and pick up a roof top tent here soon, but so far I'm still happy with my choice to plan my trips around hotel stays. And I'll probably return to Anza Borrego again later this month.

I have a few more black friday purchases that will be coming down the line here soon!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm not super happy with my viair. Going from 50 ish psi to 80 ish psi is basically impossible on all four tires with my $100 unit. It would take maybe two hours, I gave up after an hour. Guess I should have paid more.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'm not super happy with my viair. Going from 50 ish psi to 80 ish psi is basically impossible on all four tires with my $100 unit. It would take maybe two hours, I gave up after an hour. Guess I should have paid more.

See I had a single motor ARB compressor and it was kind of slow but not horrendous with the 33s (well.. 295/75R16) on the Jeep. It would take a minute, but it wasn't straining the compressor too much. Plus those I ran about 42ish on the street. I think my truck right now is like 38 or 40, any lower and the light comes on.

I basically went with the tank because I have access to an high pressure oil free nitrogen source at work and filling it with co2 shouldn't be too expensive based on my limited time playing paint ball with friends. I was concerned that if I went with a basic air pump that it would be more likely to leave me high and dry than a tank.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
See I had a single motor ARB compressor and it was kind of slow but not horrendous with the 33s (well.. 295/75R16) on the Jeep. It would take a minute, but it wasn't straining the compressor too much. Plus those I ran about 42ish on the street. I think my truck right now is like 38 or 40, any lower and the light comes on.

I basically went with the tank because I have access to an high pressure oil free nitrogen source at work and filling it with co2 shouldn't be too expensive based on my limited time playing paint ball with friends. I was concerned that if I went with a basic air pump that it would be more likely to leave me high and dry than a tank.

The advantage of co2 is that it is a liquid in the tank and when it transitions to gas it has an expansion factor of about 10 to 1

Co2 prices do vary from welding shop to shop with my usual shop giving me the best deal.

Also using co2 an exchange tank is a lot easier but not as pretty

I have had issues with the quick disconnects on the regulator leaking due to freezing so mine are now in the end of a 12 foot rubber air hose

The plastic air lines can have serious issues in the cold weather or from cold co2

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
The advantage of co2 is that it is a liquid in the tank and when it transitions to gas it has an expansion factor of about 10 to 1

Co2 prices do vary from welding shop to shop with my usual shop giving me the best deal.

Also using co2 an exchange tank is a lot easier but not as pretty

I have had issues with the quick disconnects on the regulator leaking due to freezing so mine are now in the end of a 12 foot rubber air hose

The plastic air lines can have serious issues in the cold weather or from cold co2

You're preaching to the choir my man! like I said i have access to nitrogen although I understand co2 would be the most efficient. Prices seem to be pretty cheap; I have a buddy who is a fire marshal and said CO2 rates are stupid cheap nearby. I'll keep an eye out for any issues with the lines, thank you for the heads up.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I looked at getting one of those tanks but I get tired of filling bottles for welding so I just decided to go with the compressor. It also didn't help that I wasn't sure where I'd go and only found a couple places near me that would do it.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I looked at getting one of those tanks but I get tired of filling bottles for welding so I just decided to go with the compressor. It also didn't help that I wasn't sure where I'd go and only found a couple places near me that would do it.

I kind of thought about the same thing from my days a diver. Sure the air for those are a bit more specific, but the hassle remains the same. Thankfully I'm in an area that has a lot of options.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I spent the last week in Joshua Tree camping and earning my stripes.

2aK2t7a.jpg

KOh1oXa.jpg

Does anyone make a differential skid plate? .... asking for a friend.

Here are a few more pictures from the park.

8910vcK.jpg

Petroglyphs near Barker Dam.

RAE5aZd.jpg

Keys view (looking south west). Salton Sea was just barely visible during the trip.

n42eb00.jpg

One of the random rock formations in the park.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94