badm0t0rfinger's 2014 Raptor build

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I've been super busy on the road the last few days and finally got a bit of time to sort thru the images and videos I got from my trip!

I had to pack up the truck and say goodbye to my neighborhood chicken, Kevin (yes, I know). The truck was filled to the brim with junk, but it felt still felt really planted and I ended up getting around 14.5 mpg while on the backroads and highways going about 60 and closer to 13 mpg while on the interstate going about 80.

bD6NEEz.jpg

Here was the setup that I ended up using to capture video and navigate/record my track.

QGUWbrJ.jpg

And the night before I left I decided to take a timelapse of the two main tunnels in the Hampton Roads area. There is another one but the toll is like 15 bucks and it would have taken more than hour out and back again.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Won’t get too far on Pikes Peak in April. Or May. Or a good part of June.

The Super Duty trans cooler you installed..... it’s not that big. Of course the factory cooler is itty-bitty. The Super Duty looks to be twice as big. Do you monitor trans temps? See any difference? I know the 6R80 is thermostatically controlled so you might not see much difference except in the hottest conditions.

I installed the 6.0L diesel trans cooler on my 2000 Expedition. That thing is massive. Different transmissions- one is a clutch trans and one is a servo trans, so it’s not a 1-for-1.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Won’t get too far on Pikes Peak in April. Or May. Or a good part of June.

The Super Duty trans cooler you installed..... it’s not that big. Of course the factory cooler is itty-bitty. The Super Duty looks to be twice as big. Do you monitor trans temps? See any difference? I know the 6R80 is thermostatically controlled so you might not see much difference except in the hottest conditions.

I installed the 6.0L diesel trans cooler on my 2000 Expedition. That thing is massive. Different transmissions- one is a clutch trans and one is a servo trans, so it’s not a 1-for-1.

Yeah you're not the first person to tell me that, I'm just trying to be optimistic, and if thats the case I will plan accordingly. I will be in California for the next few years so I should have time to do a trip back that way when weather is more appropriate. I'm adventurous, not stupid!

Yep, the Super Duty trans cooler isn't much of an upgrade, but some people who run their trucks much much harder than I do swear by it, so it makes sense that I might not see any differences until its on the edge. Mishimoto makes one thats even a bit bigger than that, but at almost 3 times the cost I decided to pass. It adds just a tiny bit peace of mind. I don't have a monitoring system as of right now, but sometimes when I'm driving I'll switch over the the vehicle gauges screen and check trans temp. I drove about 600 miles and just about 8 hours on Sunday and aside from a few stops (pee breaks, gas and food) it was nonstop and I think the highest temp I saw was 203.

How much trimming or modification did you have to do to get that to work? I just checked it out and that thing looks MASSIVE.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Years ago I cooked a transmission in my Mazda 626 years ago due to insufficient cooling. Ever since I’ve made trans cooling a priority.

I've been researching this upgrade and it seems like it is worth it.

On my 2000 Expedition it was a totally different animal. You could get it work on your Raptor. I came up with my own mounting.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Years ago I cooked a transmission in my Mazda 626 years ago due to insufficient cooling. Ever since I’ve made trans cooling a priority.

I've been researching this upgrade and it seems like it is worth it.

On my 2000 Expedition it was a totally different animal. You could get it work on your Raptor. I came up with my own mounting.

I've had overheating issues, both engine and trans, in a few of my cars over the years so that stuff takes priority for me. Later this year I'll be upgrading the radiator (I haven't picked the brand just yet) and going with a 170 or 180 thermostat.

I may look into something in the future, but I have to leave space for a power steering cooler I'll eventually get around to.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
On the first post of my thread I stated that I received it late February, but Facebook is claiming that today is 5 years since I received it on island.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Build's coming together really nice.
Don't know about the Ford product line, but the GM power steering cooler is a narrow upright thing, would be easy to plumb to your no-pressure return side.

right edge of this image

winch086 front plug trans cooler.jpg

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Build's coming together really nice.
Don't know about the Ford product line, but the GM power steering cooler is a narrow upright thing, would be easy to plumb to your no-pressure return side.

right edge of this image

winch086 front plug trans cooler.jpg

Thanks dude! The Raptor does not have a power steering cooler stock and thats a real weak point in my opinion. I'm not in a position where its a must but I'd rather over build and over protect on something like that before I go to 37s. I mean I'm already running beadlocks and those are stupid heavy, but not close to what some of these guys are running (37s and even a few with 39s).

I've looked over a ton of kits and there are a few that I like. This is pretty close to something I would get: https://gj-motorsports.com/Ford-F-150/2010-2014-F-150-Power-Steering-Reservoir or https://leepowersteering.com/products/2010-2014-ford-raptor-power-steering-pump-kit-high-performance

Howe makes a kit too but its super overkill in my opinion. Additionally I remember one guy [on the Raptor forum] stating that it screams when not under load, so its a pain to deal with as a daily driver and my truck is going to my daily for at least a few more years.

Yeah so that upgrade is probably something I'll be doing before my next set of tires, which will probably be 37s... but then I have to look into gearing (4.56s?) and suspension clearances. I'd rather have 35s and beat on it than 37s and have to constantly worry about rubbing or bottoming out and chewing up the tires.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
When do you leave for the trip?

I left on the 29th. I took the long way around from Virginia through Outer Banks before cutting west towards Raleigh and then southwest towards Atlanta. I also spent a few hours in Uwharrie National Forest and what a lovely place; I wish I had spent more time that way before leaving. I have a Gaia tracker that I've used since I left and will upload the .GPX file once I'm down with the trip. I'm in Atlanta right now for about 2 more weeks and then I'll be heading north and spending a few days with family before heading west. I'd still LOVE to incorporate a bunch of fire roads and trails into my drive in Colorado but I've been warned by a few on here and other places as well that April in Colorado is not really the best time to explore backroads with how quickly weather can change in addition to those areas being untouched from any previous rain or snow.

I've timelapsed my drive so far, and oh lord its gonna be a long one. I also need to finish up a few videos regarding the last few things I did before leaving on the trip (brakes, power steering fluid "flush" and new skid plates).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz