Bad Wheeling Day.....

99wj

Adventurer
Yeah... Ended up having to take the creek route, so i wheeled down the whole thing with no problem and there was a fallen tree at the end... bummer, on the way back i guess my rig found the deepest spot and the softest sand, hehe. Take enjoyment in the following pics, the last one is the best, its my spare tire area where i store all my tools and stuff. Also the river claimed the following...
  • Compresser (water damaged)
  • Jump Box (water damage)
  • All door speakers and amp (water)
  • Both front cv axles (gonna see how long i can drive on those....)
  • $120 of my dollars for recovery
  • nice waterlogged carpets :) :)

*Pics edited, They were pics of me in a small runoff creek, but I took them down for the sake of treading lightly, you can still enjoy the pic of my jeep filled with water :):):)

post up some pics of your bad wheeling day, too... i know ya got em :)

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Where were you? Traveling in streams isn't normally considered to be Treading Lightly. One thing to cross a stream another to just drive down one.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
he lives in georgia, buddy, some trails in the south are ALL streambed. :D

Some filled with water, some not...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Always remember to be kind and let your friend go ahead of you!....:costumed-smiley-007

cocco78

Adventurer
Yeah, I might take those pics down before they get used against you. Its not good to wheel in rivers even down south. We got Tellico taken away from us because of silt from trails around the Tellico river got into the river and was supposedly hurting the trout... And that was a huge off-road park. Here in Michigan the DNR can confiscate your rig and slap you with some heafty fines for that!

99wj

Adventurer
This particular creek, is actually just a runoff from the local water plant and pretty much man made, there is really no wildlife in it, that being said, I do FIRMLY believe in treading lightly and really try to avoid going up any creeks or rivers, so as not to harm wildlife and make it worse for the wheeling community, point taken.... :)

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We got Tellico taken away from us because of silt from trails around the Tellico river got into the river and was supposedly hurting the trout... And that was a huge off-road park.
...which we in the area find hilarious since the runoff from the golfcourses in the area is much more harmful to the environment.
It's not the silt they were after; they're hunting Rednecks.
And they're winning.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
This particular creek, is actually just a runoff from the local water plant and pretty much man made, there is really no wildlife in it, that being said, I do FIRMLY believe in treading lightly and really try to avoid going up any creeks or rivers, so as not to harm wildlife and make it worse for the wheeling community, point taken.... :)

-Devin Roy
Thanks for clarification, Devin.

RedRocker

Adventurer
It's like the gun issue, you're letting the opposition define the terms of the argument.
Like "assault rifle", a lot of this tread lightly stuff is way over blown. I saw some brown sticks blocking dry sand washes, they were always fair game since blow sand is kind of hard to damage, but not any more. Stay on the trail, don't litter and so on, but driving down a creek isn't gonna destroy the planet. I'd guess the runoff of salt and chemicals in to our water system is much worse, but you hear nothing about that. IMHO.:ylsmoke:

toyrunner95

Explorer
Its irritating how butt hurt some people get over the smallest things. Im all for treading lightly. But some people need an education in nature and the enviroment before they start making assumptions. Up here in king county they pretty much shot themselves in the foot be making public gathering so stringent in the permit process and enviromental impact that they cant hold their own gatherings where they want because it will damage the enviroment.

Its irritating how butt hurt some people get over the smallest things. Im all for treading lightly. But some people need an education in nature and the enviroment before they start making assumptions. Up here in king county they pretty much shot themselves in the foot be making public gathering so stringent in the permit process and enviromental impact that they cant hold their own gatherings where they want because it will damage the enviroment.

I understand both sides of the argument. I don't know the guy driving the Grand Cherokee, or his driving habits. I don't know the situation he was in that led to his truck being stuck in the water, or whether it was necessary or not. I'm not one to scold someone for doing something when I really don't know what was actually going on. And I know that crap happens sometimes...

On the other hand, I don't think it's 'cool' to get stuck, and don't subscribe to the 'more stuck the funnier' frame of mind. Especially when the situation does end up being harsh to the environment. Water crossings are generally difficult to handle, and I don't think someone should take chances when they aren't prepared to get themselves out of a possible and probable mess.

Whether this water crossing was just or not, it's these kind of pictures that will and are being used against the off-highway travel community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles