Bad (or loose) knuckle seal on Quigley 4x4 front diff?

Hello All,

(posted in Sportsmobile section as well - but thought this might be better location?)

Recently picked up a Quigley 4x4 and although it has been maintained regularly (70K miles) I'm seeing something that could be amiss on the front diff knuckle joint - see photo - looks like the knuckle seal has eather popped out or has split in two? The diagram I have seen shows the seal being much wider than this looks.

It is the same on BOTH sides - coincidence? This rubber-ish "ring" is just kind of dangling there free, although it does stay inward when I don't push on it with my finger - and it looks to have been this was for a LONG time.

Is this normal... or do I have a job ahead of me?

KnuckleSeal.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Nothing to be alarmed about, its more of a dust seal than anything. If you're not spending time in water crossings nothing will be hurt. They're a bit of a job to get to so plan on it eventually. Dana/Spicer part # 50381.

Nothing to be alarmed about, its more of a dust seal than anything. If you're not spending time in water crossings nothing will be hurt. They're a bit of a job to get to so plan on it eventually. Dana/Spicer part # 50381.

Thanks for the reply... did these just pop out, or did they get worn in half..... with he other half inside behind the retaining "collar/ring"?

SirMrManGuy

Observer
If you don't feel like doing it yourself, pretty much any mechanic who's works on US made 4wd pickups should be able to do it. There is nothing special about that axle that quigley does other than the brackets for the suspension, the rest is standard Dana Spicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94