Backyard Trip Today

trailsurfer

Explorer
A buddy of mine suggested a ride around our "Backyard" today.

We headed out to Dolores from Durango and took the back way to Telluride.
4025379114_710fd9e68e_o.jpg
4024625553_83cfb2e6ed_o.jpg

Outside of Dunton
4025381262_b400f0bd89_o.jpg
4024628805_fbaeaa333a_o.jpg

Coming into Telluride
4024629459_3ea8a80f97_o.jpg

Leaving Telluride on Last Dollar Road
4025383228_e4d3f7a3b7_o.jpg
4024631349_c32c97852e_o.jpg

Approaching Ouray from Ridgeway
4024632601_1574b89c01_o.jpg

Great weather and the scenery could not have been better.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great post Mike.

How do the AT tires do on the gravel? I ran a set of Scorpion ATs on the KTM through the Steen Mountains, and it was not as scary as I expected.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Great post Mike.

How do the AT tires do on the gravel? I ran a set of Scorpion ATs on the KTM through the Steen Mountains, and it was not as scary as I expected.

The Metzler Tourance's work pretty well. It is all I have used riding all over the passes here in Colorado as well as the sand and dirt/gravel of Utah. Just like at Overland training, airing down makes a huge difference.

I have wanted to get the Continental TKC's, but I am not crazy about wearing them out in only 3,000 miles.

So the tires I am putting on in the next few days are the Heidenau K 60's. They have gotten great reviews, same mileage durability as the Tourance's, and much more aggressive off road tread.

Here is the link,

http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/new/productsnew_b.html

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
AWESOME pictures and a couple of great bikes! Thanks for sharing!

I ran a set of Scorpion ATs on the KTM through the Steen Mountains, and it was not as scary as I expected.
I loved the Scorpions on my 950. They really are a "true" AT tire: great in the twisties and pretty impressive on the trail.

trailsurfer said:
The Metzler Tourance's work pretty well. It is all I have used riding all over the passes here in Colorado as well as the sand and dirt/gravel of Utah.
You're a better rider than I. Sand and Tourances on my 1200 are a bad combo no matter how much I air down.

trailsurfer said:
I have wanted to get the Continental TKC's, but I am not crazy about wearing them out in only 3,000 miles.
FWIW- I'm at 4500 miles on my TKC's and just getting to where I need a new rear. Front still has lots of life left. The TKC's completely changed the offroad manners of my 1200 and are surprisingly good on the slab.

Scott Brady

Founder
Heidenau K 60's.

Those look like a slightly more aggressive Scorpion AT. I like it.

On the 950, the TKCs only lasted 2,200 miles of the TAT. Destroyed.

In my experience (and I am no expert at moto stuff), the front tire seems to be the key in the dirt. The knobbies I am running on the KTM now are so sure-footed in the dirt, both braking and turning. Serious confidence in soft/loose terrain. However, they are just too gnarly for the street/highway. A set of D606 would be better IMO.

pirelli_scorpion_pro.jpg

The rears in that image are now toast. 850 miles ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles