Backpack/Sling

fnjeep314

Observer
Wasn't sure if this topic would go here, but it kinda seems like a better place than other forums, but if not please let me know.

What is your choice of backpack for a day away from the car or camp?

I was rocking a 5.11 sling that has proven to be just too small.

I have been using a Dragogear laptop bag for the last two years and love the quality but have found that i cram too much stuff in it .I have recently moved to a slightly smaller sling that still have plenty of room .

pluton

Adventurer
I have been impressed with the design features and build quality of Osprey packs in recent years. Also they have good customer service. Like all companies, they discontinue the products that I really like. First thing is decide what size you need for a 'day away from car or camp.'

fnjeep314

Observer
I have been impressed with the design features and build quality of Osprey packs in recent years. Also they have good customer service. Like all companies, they discontinue the products that I really like. First thing is decide what size you need for a 'day away from car or camp.'
Yeah I have 3 kids and dad(me) is usually the pack mule. So I know that there will be things like hats, sunscreen and possibly 2 or 3 change of clothes(my kids are 10, 5 and 3 almost 4), but in the fall or spring I know there will be jackets or sweatshirts. I picked up an Outdoors Products Quest backpack for this summer trip coming up. I know we will be in Savannah and also at the beach possibly in the same day. We will also have out dog with us, so some water and a foldable water bowl will be needed too.

I know I always love it when I find a great bag or backpack and then the manufacture stops making it. Drives me nuts! I will usually try to hit up the used market to get another one, if I can.

pluton

Adventurer
I know I always love it when I find a great bag or backpack and then the manufacture stops making it. Drives me nuts! I will usually try to hit up the used market to get another one, if I can.
I'll try that for my beloved but worn out Osprey pack; I sent it to Osprey for them to install a new zipper---they refused to repair it, and instead told me to pick a new replacement from their website. Very nice, but I really liked the design of the old one!

Reactions: WVI

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
What is your choice of backpack for a day away from the car or camp?

I was rocking a 5.11 sling that has proven to be just too small.
This is one of those topics I find dear to my heart when adventuring; products that serve me well, are multi-purpose, and meant to be used and last a long time. Excuse me for going on at length about what I've found most useful over the years. ?

I am out adventuring a lot. My choice of backpack depends on what I'm doing and who might be with me when away for from vehicle or camp.

If I'm day-hiking, biking, or canoeing--especially when with others who may have their own packs stuffed--I use a simple inexpensive unstructured day pack, in which I keep:
- a change of whatever clothes I might need for the day's activities
- a lightweight rain-jacket if rain is likely
- usually a field-guide or two
- basic first-aid supplies
- a compass and paper map, if available
- some basic "get-by-if-I-need-it" gear like a length of survival paracord (that has fishing line, snare wire, waterproof tinder twine, etc as part of the inner cording)
- an FPG Thermashield; simply the best heat-reflective adventure field blanket (whether keeping heat out or in) I've ever used. Compact, multi-layered and multi-purpose, mil spec, and durable. I have several.
- snack bars, gorp mix, can of herring or sardines, and cheese/crackers/apple, etc for a quick non-cooked energy-boosting meal
- sometimes my self-contained JetBoil Flash with fuel, coffee, and add-water packet meal
- water

venture-pal-daypack_8461n-900n.jpeg
There's always a day pack or two close at hand; packed and ready to go for that day's activities.

Over the decades, camping in and exploring a ton of different environments around Europe and North America, I've found the inexpensive Venture Pal Ultralights, as seen above, to be just the thing for me. I find them preferable now over rigid or overly constructed backpacks that take up room in my vehicle when not in use.

They are so inxepensive I keep several, actually, of different colors; with one ready to go for canoeing, another for day hikes, and another for bike rides. I keep my orange one ready for day adventures when I think the need may arise for the color to signal in case of emergency.

They are completely unstructured and pack into their own front pouch for stashing away when not in use. Just a simple, rugged, lightweight day pack.

If others are joining me, whether kid or adult, they each get one of the same day packs to carry their own stuff for beach, day hikes, bike rides, or canoe paddle. Kids like knowing they have their own stuff. If hiking and it's going to be on our backs all day, I'll stuff a map or magazine, or piece of thin closed-cell foam like a seat pad inside against the back for comfort carrying all day.

* For a more structured pack or get-home type back pack, the best all-around pack I've found is the Helikon-Tex BOB Backpack, which is an amazing multi-purpose bit of kit. I have a number of Helikon-Tex items, from their Bushcraft Satchel to clothing, and can say all of their gear has served me extremely well. They are a Polish company aimed to provide tactical gear, mostly for shooters, and though I'm not, I've found their products to be perfect for my style of adventuring. #noaffiliation - I just really love their stuff.

This backpack is--for me at least--the perfect all-around pack. I often use it when venturing away from camp for just the day but want a more organized pack in which to carry a variety of gear. I like that I can keep it packed with all sorts of stuff; from bushcraft to survival gear to everyday camp stuff. It is always there and ready to work.

helikon-tex-BOB_3628n-800n-crp.jpg....helikon-tex-BOB_3538-800n.jpeg
It is loaded with molle, pockets, and zippered compartments for securing gear, personal items, and maps, etc, inside and out.

helikon-tex-BOB_3547-900n.jpeg
It comes with a quilted seat pad and a detachable front bag, which is meant for ammo magazines but is very useful for things like first-aid items and energy snacks, etc.

helikon-tex-BOB_3625-800n.jpeg
Zippered mesh pouch and hanging loop on the inside top. All high quality, quick-drying materials.

helikon-tex-BOB_3624-800n.jpeg....helikon-tex-BOB_3623-800n.jpeg
The front zips down completely to provide full access to contents and makes a kneeling pad when un-zipped down completely; handy when away from vehicle or camp for bushcraft, quick meal prep, or applying first-aid while keeping the contents of your pack close.
helikon-tex-BOB_3643n-900n.jpg
The pack opens up completely, if you like, for a back-of-the-seat organizer in your vehicle, keeping most-needed items close at hand.

It's a quick, easy move to grab it from the seat back, cinch up the built-in closing straps with buckles, zip it up, and be on the move with all you need.

helikon-tex-BOB_3534-800n.jpg
The shoulder straps are comfortable, adjustable, and have their own attachment points for quick-to-use gear on your chest while on the move.

Do a search and watch the vids on the Helikon-Tex BOB (aimed more at tactical shooters) to see more of it's potential as an adventuring back pack. I'm not an avid shooter, at all, but love mine for all sorts of adventuring.

Last edited:

fnjeep314

Observer
This is one of those topics I find dear to my heart when adventuring; products that serve me well, are multi-purpose, and meant to be used and last a long time. Excuse me for going on at length about what I've found most useful over the years. ?

I am out adventuring a lot. My choice of backpack depends on what I'm doing and who might be with me when away for from vehicle or camp.

If I'm day-hiking, biking, or canoeing--especially when with others who may have their own packs stuffed--I use a simple inexpensive unstructured day pack, in which I keep:
- a change of whatever clothes I might need for the day's activities
- a lightweight rain-jacket if rain is likely
- usually a field-guide or two
- basic first-aid supplies
- a compass and paper map, if available
- some basic "get-by-if-I-need-it" gear like a length of survival paracord (that has fishing line, snare wire, waterproof tinder twine, etc as part of the inner cording)
- an FPG Thermashield; simply the best heat-reflective adventure field blanket (whether keeping heat out or in) I've ever used. Compact, multi-layered and multi-purpose, mil spec, and durable. I have several.
- snack bars, gorp mix, can of herring or sardines, and cheese/crackers/apple, etc for a quick non-cooked energy-boosting meal
- sometimes my self-contained JetBoil Flash with fuel, coffee, and add-water packet meal
- water

View attachment 668224
There's always a day pack or two close at hand; packed and ready to go for that day's activities.

Over the decades, camping in and exploring a ton of different environments around Europe and North America, I've found the inexpensive Venture Pal Ultralights, as seen above, to be just the thing for me. I find them preferable now over rigid or overly constructed backpacks that take up room in my vehicle when not in use.

They are so inxepensive I keep several, actually, of different colors; with one ready to go for canoeing, another for day hikes, and another for bike rides. I keep my orange one ready for day adventures when I think the need may arise for the color to signal in case of emergency.

They are completely unstructured and pack into their own front pouch for stashing away when not in use. Just a simple, rugged, lightweight day pack.

If others are joining me, whether kid or adult, they each get one of the same day packs to carry their own stuff for beach, day hikes, bike rides, or canoe paddle. Kids like knowing they have their own stuff. If hiking and it's going to be on our backs all day, I'll stuff a map or magazine, or piece of thin closed-cell foam like a seat pad inside against the back for comfort carrying all day.

* For a more structured pack or get-home type back pack, the best all-around pack I've found is the Helikon-Tex BOB Backpack, which is an amazing multi-purpose bit of kit. I have a number of Helikon-Tex items, from their Bushcraft Satchel to clothing, and can say all of their gear has served me extremely well. They are a Polish company aimed to provide tactical gear, mostly for shooters, and though I'm not, I've found their products to be perfect for my style of adventuring. #noaffiliation - I just really love their stuff.

This backpack is--for me at least--the perfect all-around pack. I often use it when venturing away from camp for just the day but want a more organized pack in which to carry a variety of gear. I like that I can keep it packed with all sorts of stuff; from bushcraft to survival gear to everyday camp stuff. It is always there and ready to work.

View attachment 668222....View attachment 668215
It is loaded with molle, pockets, and zippered compartments for securing gear, personal items, and maps, etc, inside and out.

View attachment 668216
It comes with a quilted seat pad and a detachable front bag, which is meant for ammo magazines but is very useful for things like first-aid items and energy snacks, etc.

View attachment 668220
Zippered mesh pouch and hanging loop on the inside top. All high quality, quick-drying materials.

View attachment 668219....View attachment 668218
The front zips down completely to provide full access to contents and makes a kneeling pad when un-zipped down completely; handy when away from vehicle or camp for bushcraft, quick meal prep, or applying first-aid while keeping the contents of your pack close.
View attachment 668223
The pack opens up completely, if you like, for a back-of-the-seat organizer in your vehicle, keeping most-needed items close at hand.

It's a quick, easy move to grab it from the seat back, cinch up the built-in closing straps with buckles, zip it up, and be on the move with all you need.

View attachment 668214
The shoulder straps are comfortable, adjustable, and have their own attachment points for quick-to-use gear on your chest while on the move.

Do a search and watch the vids on the Helikon-Tex BOB (aimed more at tactical shooters) to see more of it's potential as an adventuring back pack. I'm not an avid shooter, at all, but love mine for all sorts of adventuring.

That was a great write up! I think Im going to get some of those venture pal backpacks for my kids!

This is exactly what I was hoping this thread would turn into. A good resource on packs for everyone. I know people carry backpacks when they travel, so it makes sense to have a thread about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles