Backend Bottoms out easily...

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have the same problem with riding low in the rear and hitting bumpstops when going over a bump. Anyone have any opinions on the Teraflex Outback springs? I've been considering getting those for the rear since they come in a longer length than OME.
Folks seem to like them..but I believe they are 3" or better. I'm happy with a 2" lift as I'll be running sub 35s for the foreseeable future.

sent via the cone of silence

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yes it does.

Definitely compresses more than stock...hard to say if it bottoms out anymore or less than stock. The shocks and Mopar lift kit have about 20k miles. No evidence of oil leakage. I pulled the shocks off the lower mount and while not a meaningful test, are quite hard to compress.

A conversation with Fox at the Expo, the Prod Mgr said the Mopar kit shocks were valved per Mopar spec to be quite compliant. More so than their typical Fox stock replacements - that surprised me as I didn't think they were unique to the kit. He suggested I moved towards an adj remote reservoir shock (2.0 or 2.5?)with internal "bump stop" - don't recall the term, but basically it has increased hydraulic resistance as the shock near full compression at speed.

I don't recall your suspension setup in your rig - did you pull your bags off and replace with springs?

My setup was the teraflex leveling kit, 18/59 springs, airbags in the springs, and using Monroe reflex. If you want to try airbags, just measure the inside dimensions of your springs out of your jeep, and then, call airlift to get a p/n to order. They are cheap as chips and work great. It sounds lilke your springs are not stiff enough for your jeep.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Actually I did read the starter thread and I am not here to fight so you should have the same courtesy for me.
My neighbor has a YJ with 44" tires, SBC, D60 axles locked, 4 link suspension, custom bumpers front and rear,winch. He has teased me by saying that I hate his Jeep. I don't hate his Jeep. I hate the fact that he can't pay his rent or utility bills some months because he is throwing so much money at the Jeep or his toys he bought for his photography sideline.

Sounds to me like jealousy and envy on unkamonkey's part....you are coming of like a bitter twat in this thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My setup was the teraflex leveling kit, 18/59 springs, airbags in the springs, and using Monroe reflex. If you want to try airbags, just measure the inside dimensions of your springs out of your jeep, and then, call airlift to get a p/n to order. They are cheap as chips and work great. It sounds lilke your springs are not stiff enough for your jeep.

This is the Air Lift kit for the JKU: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60817/applications

I'll be installing this kit in mine as soon as I decide where to mount the pressure gauge (which isn't part of the kit BTW).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
He has a 2 inch spring lift...so his bags will be longer!

Actually no, he won't need longer bags. The Air Lift 1000 bags work by exerting pressure on the inside of the coils, not on the top and bottom. By exerting pressure on the inside of the coils the bags make the springs stiffer. As long as whatever springs he's got have the same inside diameter as the factory springs, the kit I linked to will work fine.

Bushmaster5K

Thx for the response...do you happen to have a link for the videos? I must be missing something?

I had 700# in the back today spread out somewhat evenly - and nothing else. Squatting didn't seem all that bad. However, I was hitting the bumpstops far more often than I recall with my stock setup. I also took my dump trailer down the dump...very heavy and the bottoming was pretty noticeable.

After this next trip, I will be looking into new springs. Let me know how you like this new setup over the Mopar kit.

Hopefully the youtube links work.

Unboxing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxY_4VyP83I
I believe Brad mentions, Overlanding 2.5" kit and that the rear springs are 3.5" for weight capacity

The install video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMN1rziG5SM&t=4s

Running the "John Bull Trail" after install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-kMJIoineI

Hope this helps. I will be either changing the rear springs at a later date or this lift kit.

*TRD*

Observer
The Mopar version of the Fox shocks are EXTREMELY soft, we hear a lot of complaints about how soft they are.

We can re-valve them to a stiffer setting that won't bottom out as easily and will make the Jeep more fun offroad.

What is the post about again?

Springs? The Neighbor? New vs Old Jeeps? German?

I simply hope the OP solves his dilemma of bottoming out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
What is the post about again?

Springs? The Neighbor? New vs Old Jeeps? German?

I simply hope the OP solves his dilemma of bottoming out.

It's about a guy (me) trying to figure out the deal with his soft Mopar 2.5" lift springs and softly valved Fox shocks on a Jeep JKU used for overlanding... And some helpful folks chiming in with suggestions...

And don't forget.... a troll and his +1 or +4 ranting about old houses and people dropping coin on their hobbies, a Vulva, oh and something about people forgetting how to speak. Pretty ridoclous at this point....but humorous since it has NotHInG to do with my post.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
So I'm out overlanding again for the 4th on a 10 day trip...And like an idiot completely forgot to take pics of Rubi all loaded. She and the little trailer are basically empty of the extra cargo since I setup Basecamp today. I promise pics once I am all loaded up again on Wednesday....

Family joins me tomorrow for 5 day base camp. Dog and I slept in the Jeep until my future Jeeper and my soulmate arrives tomorrow. (For those that need a 2nd language ...Krásná manželka a mladý syn)

Oh how my Jeep loves her rear bump stops. Pogo bounce...I love the soft landing of those sumospring replacement bumps.

Measured it this time...am down about 1-1.5". Not a big deal since it has a rake when empty. I don't think this is an unreasonable amount of weight..see below.

Stock front and rear bumper. 285 duratrac on stock rim hanging off the back.

Here is my load in the Jeep:

This is in the cargo area....225-250# or so.
Dometic 65cfx ~70# with food/beer
Dog food...20#
Dry Human food...20#
Clothes bag 30#
Misc hiking & backpacking gear 25#
Compressor 7#
Misc stuff 10#
Laptop Bag & Camera 10#
Tailgate table - 20# ( I think)
2.5 gal of water - 20# or so

(For those that are wondering, I have a rear internal rack that gets jammed/loaded up with all the light gear...and some stuff moves to the front seats when I sleep/camp for the night...)

In the middle...another 220#
95# St Bernard /Red Heeler Mix
Under the 40 seat platform (seat removed)
80# of AGM Battery + CTEK B²B+ Victron Solar
20# of tools and basic recovery gear.
5# of spare batteries & couple of flashlights

Driver seat : 230# of meat
Passenger seat : small comms bag

Towing...
Small Jeep trailer...total, incl trailer is 600-750# of camping gear, water. Tongue weight is around 90# or so.

Last edited:

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I rant the #1000 Air lift bags in my springs on my Avalanche and they were pretty awesome. I decided to go all in which added more weight, so I swapped from my stock springs to Eibach Springs for a Hummer. Coincidentally, just prior to changing to those springs, on our last trip through DV, one of my bags developed a leak. With the new springs, I did not need to replace the air bags. Moral of the story - high quality, heavier duty springs make all the difference in the world.
//
I would look at OME Cargo Springs, I also think Eibach makes a heavier spring for a lifted JK, Moog might also have something.
//
These are what I installed. My foot is a size 12.5.
View attachment 406519
//
Something else to consider - Fox 2.0 shocks stock valving are typically on the softer side for more traditional offroad performance. You may want to consider getting them revalved for the extra-weight associated with overlanding. When I did mine, they are completely custom for the extra weight and longer distances/durations: Fox 2.0 body, custom valving, 7/8" shafts, and bigger resrvoir. Something to consider.
View attachment 406521
Who did your valving? What did it cost? Thx for the detailed response.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Ha! Monroe reflex shocks. Those are great...After I pulled off a set of failed Ranchos, I slapped a set of those on for a bit. They were great for the value - better than OEM Rubicons and better than the Ranchos...By this point, I already pulled the airbags (didn't like the unload behavior...now wonder if the Rancho crap exacerbated it.)...hmmm

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Actually no, he won't need longer bags. The Air Lift 1000 bags work by exerting pressure on the inside of the coils, not on the top and bottom. By exerting pressure on the inside of the coils the bags make the springs stiffer. As long as whatever springs he's got have the same inside diameter as the factory springs, the kit I linked to will work fine.
While it is true the bags provide some load support by exerting pressure on the could, they can also slide up and down. If the bag is too short, then you actually can unintentionally create a multirate spring...and cause a bad/unexpected bounce when the bag is finally compressed : source - Airlift. Experienced the slide and bounce first hand.

Reason I know this - my original set from airlift had the wrong bags ( too short) included. I called and spoke to their PM about the issues I was having...so in short, I would need the longer bag if I opt to go that route...

It's about a guy (me) trying to figure out the deal with his soft Mopar 2.5" lift springs and softly valved Fox shocks on a Jeep JKU used for overlanding... And some helpful folks chiming in with suggestions...

And don't forget.... a troll and his +1 or +4 ranting about old houses and people dropping coin on their hobbies, a Vulva, oh and something about people forgetting how to speak. Pretty ridoclous at this point....but humorous since it has NotHInG to do with my post.

Had a similar problem with with my TJ after having an ARB tire carrier and a heavier spare tire mounted. It nailed the bumpstops every time I hit a significant dip on the road.

I initially had the heavy duty OME springs with no problem but they were on for a long time and were worn.

Thinking my springs were simply old and shot, but not entirey sure that i should just replace with just a new version of the same.

So I emailed ARB my situation and a rep then responded back after a day or two, and he provided me with three different coil spring options recommendations and their corresponding part numbers.

I couldn't be happier with the new springs and all things considered, ARB's support, and they were not that expensive at the end of the day.

You probably would be best served getting your shocks reworked as the Fox guy suggested, along with some heavier duty rear springs.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles