Backend Bottoms out easily...

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I've got the Mopar 3" lift (similar to the Teraflex 3" kit). It came with their lower priced Speed Bump setup.
Also running a Titan fuel tank, 35" spare on stock rim, along with 5 gallon water jug, and a rack that normally carries about 20lbs of fire wood.
Fully loaded for a road trip, it squats a bit more than 1" at the back to a more leveled out appearance. Unloaded it has a bit more than an inch rake.

It sounds like your rig will spend a lot more time loaded up, than unloaded. If that is the case a quality set of springs. I think OMU has 2" heavy duty lift springs that may be a good match. Might find someone running them, and see what kind of input you can glean from them.
You make a valid point on the the change of behavior for the air bags. I think it's worth the investment to valve the shocks for the springs/bags.
Hope this helps.
How do you like the Titan? As soon as I figure this out (and decide on a rear bumper/tire carrier), I will be mounting it. What carrier are you running? Hard top or soft?

sent via the cone of silence

Stryder106

Explorer
So if I read the above responses, do most think I am undersprung in the rear? The amount of sag with the weight is relatively minor. I haven't measured it yet since it didn't seem all that bad. Next trip I will try to find some scales and will weigh it.

Yes - for when you are loaded. I would look into the air lift bags that go in your coils. They worked really well for me - inflate when loaded, deflate when unloaded. Simple and effective.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Titan tank from my point of view

How do you like the Titan? As soon as I figure this out (and decide on a rear bumper/tire carrier), I will be mounting it. What carrier are you running? Hard top or soft?

This Jeep has the LoD Gen 4 rear bumper. It also has the premium soft top and the hard top. Ran the hard top for the first few months, that swapped to the Premium Soft top (which I really love) for a year and a half, and am now running the hard top as a comparison.

For my personal use the Titan is a compromise. I think everyone will have a different bias based on needs/wants.
*I like it much better than the 5 gallon Jerry can I was carrying, because it provides room for an LP tank in its place.
*I like that I can control how much extra fuel is carried, based on the trip. Anywhere from 1 gallon (to help light fires of wet wood on snow runs), to the full 13 gallons (of which about 12-1/2 gallons will come back out of the tank).
*I like that it is always there. Nothing I need to take off for fear of theft.
*I like that I can remove it pretty quickly if I want a weekend of more extreme trail challenges.
*I like how tough it's built
*I like how easy it is to fill the gas tank with it
*I really liked the sale price. :)

What I don't like:
*It moves the spare tire out about 5-1/2". So now I have to be careful about rock ledges, that I didn't have to worry so much about before.
*Its black and really sucks up the heat
*No locking fuel cap (to keep the contents safe)
*It makes the 35" spare tire look small (yes, as much as I try to fight/hide my ego, it's bigger than the state of Alaska... sigh :()
*Because of the rack, it's a bit of work to fill (fortunately that only needs to be done once per trip for my use)
*I can't push a button and have it fill the fuel tank (guess I need to take a long a hostage...er... willing co-pilot more often)
*I would have struggled if it had been full price (guess I'm a cheap ego-maniac ;))

Notice I didn't mention the lack of view out the rear window. In my case with all the rest of the crap back there, it's kind of a moot point. I removed the rear view mirror, and installed a back up camera and display in it's place.

Note: in the picture the LP tank is just sitting on the old Jerry can holder. I haven't bought/built the LP canister holder yet.
Hope this input helps. :beer:

Attachments

• Titan-Fuel-Tank-LP_Tank.jpg
    Titan-Fuel-Tank-LP_Tank.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I would look into a set of OME springs for the rear. They come in different ratings for load so make sure you speak to a knowledgeable reseller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd that...

I always see people talking about their rear springs sagging. In my opinion the ARB OME coils are the best coils for overlanding. ARB OME offers a 2.25" rear coil in stock spring rate, 330lb & 660lb constant duty weight. They ride great & hold the weight...!!!

So spend $180 on a set of quality springs with the correct spring rate for the load you are carrying.

Just my 2 cents.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
2nd that...

I always see people talking about their rear springs sagging. In my opinion the ARB OME coils are the best coils for overlanding. ARB OME offers a 2.25" rear coil in stock spring rate, 330lb & 660lb constant duty weight. They ride great & hold the weight...!!!

So spend $180 on a set of quality springs with the correct spring rate for the load you are carrying.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't have an issue with the coils sagging, it's more that the *** end takes a huge dive when I hit a bump/hump in the road. Pretty sure I am under-sprung - I'm in the fence between a multirate could (synergy, RK, etc) and a single rate like the OME.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
This Jeep has the LoD Gen 4 rear bumper. It also has the premium soft top and the hard top. Ran the hard top for the first few months, that swapped to the Premium Soft top (which I really love) for a year and a half, and am now running the hard top as a comparison.

For my personal use the Titan is a compromise. I think everyone will have a different bias based on needs/wants.
*I like it much better than the 5 gallon Jerry can I was carrying, because it provides room for an LP tank in its place.
*I like that I can control how much extra fuel is carried, based on the trip. Anywhere from 1 gallon (to help light fires of wet wood on snow runs), to the full 13 gallons (of which about 12-1/2 gallons will come back out of the tank).
*I like that it is always there. Nothing I need to take off for fear of theft.
*I like that I can remove it pretty quickly if I want a weekend of more extreme trail challenges.
*I like how tough it's built
*I like how easy it is to fill the gas tank with it
*I really liked the sale price. :)

What I don't like:
*It moves the spare tire out about 5-1/2". So now I have to be careful about rock ledges, that I didn't have to worry so much about before.
*Its black and really sucks up the heat
*No locking fuel cap (to keep the contents safe)
*It makes the 35" spare tire look small (yes, as much as I try to fight/hide my ego, it's bigger than the state of Alaska... sigh :()
*Because of the rack, it's a bit of work to fill (fortunately that only needs to be done once per trip for my use)
*I can't push a button and have it fill the fuel tank (guess I need to take a long a hostage...er... willing co-pilot more often)
*I would have struggled if it had been full price (guess I'm a cheap ego-maniac ;))

Notice I didn't mention the lack of view out the rear window. In my case with all the rest of the crap back there, it's kind of a moot point. I removed the rear view mirror, and installed a back up camera and display in it's place.

Note: in the picture the LP tank is just sitting on the old Jerry can holder. I haven't bought/built the LP canister holder yet.
Hope this input helps.
Awesomely detailed response. Thx!

Boatmonkey

Observer
I have the same problem with riding low in the rear and hitting bumpstops when going over a bump. Anyone have any opinions on the Teraflex Outback springs? I've been considering getting those for the rear since they come in a longer length than OME.

Bushmaster5K

Rear springs?

I own a 2015 Jeep JKUR, hard top, with the Mopar 2" lift kit installed. I to have a problem with squatting and bottoming out when loaded for a trip. Brad at "Trailrecon" (YouTube) just installed Rock Krowlers 2.5" expedition kit. Two videos you should watch. The install and the John bull trail in the raw (after install).

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I own a 2015 Jeep JKUR, hard top, with the Mopar 2" lift kit installed. I to have a problem with squatting and bottoming out when loaded for a trip. Brad at "Trailrecon" (YouTube) just installed Rock Krowlers 2.5" expedition kit. Two videos you should watch. The install and the John bull trail in the raw (after install).
Thx for the response...do you happen to have a link for the videos? I must be missing something?

I had 700# in the back today spread out somewhat evenly - and nothing else. Squatting didn't seem all that bad. However, I was hitting the bumpstops far more often than I recall with my stock setup. I also took my dump trailer down the dump...very heavy and the bottoming was pretty noticeable.

After this next trip, I will be looking into new springs. Let me know how you like this new setup over the Mopar kit.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ok, back on track. I never had any issues with sag...bottoming etc on my JKU. I ran it hard off road, etc. I did install airbags for towing my camper. They worked awesome. OP, does your Jeep bottom when unloaded?

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Ok, back on track. I never had any issues with sag...bottoming etc on my JKU. I ran it hard off road, etc. I did install airbags for towing my camper. They worked awesome. OP, does your Jeep bottom when unloaded?
Yes it does.

Definitely compresses more than stock...hard to say if it bottoms out anymore or less than stock. The shocks and Mopar lift kit have about 20k miles. No evidence of oil leakage. I pulled the shocks off the lower mount and while not a meaningful test, are quite hard to compress.

A conversation with Fox at the Expo, the Prod Mgr said the Mopar kit shocks were valved per Mopar spec to be quite compliant. More so than their typical Fox stock replacements - that surprised me as I didn't think they were unique to the kit. He suggested I moved towards an adj remote reservoir shock (2.0 or 2.5?)with internal "bump stop" - don't recall the term, but basically it has increased hydraulic resistance as the shock near full compression at speed.

I don't recall your suspension setup in your rig - did you pull your bags off and replace with springs?

rubicon91

Explorer
+2 & I actually meant to say "Hear Hear" but I like "Heir Heir" better.. Sounds more European
It's funny how you have no problem chiming in with your opinions on others threads but the minute anyone says anything on yours you completely go sideways. Oh wait nevermind you delete the thread(s) anyways but still funny nonetheless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rubicon91

Explorer
Actually I did read the starter thread

Sigh as your initial response was ranting about new jeeps and spending 60k on one. You did see this jeep is 10 yrs old correct and he was asking for help/advice on it. Just thought I would point that out. If you did then I am at a loss on where you were going in regards to helping the OP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles