Back to the Banks

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
jim65wagon said:
Mostly people who take off down the beach, unprepared, no straps, no shovels, no clearance, full tires.

That's me! :eek:

14143783_e48b17ba99.jpg

As an off-pavement driving enthusiast, I enjoy the challenge - the uncertainty of whether or not I'll make it through the next soft patch. Due to the high-traffic nature of the beach at the time, I was confident that the risk was nothing more than getting stuck.

Drove the stretch in 2004 with nary a problem, but in 2005 some soft spots threatened our forward progress, so I opted to turn around and head back to Corolla. Good times - would love to go back! (in the Cherokee)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
jim65wagon said:
It would stand to reason that if you're a large boat in a narrow/shallow canal and you see a smaller boat/canoe you'd throttle back a bit and not try to swamp them. There are some unreasonable people in the world, though.

I can definitely relate (sigh...)

I really enjoyed reading your report. Congrats on a fun trip!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I grew up in NC and spent every summer and many holidays on the OBX. I still have a Avon Mini-Mart magnet on my fridge. My family sold their place years ago but my sister and her husband have a place on Emerald Isle.

I'm always tempted to drive back for a beach & seafood fix....:chowtime:

Sounds like you had a good trip with a little adreniline rush on the water and helping out some oblivious folks. I hope you'll post up some of your wild horse pics- :lurk:

jim65wagon

ok ok requests for pics will have to be patient as King George is still very much on dialup. Which really hurt going from DSL. These are in no particular order, I just selected a few that I thought were nice. The photo of the beach on 4/15 is pretty much the way the beach looked the whole time. There were people but you'd have to look pretty far to see them. Nice!

Attachments

• obx.jpg
    obx.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 36
  • obx4.jpg
    obx4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 33
  • obx 2.jpg
    obx 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 49
  • obx 3.jpg
    obx 3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 27
  • obx 6.jpg
    obx 6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 24

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Hell Yeah!! :jump:

Wow, I'm super homesick now........

Great pics, I love the Tundra in the sand. Awesome horses too! I'll patiently wait if you have others....

Thanks for sharing those, it really made my day. :beer::beer::beer:

Grouseman

Adventurer
Camping

DesertGirl,

Which Island did you camp on? Were still trying to figure out which Islands you can primitive camp on. Any helps guys? I am going to make some calls today. We leave this Sat. morning.

Gman

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Steve

Have a nice trip. Take some fishing gear, and post pictures when you get back.

M

Grouseman

Adventurer
Mike S said:
Steve

Have a nice trip. Take some fishing gear, and post pictures when you get back.

M

Mike,

I plan on taking a little fishing gear. Would love to catch some crabs on a fishing pole. A buddy of mine in Florida taught me how to do it. Guys any chance of catching some Crabs in the big water?

Gman

HongerVenture

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Hell Yeah!! :jump:

Wow, I'm super homesick now........

Then make a trip out there! You have the camper now... not to mention you have a stopover point in Indy. :wavey:

My wife and I visited the Outer Banks with her family before we were married... what a great time! Her family has been taking trips there for years. I can't wait to go back. Spending time on the beach with my truck was definitely a highlight.

jim65,
Just curious, did you splash around in the surf at all? I know its saltwater and all, but in my case the road-salt they put down here in the winter has far greater salt content than ocean water... I splashed around a bit and then rinsed it off with freshwater afterward. Great times!

Joel

jim65wagon

Honger: maybe just a little, but since the oceans seems to be a little deeper than I like to drive it's just a touch and splash. I always hose the entire truck off when we get back, clean th 5lbs of sand out of the cab, and grease everything that's greaseable.
Again pics are in no particular order.

Attachments

• the Dune Dragon.jpg
    the Dune Dragon.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 39
  • obx horses 5.jpg
    obx horses 5.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 38
  • obx horses 3.jpg
    obx horses 3.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 24
  • beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 34
  • canoe trip.jpg
    canoe trip.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 28
  • loaded need canoe and pfd's and we're off.jpg
    loaded need canoe and pfd's and we're off.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
Banks

Dudes,

If your even remotely close to the Banks GO. The beaches are clean, beautiful, and uncrowded. Of course we went before Season. Orkracoke Island is pretty remote with only 800 +/- residents that live there year round. Great little Island. Of course most of the beaches you could drive on with 4x4 and it was a really nice adventure for the wife and I. On our way back we camped at a NC State campground and nobody was there. The whole trip was wonderful. The wife and I hadn't camped in 20 + years, and now we are hooked again. Mods to come soon for our M101 trailer.
Our 101 will become our pop-up camper.....

Gman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online