Back to a Big Truck

Tex68w

Beach Bum
[QUOTE="
If you can find a hydraulic pass through winch off of a FMTV .

Yes, I know where there is an FMTV with the mid mount hydraulic winch: can winch out either end. But I'm thinking "Modern tools for modern times" and go with the Warn electric, 24 volt option, 18K or so. Probably will put it on the back just because, on the trail, I know where I came from was good :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I am thinking one on the front and one on the rear would be most ideal.

Coachgeo

Explorer
? said:
Yes, I know where there is an FMTV with the mid mount hydraulic winch: can winch out either end. But I'm thinking "Modern tools for modern times" and go with the Warn electric, 24 volt option, 18K or so. Probably will put it on the back just because, on the trail, I know where I came from was good :)

Agreed, I am thinking one on the front and one on the rear would be most ideal.
IMHO go with a Sherpa 24k winch or two 12k alongside to each other. 18k is not enough tug IMHO for these trucks. Sherpa has good sound reputation in OZ and now that they are reaching out worldwide; their price is presently real good.

olly hondro

mad scientist
railX_2_small.jpgrailX_1_small.jpg
Can't be workin' on it all the time, gotta get out and enjoy the truck. The CTIS is not performing optimally: I could not get the tires to air down to XC mode so let the pressure down to 40 psi manually. When I got back home the tires were all at 55 psi again. So its not broken, just needs connections cleaned I reckon.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting those pics Olly. Sure a way cool rig you have there. Can I ask how much a truck like that costs? Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A nice one, professionally reman'd, cleaned and painted, is $50 000. The Acela's in literally like new condition are $100 000. Aren't these things $300 000 new???

The surplus units are very cheap. You can buy someone else's project for $20 000 easy, all the time. I think I'd rather buy a titled one than a surplus unit.

View attachment 488988View attachment 488989
Can't be workin' on it all the time, gotta get out and enjoy the truck. The CTIS is not performing optimally: I could not get the tires to air down to XC mode so let the pressure down to 40 psi manually. When I got back home the tires were all at 55 psi again. So its not broken, just needs connections cleaned I reckon.

I'd be fine with that little foible. As long as it can air back up.

Last edited:

olly hondro

mad scientist
A nice one, professionally reman'd, cleaned and painted, is $50 000. The Acela's in literally like new condition are $100 000. Aren't these things $300 000 new???

The surplus units are very cheap. You can buy someone else's project for $20 000 easy, all the time. I think I'd rather buy a titled one than a surplus unit.

I'd be fine with that little foible. As long as it can air back up.

Yes, I can unplug the connector to the brainbox, then air down. It will stay that way until I reconnect the brainbox then will inflate all the tires back to 55 psi. I will get it figured out so it works as intended, but at least I have a workaround for the moment.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Very cool! I love how these trucks look done well.

A lot of folks will throw a camper on the back and while I know your plans are far more than that it does seem like it's a way that you can get out and use them with the body as is - not sure your overall timeline but it seems like that would give you the opportunity to get out enjoying it while you build a new "home box" for the rear.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing this come together.

olly hondro

mad scientist
Very cool! I love how these trucks look done well.

A lot of folks will throw a camper on the back and while I know your plans are far more than that it does seem like it's a way that you can get out and use them with the body as is - not sure your overall timeline but it seems like that would give you the opportunity to get out enjoying it while you build a new "home box" for the rear.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing this come together.

Yes, I've seen very elaborate builds and simple (but effective) HiLo travel trailer bolted to the back. Something for every one.

Along the lines of enjoying the truck during build (I like the way you think), I attached a pic of the truck + plus the spare cab that I acquired to use as a template for the cage build. You were wondering how I did that :)
cabz.jpg

Last edited:

olly hondro

mad scientist
That was a pretty cool video you posted of the 6x6 Steyr. Really awesome Olly!:cool:

Got some good ideas from that video about construction of a external safety cage that can "disconnect" so the cab can tilt for maintenance. Today, Robert the Fabricator was measuring to calculate the 'timing' he calls it. I'll try to explain best I can without pictures. The cab tilts through arc that is different than an arc described by the forward cage mounting at the tow shackles. He says we have to account for that difference so nothing binds or interferes as the cab + cage tilt as a unit. Clear as mud? Also have to allow sufficient space between front cage elements and the windshield, taking its curvature into account for if/when it becomes necessary to change it. Will become more apparent as we start cutting metal. We'll start in earnest after the holiday.

It is interesting to note how the drive axles are interacting: there are instances when the Steyr truck looks like its stuck, not all the wheels are turning. Then you hear a loud puff of air, the wheels turn, then its not stuck anymore.

Last edited:

olly hondro

mad scientist
Ran it across the scales today:

scale_12_2018.jpg

This is with the airlift extensions removed (-300 lbs) and a second spare/wheel in the bed over the rear axle (+300 lbs). And me, after lunch ;)

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer

I sold one 2 months ago with new tires, 2 new spares, a new cargo cover and air conditioning for $16k. I had it posted here for months with no interest.

olly hondro

mad scientist
I sold one 2 months ago with new tires, 2 new spares, a new cargo cover and air conditioning for $16k. I had it posted here for months with no interest.

A dollar per pound is pretty good deal :) Its all about timing I suppose. I am in the same situation with the Blazer. A diesel Blazer on detroit locked tons with 6 pt roll cage and double bead locks is worth $10K easy, but there is no interest after several months. The right buyer will come along, someday.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles