Back to a Big Truck

olly hondro

mad scientist
Previous owner acquired thru GovPlanet and flipped it to me. To me its worth the premium to have the clean AZ title and all systems road ready.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I had one, I sold it. The build was going to be way over budget and require more in the long run than what I was willing to give it.

FYI, the Hi-Speed Gears were worth their weight in gold. That is a must do upgrade and I think I saw a set pop up on SteelSoldiers just a few days ago.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex, do you have a build thread of yours? What you got done on it?

I do not, it was a 2003 year model. I added high-speed gears and A/C. I was going to strip the troop carrier and build out an enclosure with a pass through to the cab. I love them, they are simple, easy to get parts for and with the higher gears you can touch 70-75mph when you need it. 60mph was a nice sweet spot for it though. I did some sound dampening in the cab to cut down on the engine noise, definitely cuts down on the stress from in cab feedback over long hours on the road. I had planned to do an electric commercial grade 18K winch front and rear and BD lights all over with a rack on the roof of the cab.
If you can find a hydraulic pass through winch off of a FMTV wrecker that would be a nice addition. I really like what the guys at Mule Expedition Outfitters have done with their M1078 and I'd look to their build for a little inspiration. There are a few well documented builds out there if you do a search and Unimog's, MAN's and Fuso's are good to look to for build ideas as well. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
If you can swing it, snag those High-speed gears for yours now, they are hard to come by and are highly sought after. I know of one guy who has the ability to have sets made in the future but getting him to do anything takes an act of congress. He's a great asset for parts though. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or comments as I don't want to clog up your build thread here.

olly hondro

mad scientist
[QUOTE="
If you can find a hydraulic pass through winch off of a FMTV .[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know where there is an FMTV with the mid mount hydraulic winch: can winch out either end. But I'm thinking "Modern tools for modern times" and go with the Warn electric, 24 volt option, 18K or so. Probably will put it on the back just because, on the trail, I know where I came from was good :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles