Back into a WJ

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looking good! :beer:
This is an amazingly capable platform. Was just wheeling with my neighbor this weekend. He has an '04 Laredo with Select-Trac, and it did amazingly well on some pretty serious trails.

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Thanks. Yea, they are a great platform. I used to take my 04 WJ some pretty surprising places. This one has mainly seen back roads and trips to the mountains so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Picked up and painted an 04 grill. Just need to find time to install it. Also going to get the front bumper powder coated in a textured silver.

15bad489056a6e2ffa36b87cc9212d8f.jpg

bb1175ca32ac22abe89d9a7628b1588d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Since this last WJ I had a Liberty KJ with a 2.5" lift and the same tires, which was unfortunately written off

KJ2.jpg

Now I'm back into a WJ, got a great deal on a BB but on the hunt for some 3-4" coils. Swapped over the 245/75/16 Duratracs onto JK steelies. Fabbed up a low profile roof rack and wind fairing. Also planning to add some LED lighting, but undecided on the shape/size/location.

WJ4.jpg
WJ5.jpg

I've since added factory front tow hooks, a d-ring mount for the hitch and a cargo net and storage box in the rear.

Last edited:

Grassland

Since this last WJ I had a Liberty KJ with a 2.5" lift and the same tires, which was unfortunately written off

View attachment 564082

Now I'm back into a WJ, got a great deal on a BB but on the hunt for some 3-4" coils. Swapped over the 245/75/16 Duratracs onto JK steelies. Fabbed up a low profile roof rack and wind fairing. Also planning to add some LED lighting, but undecided on the shape/size/location.

View attachment 564083
View attachment 564084

I've since added factory front tow hooks, a d-ring mount for the hitch and a cargo net and storage box in the rear.
Where are you finding these old WJ
that aren't rusted out?

How many km on this one?

If you are doing 4" coils are you going mid arms, or long?

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Where are you finding these old WJ
that aren't rusted out?

How many km on this one?

If you are doing 4" coils are you going mid arms, or long?

Calgary Alberta Canada. Seem to be plenty of solid WJ’s still available. No salt used on the roads so there is very little rust even on older vehicles.

This one had 204k on the odometer when I picked it up. Had the exact package I was looking for. Laredo with a cloth interior, so no worries about the blend door and seat heater issues. 242 t-case, and it was very well maintained.

As for the suspension, I think I’m settled on IRO 3” with short arms. I don’t see a need to go higher as I can fit 245/75/16’s perfectly and can fit the full size matching spare in the spare well.

Grassland

Calgary Alberta Canada. Seem to be plenty of solid WJ’s still available. No salt used on the roads so there is very little rust even on older vehicles.

This one had 204k on the odometer when I picked it up. Had the exact package I was looking for. Laredo with a cloth interior, so no worries about the blend door and seat heater issues. 242 t-case, and it was very well maintained.

As for the suspension, I think I’m settled on IRO 3” with short arms. I don’t see a need to go higher as I can fit 245/75/16’s perfectly and can fit the full size matching spare in the spare well.

I wish I looked further west when I bought my last WJ.

245/75/16 is a tight fit in the spare well, at least with duratracs.

It will look good with that set up.

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Came across this pic of my old 04 WJ and trailer. Brings back memories.

I'm currently in the US riding out this pandemic, can't wait to get back home to my WJ. Have a bunch parts waiting to install. New shocks, t-case skid, trim packers for the rear, fuel filter and a highlift mount!
WJ6.jpg

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Its new been 9 months since I have seen my WJ!

I went to Argentina for three months for work, and when Covid hit, fast tracked our planned move from Alberta to New York and flew directly to NY. The WJ has been sitting in my garage in Alberta since January 3. I've got a pile of parts waiting for it here, but I likely won't see it until December. I have new Skyjacker shocks, Upcountry coils, t-case skid, fuel filter and a TJ fuel bezel to install. I also had a buddy go check for me and the WJ has a double cardan front drive shaft, so bonus there!

In the meantime we picked up a 2020 Jeep Compass Trailhawk. Whipped up a bike rack from a craigslist hitch rack and made a roofrack for the Compass. Its a fun little SUV, but man am I looking forward to getting the WJ back!

Compass1.jpg
Compass2.jpg

MagnutsWJ

Observer
4771DE5E-3BBB-45F7-9F9E-0E9BB1DF3B4D.jpeg
6039801A-746C-4884-B737-2BA580A524A8.jpeg
Made it back to Canada and to my WJ. Installed new shocks and an Addco rear sway bar. This WJ had some tranny issues when I parked it and they showed up again. Ended up getting a crazy deal on a used transmission with only 12k kms on it. Dealer installed last week.

About to start a trailer build to move a bunch of our stuff from Alberta to NY, then taking the long drive mid January!

MagnutsWJ

Observer
WJ7.jpg
WJ9.jpg
WJ8.jpg
WJ11.jpg

The WJ has officially been imported into the US.

I added an LED light bar on the bumper, a TJ fuel neck bezel and new Thule load bars. Up next is my t-case skid plate, mounting the high-lift on the roof, along with an awning and possibly a set of traction boards. Need to be ready for beach wheeling this summer!

Stopped by an Overland and Coffee event at Xtreme 4WD on Long Island. Plenty of beautiful rigs showed up!

MagnutsWJ

Observer
A0AFCE45-58AE-4014-915F-954F14118C9F.jpeg
whipped up a “tire table” for use under the awning. It’s since been sanded, stained and clear coated. Also ordered a new a-arm as I’ve got a clunk in the rear and the bushings and ball joint seem pretty warm out. Hopefully that takes care of the noise

MagnutsWJ

Observer
Finished up a bit of rear suspension work. Installed a new rear upper control arm, ball joint, DIY 1” a-arm spacer and Energy Suspension replacement bushing on the Addco rear seay bar. The rear end feels much better and is now quiet over bumps. Changed out the fuel filter while I was under there as well.

I have a set of upcountry coils that will gain me about an inch of suspension height, but I’m hesitant to install them. Everything is dialed in nicely now and I don’t plan on going any larger on tire size, mainly because of the full size spare storage. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it I guess, but we’ll see...
BA08E92E-E46A-4468-B0EA-D1E661B20E9F.jpeg
0EBACD2B-A53B-4D8E-8630-7339D8E7A632.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94