Back in time, when overland was called adventure.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very cool and neat that they brought this story forward in time for us to enjoy now.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Pretty good adventure. Though I think a bit foolhardy to set off across Africa solo in a $160 truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foy

Explorer
Nothing less than amazing to me. The truck looks like an early 1940s Bedford, maybe a Bedford QL. It was a 3-ton 4 X 4 with a 215 cubic inch straight 6 cylinder producing a whopping 72 (Seventy two) horsepower. Looks like they made the entire trip with a bald left front tire. And they pulled the head and ground the exhaust valves five times?

There's a good look at a US military Jeep in the Atlas Mountains, and a WWII era Dodge WC (weapons carrier) in the French colonial city in more central sub-Saharan Africa. The front end on the ground beside the burned out chassis looks like a Dodge WC, too.

The credits at the end answered a question I developed during the early part of the video: How on earth did they cross so many borders without substantial problems? Credits say much of Africa descended into political chaos within the year following their trip.

I wonder what else there is in terms of video or written content regarding this event?

Foy

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Pretty good adventure. Though I think a bit foolhardy to set off across Africa solo in a $160 truck.

1959 prices tho....in today‘s dollars it’d be worth, oh, ? mebbe $4-5,000?

billiebob

Hi everyone, I just finish listening to that documentary and it’s amazing. In 1959 a group of friends that decide to buy an ex military truck to travel to Africa and the Sahara desert.

Enjoy!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
This was such an important flashback. Unfortunately since WWII we westerners have destroyed our welcome in countries around the world. The 1950s were the end of an era. A favourite exotic destination for Americans in the 1950s was Iran. 60 years ago we could travel anywhere with relative security and comfort. Often welcome as visitors.

An amazing adventure. I often think I was born 50 years too late.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks for posting. I will watch it with my wife.

In 60 years people will watch the XOverland series and think - "wow the world was a very different place back then"...

:)

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The original overland by car in the USA.

In the spring of 1903, on a whim and a fifty-dollar bet, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson set off from San Francisco in a 20-horsepower Winton touring car hoping to become the first person to cross the United States in the new- fangled "horseless carriage." Most people doubted that the automobile had much of a future.

Traveling with his co-driver Sewall K. Crocker and a bulldog named Bud, Jackson's trip would prove them wrong. Using a treasure trove of photographs, and relying on previously unpublished letters, Ken Burns and Florentine Films put viewers in the front seat of this historic — and hilarious — journey.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Neat story. I’d like to read all of it. But did I hear the narrative right, 6600 miles? They must have done a lot of meandering around but maybe they had to to connect existing roads.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
1959 prices tho....in today‘s dollars it’d be worth, oh, ? mebbe $4-5,000?
Just started watching it and that jumped to mind. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI inflation calculator says $160 becomes $1,417 and the $400 they had becomes $3,544. So their whole trip budget was $4,961 in December 2019 money. It sounds like Mobil covered quite a bit of their fuel expenses.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online