Back in a Rover again, mild LR3 build

Ray_G

Explorer
Just like Jkatka-unbolt seat, remove. Use seat bolts to put in bolt plates, use ARB kit to strap it down.

It's all in the build thread, with pics.

gatorgrizz27

Got the ARB compressor mounted, as I said I don’t plan to run a dual battery system at this point, but wanted to keep the option open for the future. I mounted it in the driver’s side plastic box by replacing the two center nuts with coupling nuts. The only holes I drilled were in the front side of the box to mount the switch bracket, it can be flipped to the outside if I choose to in the future, or run to the cab if I add air lockers down the road. I still need to wire it, but that will take a little bit as I’m super anal about wiring stuff cleanly and protecting it.

83A2C34A-913B-4082-8C72-60666F2AF9F1.jpegF664F164-F4EB-4FC6-B80F-E730597F1152.jpegD2D2AF3A-3FFF-4361-B4B0-24DC76ABC521.jpeg

I also ordered tires last night, going with 265/65r18 BFG KO2’s after enough debating to give myself an ulcer. I found a matching spare wheel on eBay as well, so I’ll have a full set of 5. Can’t wait to get them installed.

Blaise

Really can't go wrong with the Duratracs or KO2s. The duratracs were on sale so that was the only reason I got them. Great choice!

gatorgrizz27

Really can't go wrong with the Duratracs or KO2s. The duratracs were on sale so that was the only reason I got them. Great choice!

I strongly considered the Duratracs. The only negative thing I found with them was several people stating they got significantly louder as they wore.

The KO2’s showed up this morning so I had them mounted. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

gatorgrizz27

Pics of the tires, no rubbing anywhere even in access height. I didn’t trim anything, I just moved the driver’s side front wheel well wire. Need to lower it to the bumpstops with the IID tool and make sure it’s still driveable. ARB compressor is almost done, I just need to figure out the switch wiring without running the air locker harness. Hopefully I’ll have a bit of time to play in the national forest tomorrow afternoon.

BD40CB00-9BDB-43E2-A6F0-1849683578D3.jpeg6C06FE12-587F-4791-AEAC-D89B49E587A9.jpeg

gatorgrizz27

Time for a small update, I went out to the national forest last Friday and played with the vehicle a bit. Sand mode works really well, as do the tires. This thing rides like a dream, and I’m happy with how it climbed the smaller obstacles I tried.

I used the GAP tool to lower it onto the bumpstops and the tires clear with zero rubbing, even turning the wheels completely, but clearance is tight. I also used it to create a slightly taller off-road setting to overcome the 30 mph lowering, it’s not as tall as the factory off-road height. Also reset the tire size to correct the speedometer.

CDE024CD-C9C4-4C13-AAE7-C0D88DD94642.jpeg

The ARB compressor is installed and working, I wasn’t a fan of the wire run from the battery to the in-line fuse being unprotected, so I picked up a Blue Sea terminal mount and 80A fuse. This will allow me to connect power for driving lights to it as well, but blow if the wire shorts. I’m also putting a 4-circuit fuse block under the dash to power the switches from so I don’t have to hack into the factory wiring.

6602BD36-EF16-4D38-A2C9-A5BF40595C56.jpeg

Final thing was wrapping the rear heater lines with some fiberglass header wrap so I can put the ARB air hose back there without worrying about it getting hot or melting. Simple to do if you’re wanting to use it as a storage cubby.

6C48D4D1-8039-4EC8-8414-D520220B045D.jpeg

I started getting a transmission fault code yesterday, along with the brake, dsc, and air suspension warning lights on the dash which came back a second time. It was throwing a code for the brake switch so I put one on it. Thankfully I had already bought one from reading on here about common problems, the taillight bulbs are all working properly.

Hoping that takes care of it as the first real off road trip is happening tomorrow. Four of us are heading out in my LR3 and my buddy’s Land Cruiser to attempt driving from Tallahassee to East Point through the national forest. Should be about 100 miles of dirt, really looking forward to it.

gatorgrizz27

Had a fantastic trip today. Weather was perfect and neither vehicle had any problems or got stuck. Unfortunately we were unable to make our destination goal, we ran into a water crossing that was mid thigh deep at the point where the green line turns to red on the map and decided not to risk it. The guy in the other vehicle didn’t want to try an alternate route, as we were likely to keep running into deeper water. Still a blast and can’t wait to get out again, it ended up being right about 100 miles of dirt by the time we were done. The ride back on the highway at 70 mph was a reminder of why these trucks are so great.

D6E0650C-372E-4E52-974E-4CBBF638A959.jpeg00B57023-779E-428E-A938-45FA981E4258.jpeg9EB10340-5120-4177-9F08-E04D38B256F4.jpegC990F4F1-9E28-4B61-A059-B435F9F12F63.jpegAE20FBA6-E08E-4414-9A10-57DF0B311C4C.jpeg

LKLK

Glad to hear all is well and the trip went without a hitch. Also good catch on the brake switch. I remember my first experience, talk about heralding!

gatorgrizz27

Is anyone aware if there was a factory transmission skid plate/guard, even as an option? There are very clearly tabs behind the engine guard and on the crossmember which would allow it to be mounted, but there are no signs of one being there. I haven’t been able to find much online either besides the $455 Terrafirma one which seems to be designed as part of a package with their other guards.

I know the OEM stuff isn’t great for rocks, but my uses are more for protection when driving over downed limbs, stuff being kicked up, etc.

I might just make one if there’s nothing decent available.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
Is anyone aware if there was a factory transmission skid plate/guard, even as an option? There are very clearly tabs behind the engine guard and on the crossmember which would allow it to be mounted, but there are no signs of one being there. I haven’t been able to find much online either besides the $455 Terrafirma one which seems to be designed as part of a package with their other guards.

I know the OEM stuff isn’t great for rocks, but my uses are more for protection when driving over downed limbs, stuff being kicked up, etc.

I might just make one if there’s nothing decent available.

Tactical 4x4 makes a transfer case skid plate for $575 (powdercoated). I've got one sitting in my place never-used in the box I'd like to get rid of some day as I decided I don't need it for my build. I'm located in Minneapolis, MN.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles