Baby Glock

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Just needed someplace to "brag" about buying my first gun in over 20 years, that's all, nothing more. :wings: On the advice of my LEO friends about which gun to buy for CCW purposes, the Glock 26 was recommended to me. After much searching - and finding it a pretty difficult gun to source at a good price - I pulled the trigger (pun intended) yesterday and bought one. Now I just have to wait the mandatory 10 days before I can actually possess it, thanks to California law.

rnArmy

Adventurer
And you know that's BS - it doesn't take 10 days. I just bought a new S&W SD9VE (9mm) 16 round double-stack yesterday at Cabela's, and the background check took maybe an hour (they were busy; otherwise might have been shorter).

I am so glad I don't live in California.

brentbba

Explorer
And you know that's BS - it doesn't take 10 days. I just bought a new S&W SD9VE (9mm) 16 round double-stack yesterday at Cabela's, and the background check took maybe an hour (they were busy; otherwise might have been shorter).

I am so glad I don't live in California.

California has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation and getting worse every day. Late night last day of the current session and they passed three more draconian laws strictly aimed at law abiding citizens. Most of these last three will make it more costly for retailers. The 10 day waiting period is mandatory on all handguns and the legislature has been trying to get laws passed making it mandatory for all purchases (handguns and rifles). We're going to have to register to purchase ammunition next year. Hearing $50 initial registration fee and $10 annually thereafter. We won't be able to purchase ammunition via the internet without having it shipped to a retailer here in CA and the fee they'll then charge will 'probably' negate any internet savings.

Stay in Washington rnArmy!

PO - congrats on the Glock!

Ray_G

Explorer
Depending on the size of your hands you may want to get yourself some grip extensions (Pearce or some other alternative, all keeping in mind CA capacity laws).
You may find the 26 works well for conceal...but is not all that pleasant to shoot in comparison to a G19.

That is my experience from doing courses with them. Still a great gun, but a lot of time on the range working on basic skills may be more pleasant with improved ergonomics.
r-
Ray

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Depending on the size of your hands you may want to get yourself some grip extensions (Pearce or some other alternative, all keeping in mind CA capacity laws).
You may find the 26 works well for conceal...but is not all that pleasant to shoot in comparison to a G19.

That is my experience from doing courses with them. Still a great gun, but a lot of time on the range working on basic skills may be more pleasant with improved ergonomics.
r-
Ray

Yes, the 26 is strictly for CCW. I'm looking at another model for basic range shooting.

SigSense

Adventurer
I'd go with the 19 for commonality of ammo and mags as you go from 19->26.

G19 is my go to.

G19 mags can be used in a G26, and the exact same ammo used in both. Yes, the G26 is smaller than the G19 -- for a reason. If you want to maintain a small "presence" while carrying concealed, I recommend getting the new Magpul G26 mags. You can have 13 rounds total (one in the chamber and 12 in the mag). Here they are: https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
G19 mags can be used in a G26, and the exact same ammo used in both. Yes, the G26 is smaller than the G19 -- for a reason. If you want to maintain a small "presence" while carrying concealed, I recommend getting the new Magpul G26 mags. You can have 13 rounds total (one in the chamber and 12 in the mag). Here they are: https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9

That particular mag is restricted in California. Ugh.

Ray_G

Explorer

Indeed.
I won't quibble that the G26 is more concealable than the G19; nor my contention that the G19 is inherently more accurate in application (and far easier to train with). Since the OP has a G26, that's moot.

My comment was more directed toward the OP picking up another pistol that is easier to train with, i.e. something like a G19 in order to have the same ergonomics while also having the benefit of being able to use the G19 mags in the G26 when shooting that on the range.

Another solution, if just sticking to a G26, would be to get G19 mags for the range and putting these on them: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ock-19-23-magazine-to-fit-26-27-polymer-black
That helps with the grip issue inherent with the concealability maximized size of the G26 during training.

During carry that's less of a concern.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Have a G26 as my CCW as well for lighter clothing, carry my G19 in more jeans and hoodie weather. Love both guns. The G26 does tend to climb out of my hand a bit as I go through a mag. If yours is a Gen4 it should have come with different backstraps that can help with that. I also got a piece off Amazon that doesn't increase the mag capacity, but does give me a place to put my pinky. Much easier to shoot with that on, but still not quite as easy as the G19. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXZEZDY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have that on 2 of my mags, and then have a 3rd without it for better concealment if needed.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Grrrr.... effing DOJ is having issues. They didn't "clear" me until 6 hours after my 10-day waiting period was up. There was a glitch on their end and it took the their techs a long time to get it to show on the computer. Our government at it's finest... By that time I had to leave to go to an appointment. Getting my G26 is going to have to wait one more day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles