b16gsr build thread 2000 XJ 4 door SE expedition rig

b16gsr

I am a long, long time lurker and finally getting around to joining and posting my own thread. About 6 month ago I bought the most insane 2001 2 door XJ that I was not sure what to do with. It was a one owner with 44k miles and it was perfect minus the passenger side flare and side marker, and a dent on the drivers door. After sitting on it, I decided it was too nice to mess up lifting and modifying, so I sold it on Bring a Trailer. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-jeep-cherokee-13/. This gave me a wild hair to add another 4 door XJ and keep my 2 door as well.

The body shop just got my 2 door all fixed up after being backed into at work, and I couldn't be happier to have it back. It looks really great for having almost 200k miles. It had been 3 full weeks since I dropped it off and I really missed driving it, amd I was daily driving my E63.

The gal and I are going to be doing a bunch more camping and kayaking this year and I wanted a 4 door XJ for the additional doors, and the 2 door is a little taller than desired for this. I already have a Jeep Cherokee specific tent that slips over the hatch, and another 3 man Jeep tent to camp from. So this started the hunt for a 4 door and after several long weeks of searching for the right one, I found it.

I had specific requirements that I was after:
  • Decent miles (130k-160K)
  • Government/Police/Fleet ownership history with records
  • NO RUST, none not even a trace, no accidents
  • Southeast or west/southwest previous residence
  • Priced within my budget
  • SE model, no options, clear glass, no power windows, locks etc
  • Blue, Green or White exterior
  • Non smoker
I found a really nice white Sport on eBay, which was not what I wanted, in Arizona and chatted with the guy about it. He told me he would pull it from eBay for a set dollar which was out of my budget, so I let the auction ride and ended up letting it go because it was way out of my budget at the end. Then I had an agreement with a dealer on a 2000 with 71k miles in the northeast, which was a gamble for me due to the weather up there. I was waiting for him to email specific pics, they didn't come and he sent me a text say he sold it. Needless to say I was pissed. So the furious hunt continued.

And then there was one.
  • 2000 Cherokee SE 4 door
  • 159k miles
  • one government ordered and owned from new in Chattanooga, TN, no accidents
  • Priced below my budget, and shipped was half at what I was looking at from a west coast rig
  • Patriot Blue exterior/Agate interior
  • Non smoker
I found it on a terrible Craiglist ad with these pictures:

So I called the dealer and asked him to shoot some better pics, to get me the VIN and got to chat with him about it. He had been driving it for a little bit and said it was out of his normal purchase but was so nice he bought it. He sent me these pics and this helped solidify my purchase. The build sheet list from Jeep showed me a few bonus items. Skid plate group, trac-loc and heavy duty suspension, ala UpCountry package. I was stoked.

My entire inspiration for this build came from a Jeep that was sold on eBay a couple years ago that I saved some pictures of.

So with the Jeep being found, I compiled a list of parts to build from and have started ordering bits and pieces.
  • 3" Zone on the way
  • TJ Rubicon MOAB 15" Reps delivered
  • 31x10.50R15 BF Goodrich MT KM3 delivered
  • WeatherTech floor and cargo liners delivered
  • WeatherTech dark window visors delivered
  • JCR offroad DIY winch bumper delivered
  • JCR base roof basket and cubby mate
  • Smittybilt 9000lb winch delivered
  • OEM Trail rated badges of JL Wrangler delivered
  • Truck Lite LED head lights
  • Oneway LED interior light kit delivered
  • LED bulbs for all exterior lighting delivered
  • Python remote start alarm delivered
  • Full outfit inside for camping, fridge, air mattress,
  • Trailer hitch
  • Basic stereo upgrade to allow iPhone compatibility
This should be fun build and serve its purpose well. Thanks for following along.

b16gsr

A couple of the parts started trickling in over the past week.

One of my favorite pieces for the build which is completely applicable to this XJ is these decals made by jessenator.

These arrived yesterday and I cannot wait to get them mounted up. Still waiting on the Jeep to be picked up though and its killing me.

b16gsr

A few more parts arrived today, the pile keeps on growing.

I did a ton of research on winches and the Smittybilt seems like the best value for the money.

b16gsr

Well I still do not have the Jeep, but i do have the title. The shipper is throwing all the excuses in the world on why it has not picked up, needless to say it is frustrating. Anyhow my fab guy has done some awesome work and got the bumper all ready for powdercoat. He is going to look at building me a roof rack next.

Early stages.

All finished and ready for coating.

b16gsr

She has arrived. I am pleased, the interior is mint, when I say mint almost perfect. That was my main concern. The paint is all original and is a little rougher than I had hoped, but it sat outside all the time so I suspected. I am going to wet sand and polish it back to life, but I will leave the patina and have another trick up my sleeve for it. I am so excited to get started. The rest of the parts should be here the middle of next week. It is going to need a rear main seal, which I suspected but otherwise is super solid and runs great.

All the skid plates are intact, as well as the rubber diaper under the front of the motor(I have only owned 2 that did) and it has trac-loc. Super stoked about this all.

First thing to do was wash the road salt off.

Engine bay is super clean.

The interior is the key. The driver seat is barely cracked and the carpet is still really clean.

The hatch is so clean and not beat up.

No rust on the underside minus some random surface rust.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Jeep still has 19 lower seat cushions available in that color. They come complete with foam and cover. I just installed one in my 2000 xj. Driver side only

TylerA23

Very nice, and very clean.
I recently got a '98 w/ 112k miles. Before doing any major upgrades I'm going through and refreshing different parts, and changing out all the fluids for my peace of mind. She'll be a slow build, but they're already capable out of the box for my intended use.

Looking forward to seeing yours progress, and what else you do.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Have a part number? Thats interesting.

The dealer group I work for owns 6 Chrysler stores. One of our parts guys looked it up for me, it showed 19 in wharehouse, put order in, it came back dicontiuned, he sent a request to the part depot and they shipped it.

b16gsr

Nice find. That undercarriage is amazingly clean.

This is exactly what I was after, no rot or rust. Clean.

Very nice, and very clean.
I recently got a '98 w/ 112k miles. Before doing any major upgrades I'm going through and refreshing different parts, and changing out all the fluids for my peace of mind. She'll be a slow build, but they're already capable out of the box for my intended use.

Looking forward to seeing yours progress, and what else you do.

Thats awesome. They are awesome vehicles. I will be going through mine as well when I do the tear down. All the fluids plus the pan gasket and main seals.

The dealer group I work for owns 6 Chrysler stores. One of our parts guys looked it up for me, it showed 19 in wharehouse, put order in, it came back dicontiuned, he sent a request to the part depot and they shipped it.

Nice. Was it expensive?

great condition, they never look so good in the northeast

I hunt all over the south and west to east to find ones like this. I learned my lesson on others.

Yesterdays discovery was a cool one. Hey what do these switches do???

86scotty

Cynic
Man, hope your leaving those guv'ment disco lights there! That could be fun and cool.....at some point......for some reason. Maybe just to quickly get through a construction zone. :D

BTW, I live just north of Chattanooga and a good friend is hunting for one of these in the ATL area. We were apparently sleeping when you found this.

b16gsr

Man, hope your leaving those guv'ment disco lights there! That could be fun and cool.....at some point......for some reason. Maybe just to quickly get through a construction zone. :D

BTW, I live just north of Chattanooga and a good friend is hunting for one of these in the ATL area. We were apparently sleeping when you found this.

They are staying for sure. I have no reason to take them off and could help when I need it at some point. Haha.

Yea I was hunting hard when I found it. The guy just got another one 99 Sport 175k miles and its silly clean, but its black, $4700 is what he wants.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/chattanooga-2000-jeep-cherokee/6792273591.html

Heavyopp

Observer
When I saw it was a 2000 I was thinking you should have waited for a 99 -- to stay away from those stupid pre-cats and 4 O2 sensors

But I see in one of the pictures underneath -- An O2 sensor after the big cat = Federal emissions with no pre-cats

Nice find for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles