b16gsr build thread 2000 XJ 4 door SE expedition rig

b16gsr

nice rig. good job selling that 2 door on BAT, XJs are meant to be driven.

I have a 96 from orange country, 1 owner that is as clean or cleaner (no rips anywhere inside, owner put in a new motor 40k ago from jasper, seat covers since day 1) but has some paint chipping on the roof. It's still cherry but needs suspension replaced, which i'm going to get started on shortly. I called up deaver and they're going to build me something. Why did you go with 3" instead of, say 4-4.5 and future proofing for 33"? are you planning to do an SYE?

Thank you. I agree they are meant to be driven.

Very nice. I love the older body style too. I have owned them from stock to 5" tall. This one will get the 31s and stay. My 2 door is 4.5" with 33's and it can be a pain to get in and out of. I wanted to keep this low for camping. No SYE planned.

b16gsr

So after a short hiatus due to work, work travel and being busy I was finally able to bust some tail on this thing and get a ton done.

First thing to address was the paint and the flares, and the overspray on the paint from whomever decided to try and paint the flares on the Jeep.

Before, they look good from a distance but they were nasty.

Stripped

This is how they really looked

Setting up my paint booth

Prepped and ready for paint

First coat

All done

b16gsr

Now onto the paint. I decided after reading pdqgp post about his experience with the new Lake Country wool pad on the Flex, as well as the Mothers CMX I had to try.

The results are quite great, I couldn't be happier. Left is after/Right is before.

Just remember this shot of the hood.

Tailgate all finished up.

All polished.

Now onto the real treat. I have used OPT products for years, but this revolutionary product has blown my mind.

Hood was rough, this is 50% coated on the right.

Roof is really rough. Not too glossy, lots of failure in the clear and checking. Before.

Roof after.

Hood after.

Back on all fours for the first time since I bought it. I still have yet to drive it.

I replaced the bumper caps with aftermarket that fit surprisingly well. I am waiting on the bumper to get coated and done, and then onto the interior.

b16gsr

Look's fantastic! I wish I had access to a heated shop, lift, balancer, etc.

Thank you. I am really pleased with the way its coming out. Our guys are pretty spoiled by the shop I will say that. They keep it very clean and ready for me to occupy a bay. Haha

b16gsr

Finished up the painting projects last night. Painted the grille and headlamp bezels, as well as the wiper arms.

Prepping

Laying on some color

Now onto finishing the paint and ceramic coating. From what it was to what it is now, I am very pleased.
Look at the blue.

All done

Grille and wipers installed

Very slick now

Time to move onto the interior and then get the bumper all finished up and start driving it.

b16gsr

Found a little more time to plug away at this thing. I am getting excited to get it all back together and start driving it.

First up, replace the sagging headliner.

This gal is a keeper, she took to this awful job like a champ

All finished up

Since this will be used as a Expedition rig, I decided to add some light to the cargo area.

Added my Trail Rated badges as well, I think they are a good OEM touch.

And throwing it back to its Heritage, I had the logos that were on it redone. This covers up some of the damage to the clear coat they caused when removing. I may have the door pieces redone, as they are a little bigger than I expected.

b16gsr

Just about to the finish line. Had a nice day and a couple extra hands and was able to get the bumper and the winch installed. My punch list is getting smaller.

Tie in brackets that I had my fab guy make

Test fit

All done

Sisters

G0to60

Observer
Looks great!

I have the same winch on my JKU and put the control box off to the side so it wouldn't be stuck up in the air so far. Might be something to consider if you want the winch a little lower profile.

b16gsr

Looks great!

I have the same winch on my JKU and put the control box off to the side so it wouldn't be stuck up in the air so far. Might be something to consider if you want the winch a little lower profile.

Thank you.

They sent the wrong bracket for me to do that, was not wide enough so I could not do that.

b16gsr

Well fell backwards into this deal. I had been looking for some parts for this one, namely a OEM LR window and trim, a gauge cluster and steering wheel in good shape. And this came along.

Looks pretty good from that side.

The silly thing runs and drives great, except for the binding steering box. I bought it for less than all of the parts mentioned about would have cost. Its got a 161k miles on it and a clean title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94