b16gsr build thread 2000 XJ 4 door SE expedition rig

b16gsr

old man emu, though expensive has always been my go-to. but i agree with your take of the lifts mentioned above

They are super nice, BUT never net the lift height that I am after. And yes they are expensive as well. I know the XJs pretty well.

Is the two door a Missouri rig, or further south?

Spent majority of its life in California, and a few months in Maryland before it came to Missouri 3 years ago.

b16gsr

Well I got a little free time over the weekend and started polishing the paint. It was really, really rough, but I am seriously impressed how well its coming back to life. A few pics. I am headed out of town this weekend, but hopte to get it closer to done this week.

Right rear 1/4 Before/After

Right rear 1/4 After

Right front fender Before/After

Right front door scratches from decal removal

In process

After

taythegibs

Resident Pirate
dang, I actually had my dad up near chatt going to go look at this jeep but it was sold, im glad its being treated so well!

Whaler

Adventurer
please tell me about the rear hatch "spoiler" trim on the 2dr. It looks pretty sharp with an integrated light.

b16gsr

dang, I actually had my dad up near chatt going to go look at this jeep but it was sold, im glad its being treated so well!

He actually got a couple more in that were a little nicer than mine a still has one. He still has this one: https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/chattanooga-2000-jeep-cherokee/6792273591.html

please tell me about the rear hatch "spoiler" trim on the 2dr. It looks pretty sharp with an integrated light.

Its the Orvis Edition XJ spoiler that was only on the UK XJ. Spoiler lights made a run of replicas. I am not sure they have any left.

https://www.spoilerlights.com/spoil...-custom-spoiler-with-spoiler-led-brake-light/

Worked on it a little more today and got the engine all buttoned up and let it run for the first time since going into the shop. She sounds great. Pics tomorrow.

Grump E-Vet

I already have a Jeep Cherokee specific tent that slips over the hatch

Just don’t hook up the sleeve vehicle connector part from the tent and have it go over your exhaust with the vehicle running. I did that once with my Napier tent and my minivan, I will make sure to not repeat tat mistake with my new family!

Grump E-Vet

@b16gsr I was just wondering with the bigger tires, heavier bumpers and lift and everything you are putting on what is still a 20 year old unibody. Any thoughts of doing some frame and axle reinforcement beforehand? I am thinking axle trusses, frame stiffeners, steering box brace, etc?

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/jeep-xj-frame-stiffeners/

Also maybe looking at regearing and beefing up that Dana 30 axle? This is a video of what the shop did with one off of a WJ.

b16gsr

Just don’t hook up the sleeve vehicle connector part from the tent and have it go over your exhaust with the vehicle running. I did that once with my Napier tent and my minivan, I will make sure to not repeat tat mistake with my new family!

I have used the tent before on another XJ and know not to make that mistake.

@b16gsr I was just wondering with the bigger tires, heavier bumpers and lift and everything you are putting on what is still a 20 year old unibody. Any thoughts of doing some frame and axle reinforcement beforehand? I am thinking axle trusses, frame stiffeners, steering box brace, etc?

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/jeep-xj-frame-stiffeners/

Also maybe looking at regearing and beefing up that Dana 30 axle? This is a video of what the shop did with one off of a WJ.

I have zero intentions of doing any serious offroading, more trail riding, so none of that is at all necessary. The only thing is the frame reinforcement up front with the steering box brace with the bumper. I have wheeled a couple of my rigs pretty hard and never needed any of those things. Like I said I have owned over a dozen and built probably double that.

b16gsr

So I found the source of my oil leak not to be the RMS, but the oil filter adaptor housing. Check out the gasket.

I pulled the valve cover as well and replaced the gasket, as I noticed a leak at the drivers rear that has made a little mess. To my surprise the motor was squeaky clean inside.

These little devils.

A video running after buttoning it all up.

Zeep

Adventurer
What's the purpose of the adapter? My '05 doesn't have one. Why not just thread the filter on the block?
Were those valve guide seals in the pic?

b16gsr

@b16gsr you have an an XJ with the 4.0L I6 motor that leak? First time for everything I suppose...

Strange you say that as its pretty common for a 4.0L rear main and oil filter adaptor to leak on an XJ.

What's the purpose of the adapter? My '05 doesn't have one. Why not just thread the filter on the block?
Were those valve guide seals in the pic?

Specific to the XJ, the filter can not clear the uni frame rail so they turned it 90* with the adaptor. No those were the valvecover gasket grommets that were hard as rocks and a absolute pain to change.

msumms

nice rig. good job selling that 2 door on BAT, XJs are meant to be driven.

I have a 96 from orange country, 1 owner that is as clean or cleaner (no rips anywhere inside, owner put in a new motor 40k ago from jasper, seat covers since day 1) but has some paint chipping on the roof. It's still cherry but needs suspension replaced, which i'm going to get started on shortly. I called up deaver and they're going to build me something. Why did you go with 3" instead of, say 4-4.5 and future proofing for 33"? are you planning to do an SYE?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles