AZALAI Camper for My GX

TexGX

Explorer
The AZALAI camper looks like the perfect solution for my camping needs. I love my GX and think it would be the perfect base truck for this conversion. I have emailed them to get information on shipping a unit over to the US. Does anyone know of a shop that could do this type of work? I am a perfectionist and would want an amazing job done. Here is their website:

http://www.azalai.co.uk/concept.php

They are in the UK so there should be no communication issues (I am Texan so that not be the case). It does seem that the site has not been update recently.

TexGX

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
If you want it built up right, with someone willing to stand behind the work than Slee Offroad is probably the top Toyota guy.
He may be able to help you source a camper box if that company falls through.
Look at his builds, they are excellent

LukeH

Adventurer
If you're serious

I wonder if it's viable to container your Toyota to France where the factory can fit the body. If you plan on travelling east or south from Europe it would definitely be worth your while.
I also wonder if they could be stacked on end, in which case you could get four into a 20ft container :)

I live about two hours away from the factory, Marseille port is just round the corner from the factory; if you want to take your idea further than forum dreamtalk I could certainly enquire.
Actually if you really fancy the idea look into the import duties, handling fees and container prices, and let me know; I would take great pleasure taking time off work to help a fellow Expo member on a real camper project.
Who knows what could come of it:)

TexGX

Explorer
LukeH,

Thanks for the offer. Looks like the are transitioning to another design that will not work on my truck. Here is the reply I received from them:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our incredible Azalai overland conversion.

We are currently in the process of building the first of the "next generation" Azalai (to be called Sherazee). Our design team are currently working on the new pod design and build, which should be completed during the Spring 2014. We are very excited about the launch of the Sherezee, which is planned for April/May 2014.

Here is just a flavour of the improvements for the new model dependant on any amendments during the design process:

· gives much more height at the front of the vehicle

· Bigger windows to provide more light

· Overall bigger inside whilst still fitting in a standard container

· Complete closure for the shower and toilet providing greater privacy and avoiding water ingress to other areas

· Bigger back door to make entry and exit easier

· Improved bed design making stowage easier

The cost for a conversion on a suitable vehicle, at current prices is 60,000 GBP plus cost of vehicle. The pod needs to be mounted on a chassis cab only, so unfortunately your vehicle (Lexus GX470) would not be suitable for the build.

Our parts and build team have vast experience in helping to specify mechanical upgrades to your chosen vehicle for those extra long journeys and are happy to discuss your personal requirements in preparation for your journeys around the globe.

If you have any further questions or specific requirements, please let us know a convenient time to call you and I will arrange for one of our experienced Technicians to discuss them with you.

In the meantime “don't think about a ‘trip of a lifetime’ - the ‘Sherazee’ will give you a ‘lifetime of trips’!

We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Kind regards

Catherine Martin

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

TexGX

LukeH

Adventurer
Give me a few hours with a grinder and your Lexus and I'll give you a chassis cab. :)
Strange they should go that way when the french site talks of Toyota 80 conversions; which to my knowledge have never been chassis-cabs. Mind you that's only the english importer, and he might not want to get involved in custom stuff. Off the shelf is so much simpler it's true. I don't think they would drop all production just to turn out a new model, unless like Bowler offroad (in the uk) they sell off the old design to finance the new. I like their talk ov vacuum resin transfer on the french site, should give a lighter structure for the same resistance.

Unfortunately their main competitor in France - RBmobile - has gone under. Again. They were Loge-Mobile before. They may pop up again under another name yet. The Owner is a great chap, very helpful and knowledgeable; just hopeless in business.

I wonder if there is an opportunity here? Shipping shells to the US and mounting them on small 4x4s; EarthCruiser shipped the molds as far as I can tell...

LukeH

Adventurer
Kind of reminds me of the Action Camper for Jeep JK; http://www.actioncamper.com/details.php?ktid=1&artID=7

Wow! that's a neat little camper, at a reasonable price (especially with the dollar where it is :) ).
Perfect for one of the CRD jeeps we get in Europe; almost a shame the lwb Jeeps only come with 4 doors here.
Yet another opportunity in the other direction.
So I send Azalai shells from France to the USA and bring back Action Camper shells for the EU market!
Oh for a bit of starting capital!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Wow! that's a neat little camper, at a reasonable price (especially with the dollar where it is :) ).
Perfect for one of the CRD jeeps we get in Europe; almost a shame the lwb Jeeps only come with 4 doors here.
Yet another opportunity in the other direction.
So I send Azalai shells from France to the USA and bring back Action Camper shells for the EU market!
Oh for a bit of starting capital!

The Action Camper originates in the EU, and is shipped to the US.

LukeH

Adventurer
AHA!
I never adventure into pop-up truck campers; maybe I should "get out" more.

Just goes to show that Americanising a camper shell is possible, but it clearly requires more investment than I'm capable of...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior