AZ Box Canyon/Martinez Cabins/Martinez Canyon Loop

crawldit

Adventurer
Ran this on Sunday with a buddy of mine. He drives an SOA YJ on 35's with no lockers and I've got the Rubi with 2" lift and 31's. I didn't really time the trip to the cabins and back but the actual loop took about 3 hrs. We are both competent drivers and the day was fairly uneventfull. All of the carnage for the day belonged to me. I ripped a tire valve out going through one of the rock gardens and I bent the snot outta my farmer jack. For all you people that are looking for a place to mount your hi-lift I can tell you right now that the front bumper is the worst place. I bent the handle back to the point that it's touching my bumper and I bent the base as well. Over all I'd say it wasn't too difficult. I followed my buddy up all the hardlines and was able make it through pretty easily with him spotting. I wouldn't mind a little more clearance at the belly or some better clearance at the pumkpins via some bigger tires, but all in all I'm extremely happy with the performance of the rig considering it only has a Budget Boost on it. Here are some pics:

Shameless BB Flex
CIMG0785.jpg

My buddy crawling up the section that ate my valve stem
CIMG0800.jpg

Big Jeep and Baby Jeep Taking a breather
CIMG0795.jpg

My buddy making it look easy
CIMG0812.jpg

My cool scenery pick of the day
CIMG0827.jpg

The rest of the album can be found here
http://community.webshots.com/album/547523982lajJSb

On a side note, I can't believe the number of people that were out that day and weren't prepared. We got stopped at least 6 times in Box Canyon and on the way to the cabins by people that were completely lost. The best part is that NONE of them had maps. Luckily we had two GPS units, a trail book and a map so that we could show these people where they were and to give them direction to where they wanted to go. The craziest event of the day was at the end of the day when we were airing up our tires. We're standing around waiting and we see this truck come by towing a pretty well built ranger behind it. They make the turn onto the 79 and we hear this BANG! and both vehicles stop. 5 minutes later a couple of kids (no more than 17 yrs old) come over to us and ask if we had a tow strap they could buy. To our suprise the one kid is holding the remains of some tie down/ratchet straps in his hand!!! None of them had thought to bring a tow strap so when they broke down they used 3 ratchet straps to tow the ranger. Apparently the bang we heard was the metal buckles slamming against the rear of the tow vehicle after they had snapped. That could have been seriously ugly. Needless to say we sold them a strap and hopefully they got home safe. Even more so, I hope they learned a lesson.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Great Pics and story!
Do you want to or are you planning ot go again?
Anyone else want to go for a day trail ride?!

I've only done Box Canyon at night, in the dark!
I thought it was beautiful then but the pics in the daylight look even better!

Let's Go!
Thanks Crawldit!:victory:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I loved that trail, very hard and very scenic. When I ran the Martinez Loop in Nov 03 in my old ZR2, the steering wheel was about 45 degrees off after the trail. The drive back to NM was interesting, replaced the idler as soon as I got home. I hope they restore the cabins someday.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That is one of the most scenic trails I know of out here. Add in a "moderate" challenge, and you have a great day. Although I must say that the last time I ran it, it seemed to be getting easier....still a killer view from the top though!

:victory:

jaco

Observer
expeditionswest said:
Jake,

Thanks for the great write up and pictures :)

I was hoping to get to do the martinez loop, I still haven't done that yet... I may plan a trip to do that with some camping etc.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Although I must say that the last time I ran it, it seemed to be getting easier...:victory:

You said the same thing about Charlouleau. I think you are just becoming a master. ;)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Actually, quite the contrary. My driving skills are pretty rusty right now. I rarely get to spend any time on technical terrain, and it shows. But despite that, the trails are (IMO) getting easier.

Upper Ajax on the other hand, hasn't gotton much easier...particularly since it had water running through it....

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Martinez is a fun trail for sure. Haven't been there in several years, guess it was in 2002.

The TTORA guys got a stock 2005 Taco w/ sliders around the loop last weekend, so it must be a lot easier than it once was...

clarkrw3

Observer
Goodtimes...I was actually pretty impressed on UA what the Rubi with a modist lift could do. Not sure if it wasn't the driver, would hate to give credit to a heep. The only reason I can see to go higher is that stupid belly pan that hangs so low...what whas jeep thinking.

Westy

Adventurer
crawler#976 said:
Martinez is a fun trail for sure. Haven't been there in several years, guess it was in 2002.

The TTORA guys got a stock 2005 Taco w/ sliders around the loop last weekend, so it must be a lot easier than it once was...

Mark - a few weeks ago I was out with a group of guys and we also got a stock Tacoma with sliders through Martinez - no damage at all, I was impressed, of course he took all the bypasses around the mill areas. Some of the trail has got easier but some of the parts before the mill are just as difficult.

alia176

Explorer
Fellas,

What is the name of the AZ tail book that you used for the Box canyon/Martinez cabins/martinez canyon loop? I'd like to have it before I head out there on 4/17. Of course, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I ran this trail with y'all on that weekend!

Ali

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
clarkrw3 said:
Goodtimes...I was actually pretty impressed on UA what the Rubi with a modist lift could do. Not sure if it wasn't the driver, would hate to give credit to a heep. The only reason I can see to go higher is that stupid belly pan that hangs so low...what whas jeep thinking.

The jeep makes it look easy. That is a short wheel base friendly trail....add in (relatively) deep gears, decent tires, a pair of lockers...all the driver has to do is keep the fenders out of the rocks.

Believe it or not...the belly pan under my jeep is not the stock piece. The factory part hangs a full 5.25" below the frame! I beat mine up so bad that the entire back end of the drivetrain was pushed so far up that the transmission shift lever was hitting the console and wouldn't stay in 1st/3rd/5th gear. The pan under mine is a *little* stiffer than the OE part, a *little* heavier, and is as close to the frame as you can get while keeping the factory transfer case mount.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find some pics of the old one I pulled out....

Here we go. The "old" part is laying on top of the "new" part. The new one is about 2" shorter than the old one (so it only hangs about 3.25" below the frame....still to low, but w/o raising the entire drivetrain relative to the frame, or making a custom transfer case mount--which will only gain another 1/2" or so--this is as tight as they get).

Attachments

• Untitled-16a.jpg
    Untitled-16a.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94