Axle-less trailer suspension. This is interesting!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
These have been around for awhile. Small trailers will work fine with them, but putting large tires on the trailers like we normally due, puts a lot of stress on the frame. I would suggest major cross bars at the axle point. If you are using narrow tires and the depth of the wheel is not extreme, they could work. Timbren I think is the name of the original design.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader

Thats a Torsion. Torsion like that are not well suited to off road use and typically not rebuild able. These you can easily replace the spring rubber or put in a spring that suits the trailers weight better to fine tune.

Better prices at E trailer and better descriptions. Click on the one that most suits need and it has a LOT more info.
http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=timbren

I think for most of us looking for brakes this would be the one to get .
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Timbren/A35RS545E.html

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
These have been around for awhile. Small trailers will work fine with them, but putting large tires on the trailers like we normally due, puts a lot stress on the frame. I would suggest major cross bars at the axle point. If you are using narrow tires and the depth of the wheel is not extreme, they could work. Timbren I think is the name of the original design.
Lots of mounting options with these. The 3500 lb units have a provision for a cross bar if mounting to an existing frame giving it the profile of the typical torsion axle for frames (C style) that might problems with the twist it would put on the frame rail if the trailer was originally a conventional spring or Torsion.

A lot of us are building one off frames so building the frame with that support already in it is no big deal. Its not as elegant as AT's set up but its an option for those of us building a one off that want a step up from traditional axles.
Diagrams and pictures of the mounting options in this link
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Timbren/A35RS545E.html

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Most of our expedition type trailers have no need for a 3500 pound torsion axle. You must understand that a 3500 pound torision axle is exactly that. Designed structurally by steel and rubber to support 3500 pounds. It will hop all over the place and most likely tear the trailer apart. Going down to a 2000 pound axle set up is about the upper end for torsion on small trailers. I use a 2700 pound Dexter on my trailers, and mine are heavier than any other on the market I think. Also remember the manufacturer builds in overkill as they expect to buyer to overload the trailer. I really do not think this idea is good for off road. To make the frame strong enough to support the torque developed, would require a 2x2 120 wall cross member directly accross between the two. That would eliminate a water tank mounted under the trailer. Just thoughts.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Also remember that Dexter Torflex are used on every single military trailer weighing under 5 thousand pounds. You can purchase the exact same axle, for less than what is being published above. I would be more than happy to provide pricing if needed.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Most of our expedition type trailers have no need for a 3500 pound torsion axle. You must understand that a 3500 pound torision axle is exactly that. Designed structurally by steel and rubber to support 3500 pounds. It will hop all over the place and most likely tear the trailer apart. Going down to a 2000 pound axle set up is about the upper end for torsion on small trailers. I use a 2700 pound Dexter on my trailers, and mine are heavier than any other on the market I think. Also remember the manufacturer builds in overkill as they expect to buyer to overload the trailer. I really do not think this idea is good for off road. To make the frame strong enough to support the torque developed, would require a 2x2 120 wall cross member directly accross between the two. That would eliminate a water tank mounted under the trailer. Just thoughts.

See that's exactly why these are interesting to me.

You cannot adjust a Torsion to your load. I drive a Toyota product and most 6 lugs with brakes are 3000lb+ axles. I also want the better wheel bearings because I have had 2k axles burn up bearings.

That design you can change the spring rubber to match the load and I'm really curious if it has enough room for a small air bag or you could easily pull the spring rubber out and make an extension plate and run a full size bag behind the axle line like the video above.

I'm presenting another option.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Dexter will supply you a six lug braked axle down to 1700 pounds. You can order what ever weight you are looking for. I have drug my torflex on some pretty tough trails, and yet to end up with a mark on it. The cross member axle, makes the trailer much stronger also. With the Timbren you also have quite a few bolts to be concerned with.

I looked at them about 4 years ago, but just do not feel they would be dependable enough for use on my trailers. Personal choice. I have used Dexter Torflex since they started selling them in the United States. A proven product in the off road industry, IE military trailers.

I do see the advantage of no cross member, but I really have no room for a cross member in my frames there. I use the axle as my cross member which ends up about 1 inche below the water tank.

I will be starting a new build soon, and will post pictures of why I can not use this type of set up.

Good luck if you try them, I am anxious to see how they work over the long haul.

Bob

rammland

Observer
I ended up borrowing a trailer for a rough 140 mile trip with the timbren set-up and I loved it! Very composed on and off-road, I left street pressure in the tires to give it a real test and it honestly didn't even seem to care.

www.jackwagonoffroad.com is the company's trailer that we used

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles