Axle hangers in wrong location. How can i fix?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Ok so I got my axle set and welded on and was told from my local dexter axle dealer that my axle hanger centers should be placed at 23 3/4” since my spring bolt centers are at 23 1/4”. Well I welded them up and to their specs and it doesn’t look right to me. I’m going to be pissed if I have to cut these off because they were welded on to stay. It may mess up my frame to cut them off. What are my options?

8b1a5dcb42683044ccfc0e22e315cbc2.jpg

ac4496f2a49c780001addd6b9582bef0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bolt hanging from the frame should be slightly inward (under the spring) of the bolt on the spring. That setup will be stiff and not flex. When the spring flattens out the spring hanger should go rearward.
Here's mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
The bolt hanging from the frame should be slightly inward (under the spring) of the bolt on the spring. That setup will be stiff and not flex. When the spring flattens out the spring hanger should go rearward.

So basically I need to cut this off and start over. This is going to be fun.

Upside down unloaded the hanger should be 5-10 degrees rearward. Once turned over and loaded at ride height it should be about 45 degrees. Main thing is you never want it straight up or pointed forward unloaded but just rearward enough you can flatten spring without spring hitting mount.

Hint tack them on. Once finished and trailer loaded inspect and move if needed then completely weld.

honda250xtitan

that sucks. angle grinder with cut off disk and patience, you won't mess the frame or the brackets up. Clean it up with flap disk. Fill any gouges you may make with the welder. good as new.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Not to nitpick, but your axle is also on upside down. The camber “point” should aim up

Yes you are correct. They shipped the axle with the springs on top for some reason. I’ve fixed it. Also we cut off the brackets and used a flap disk and got it back to where it needs to be. All better now.

e4227dfa6f15c95f4bb29c98197dbdd3.jpg

Also I was a little surprised to see my wheels stick out as far as they do. I must have messed up a measurement somewhere because the wheels are 3” from the frame. I think i was hoping for 1 1/2” max. Also my total width from outside of tire to outside of tire is 87”. That seems really wide to me. I don’t remember what my last trailer was but this one seems wider. Maybe I’m wrong though. I built this for a queen bed at 60” so maybe I’m not to wide but it sure seems like I am. My Jeep wheels are only 78” wide. So I’m 11” over my Jeep tire width.

mudraider

Adventurer
Even if you cut that 3" down to 1 1/2", you'll still be wide at 84". There's no getting around this trailer is gonna be wider than your jeep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Even if you cut that 3" down to 1 1/2", you'll still be wide at 84". There's no getting around this trailer is gonna be wider than your jeep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I realize I’m going to be wider than my Jeep and I’m ok with that because I wanted to build this to fit a queen bed which is 60” wide. So with my tires at 12” wide each plus 3” clearance I’m right at 87” where it should be. I’m pretty sure this was my exact same width as my last trailer also.

For those of you that have built trailers to pull behind your Jeep are you using a queen bed or a full? Also what is your outside width of your tires on the trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke