Axe or chainsaw?

pb_beaker

Observer
I have an axe but after a recent trip I got to thinking. There was alot of dead wood laying around and we had braught our own (who would of thought). Wouldnt it be easier to bring a small 16" chainsaw then bring our own wood?

Does anyone already carry a chainsaw? If so, what type and how do you like it?

mikelite80

Adventurer
I carry both if headed into the woods, but also always have an axe with me. I've got a little 14" home lite. It's the home depot house brand, got it on clearance for like $60. Works good for what I need.

Mike

Lars70

Observer
Chainsaw... had a 14" Echo on a trans-Nevada trip last March. Indispensable for quick firewood gathering and one impromptu route clearing effort. It wasn't mine, but next time I'll have one of my own.

ddog45

Adventurer
wow

Im surprized at the responses to this question. Personally I am offended by most people who think they can cut trees in national forests. I hate it when I am camping and hear someone running a chainsaw. Shooting bothers me even more. I can see using a chainsaw in the spring to clear trees off of trails but other than that bring wood from home. A nice sharp double bit axe can make quick work of most trees. If every person that used the trails here on the front range brought a chainsaw camping there would be no trees left. I try to practice leave no trace ethics whenever possible.
OOOPS so sorry didnt see the part about the downed and dead wood.

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
Huh. I'm surprised you didn't read the posts which clearly indicate that the context of the discussion is specifically limited to "dead wood lying around" and "impromptu route clearing" only.

AKRover

Adventurer
I know for a fact that anything in the Chugiach National forest that is dead or down is fair game because the forest ranger told me so. Who in their right mind would fell a live tree for fire wood anyway? I'm not sure what the rules are in other national forests though.

With that said I ale ays have an axe wih me just because it's easier to pack. If I had more room I would bring a small chiansaw. Which would mean that I would get to buy a new one because all of mine are big. :ylsmoke:

mikelite80

Adventurer
Only time I cut down a live tree is when we pick our Christmas tree. Yes with a permit of course :)

Where we go most often there is plenty of dead fall around. Helps clean up the forest picking up that stuff. I'm pretty sure no one here is hacking up the forest just cause we have the tools with us.

Mike

rjcj-8

Adventurer
........other than that bring wood from home. A nice sharp double bit axe can make quick work of most trees. If every person that used the trails here on the front range brought a chainsaw camping there would be no trees left. I try to practice leave no trace ethics whenever possible.

Here in the south east bringing in wood from home is discouraged or band in areas due to insect infestations that are killing a lot of the native pines and other ever greens. You either have to collect dead fall, which is encouraged, or purchase firewood locally. But cutting live trees is not permitted and will get you a nice little fine.

I do agree with you on the leave no trace and in most if no all cases leave the area I camp in in better condition than when I found it. That includes reducing the chance of bringing in outside pest.

pb_beaker

Observer
Im glad to see everyone is in agreement. "THE DEAD WOOD LYING AROUND" is all im talking about. I would NEVER cut down a green tree for fire wood on the trail unless my life depended on it.

RR1

Explorer
Im surprized at the responses to this question. Personally I am offended by most people who think they can cut trees in national forests. I hate it when I am camping and hear someone running a chainsaw. Shooting bothers me even more. I can see using a chainsaw in the spring to clear trees off of trails but other than that bring wood from home. A nice sharp double bit axe can make quick work of most trees. If every person that used the trails here on the front range brought a chainsaw camping there would be no trees left. I try to practice leave no trace ethics whenever possible.

I have Mongol blood flowing in my veins, I practice scorched Earth policy when I camp.

Kidding...:elkgrin:

You're reading too much into the little use of words people used. This is for deadfall. Just because I didn't mention getting a firewood permit doesn't mean I don't get one. Hey some people don't motorized vehicles either, should we leave those at home too? Like an automobile, chainsaws and guns are just another tool to make life easier.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I think he got his point across and there may be some that needed to read it. I often post to the world wide web and not the OP and yes it can come across as ignoring an individual or almost off-topic. It's done to complete a thread topic or target new readers that may need the info. You never know who happens to "click on by" so to speak and you never know what good info may come after a blunt post that winds up helping more than the OP.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used to carry a bowsaw ?

even when I lived in the NW and did 4 wheeling in the olympics for 3 days at a time going everywhere I only used the saw a couple times and then just winched anything clear that was to large ! cut on both ends or one end and winch it and then push it along the trail ?

not that I am against a chain saw just hate carrying one and gas inside a rig

super sharp axe I could limb something to clear it in no time :)

my brother used to be a logger in Colorado and I used to carry his corks :) they were fun to run around in the clear cuts with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior