Awnings

Randun

I'm thinking about getting an awning. Do any of you have one on your rigs? If so, what are the pros and cons of having an awning that is mounted to your vehicle at all times?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have awnings on my trailer.

Pros: Keeps the weather off us.
Cons: Gotta dry them off, keep them staked down. Lost our last one to a random wind gust that just mangled it beyond recognition.

If the weather is perfect we don't deploy them. When it's too sunny or too wet, you'll love them.

Randun

I have awnings on my trailer.

Pros: Keeps the weather off us.
Cons: Gotta dry them off, keep them staked down. Lost our last one to a random wind gust that just mangled it beyond recognition.

If the weather is perfect we don't deploy them. When it's too sunny or too wet, you'll love them.
Thank you so much for your time and your help!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have had one on the LR for years. Solid fixed to the RR. Should be staked for wind, not good for heavy snow, bent the bars. Great for sun and rain. solid metal storage box and not cloth like many are.
IMG_0047.JPG

Randun

I have had one on the LR for years. Solid fixed to the RR. Should be staked for wind, not good for heavy snow, bent the bars. Great for sun and rain. solid metal storage box and not cloth like many are.
View attachment 629086
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

Trailwerx

I'm thinking about getting an awning. Do any of you have one on your rigs? If so, what are the pros and cons of having an awning that is mounted to your vehicle at all times?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!
After researching a lot of different awnings, we ended up with one of these removable ones. It's a new company and we have not tried it out yet (other than setting it up in the living room lol) but it seems very well-made and sturdy. It stores in a fairly small bag, weighs like 9 pounds and seems easy enough to set up and take down. MoonShade • The portable vehicle awning that goes almost anywhere (moonfab.com)

JackW

Explorer
After researching a lot of different awnings, we ended up with one of these removable ones. It's a new company and we have not tried it out yet (other than setting it up in the living room lol) but it seems very well-made and sturdy. It stores in a fairly small bag, weighs like 9 pounds and seems easy enough to set up and take down. MoonShade • The portable vehicle awning that goes almost anywhere (moonfab.com)

I saw those and it looks very impressive - I have a Bus Depot awning that is similar (Except the top bows are under the tent canopy) that I use on my Eriba travel trailer.
It works very well and has withstood some pretty heavy wind gusts - properly staked down of course. I'll be interested in hearing more about the MoonShade when you get a chance to use it.

Randun

I have never heard of this type before. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reviving this thread (almost 13 months old.)

I received a Moonshade vehicle awning as a xmas gift. Does anyone have further experience with using this awning?

I currently have a Slumberjack awning which works fine but is difficult to set up solo.

Thanks!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've got a small awning on my Jeep TJ. The mounting brackets stay on all the time, but the awning comes off with four bolts. So most of the time it is off the Jeep and stored in the shop. Only takes a few minutes to take off or put back on.

Mine's a cheap ebay awning: Car Tent Awning Rooftop SUV Truck Camping Travel Shelter Outdoor Sunshade Canopy | eBay

There are times it has more than paid for itself in rainy weather. Is a pain to put up my myself (especially if windy). If raining, make one pole shorter so the water flows off the fabric. I definitely stake it down. Haven't been in any serious windstorms with it (if anticipated, I wouldn't deploy it). Never had any noise issues with it when driving.

First time I set it up was in my driveway.

canopy.26.jpg

canopy.2.jpg

canopy.3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94