Awning idea- extruded track and a folding tarp with poles and guy wires?

zimm17

Observer
I have a Wrangler with hardtop. I can't run a roof rack and awning and still fit in the garage. I'm wondering if anyone makes a removable awning. I can see mounting an extruded aluminum track that an awning can slide into, then use poles and some guy lines and stakes for tension. When removed, the material could be folded up and stored in a bag. Google is finding nothing....

zimm17

Observer
That might be the winner. Time to research that option. Thanks!

Edit- the wind break wall I found is attached with velcro.....

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We bought this one in Europe. Packs up in the same size as a one person tent. Paid around $120.00 .

Attachments

• 90714003_10158263840511974_8293470127886696448_n.jpg
    90714003_10158263840511974_8293470127886696448_n.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 49

zimm17

Observer
I think a 7' length of "Keder rail" using 3m VHB tape along the top of my hard top will do the trick.

Then sew this onto the edge of a shade awning cloth:

Grommets on the outside corners and a pair of poles.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
So many possibilities with a Keder Rail! I made some slide in attachments that will let us attach many different things like clotheslines and tarps with grommets.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-5454.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-5454.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail_IMG-5455.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-5455.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: WVI

outback97

Adventurer
That might be the winner. Time to research that option. Thanks!

Edit- the wind break wall I found is attached with velcro.....

The ARB 813207 wind break wall slides into a rail, versus the side wall panels that attach with velcro straps.

Sounds like you may roll your own but that could be an option if you wanted something already made.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Wow, I’m glad I clicked this thread, has my braining running on potential rear awning ideas for my tailgate.

Good info guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We have sail tracks along the side and rear and can rig an L shaped shade.
Lots of poles and lots of lines and pegs for very high winds.
054 (12)E.jpg
BUT we find it more convenient to rig it as a free standing shade.
Sometimes we want the shade in a different place from the vehicle and having it free standing we can move the vehicle easily.
054 (35).JPG
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Reactions: WVI

zimm17

Observer
I got the Keder tracks installed with 3M VHB tape on both sides of the Jeep. I went with the plastic track because it's black vs the silver aluminum. There won't be much stress on the track so the VHB tape should hold up. I sent the sail track material to a tarp maker who is going to make me a 7x8 tarp out of lightweight sil-nylon. I bought a pair of REI awning poles that collapse down pretty small. It was cheaper to buy the tracks and material factory direct than through the sail supply company. Shipping was only $16 for an 8' long box!

IMG_1424.jpegIMG_1427.jpegIMG_1451.jpeg

zimm17

Observer
The awning arrived today. It works great for the sun. I'll have to experiment in the rain. I think I can drop one pole down and maybe it'll drain. There's also a loop in the front center, I can tie a 3rd line so it pulls the center down like a "V". One of those 2 should work in light rain.

IMG_1517.jpegIMG_1516.jpeg

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’d look into a tarp made from DCF (dyneema composite fiber)

It won’t stretch like sil nylon, and is inherently water proof while being incredibly strong and light.

Also that tarp pictured looks to be loose. I’d stake it out tighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles