Awning fabric question

Lykos

Super Trucker
Hey all. I'm on the market for an awning and have a question for those that know.
How much shade does your awning give you? It seems a silly question but here's where I'm coming from. I've had Ezups that use such a thin translucent material that they're virtually no help in the midday sun. I've had others that block virtually all of the suns light and heat.

I don't want to spend money on a vehicle awning only to find out the material is too thin to do me any good.

If you don't mind please tell me what awning you have and how shady it is. Myself and my music festival camp mates will love you for it.
Thanks!

Lykos

Super Trucker
Watch this video, it will tell you what to look for.

How to select a shade awning
I've seen that video. It's a lot of good information.

I know what style and setup I want. I'm asking for first hand experience with your awning and how well the awning material you have blocks light.

I'm mainly interested in the Rhino Rack and ARB models.

aaen

Adventurer
I've seen that video. It's a lot of good information.

I know what style and setup I want. I'm asking for first hand experience with your awning and how well the awning material you have blocks light.

I'm mainly interested in the Rhino Rack and ARB models.

Apologies, my awning is currently one of the many varieties of the ARB/Ironman/ Roll up awnings out there. The fabric is amazing at blocking sunlight,especially as you can adjust the height of the awning so it angles downward/etc. That being said, I find these awnings to be a royal pain in the ******** to setup. And don't really do that great of a job.

I've yet to find an awning that the fabric doesn't work to block adequate sunlight.

My new awning, Shadow Awning, although not able to be adjusted to block sun, will work amazing in the rain, and sun. Although I'll have to be aware of how I park the truck to get maximum coverage of the awning at dusk/dawn.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Apologies, my awning is currently one of the many varieties of the ARB/Ironman/ Roll up awnings out there. The fabric is amazing at blocking sunlight,especially as you can adjust the height of the awning so it angles downward/etc. That being said, I find these awnings to be a royal pain in the ******** to setup. And don't really do that great of a job.

I've yet to find an awning that the fabric doesn't work to block adequate sunlight.

My new awning, Shadow Awning, although not able to be adjusted to block sun, will work amazing in the rain, and sun. Although I'll have to be aware of how I park the truck to get maximum coverage of the awning at dusk/dawn.

Copy that. It's exactly the info I was looking for. I had an ezup years ago with an aluminized material that allowed virtually no light to pass. It was awesome! I guess I'm stuck with whatever fabric I get and will make due.

Thanks Sir!

KK6POV

Adventurer
I have. A rhino rack, the awning is identical to the oztent. Medium weight canvas, blocks rain, snow, sleet, hail, sun, and small pine cones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles