Awning efficency questions

Yroundrdn

Observer
I have a suburban and am thinking about an awning. We have not camped where it would be necessary yet it will be in a few weeks. I was looking at the Overland Pros 270 degree but when you look at all the photos, the awnings do not seem to be providing too much shade other than for the side of the vehicle. Also, I would have to go with the smaller one since I can't pick it up and don't want to pay the high shipping cost. I certainly don't want walls for shade so the question is, have these been worth the cost for the amount of shade provided? Not sure what other options other than a pop up shade you can move around but thought I would ask.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
You'd have to be strategic about how your truck's parked. When the awning shades the truck instead of the ground below it, it's because the suns on that side of the truck. If the truck turned around there'd be a lot of shade. That said, I've only found awnings to be useful when you're going to be parked in the same place for at least most of the day. Otherwise they're a pain to set up and stake down.

Yroundrdn

Observer
turns out it's not what we needed since we are on the move most of the time and I really don't want to try and position myself around an awning. I will make one for the back so we can still cook if it rains but that will be a very simple one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94