Awesome Ford roaming around Jackson

Dalko43

Explorer
There was a fellow with a similar-looking tray and canopy over on the AEV forum.

I don't know who made his tray and canopy. Maybe norweld?

mponton

Nomad
After doing some more research looks like this could be a Norweld Canopy or a custom build. Looks like Australia is the place to be for a Ute Canopy with quite a few manufacturers.

So besides Mainline Overland (Importing Norweld) anyone know of any fabricators that would be able to replicate stateside on a semi budget?

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/pages/norweld-aluminum-canopy

https://www.instagram.com/norweldaustraliausa/
(Was hoping to see the vehicle in here)

https://www.utebosscanopies.com.au/

tyv12

Adventurer
Ya the mainline was is norweld... aluminum, custom fab and budget don't really go
In the same sentence. I believe the expo overland tray and canopy they put on their tundra which was 6' only I believe that setup is north of $30000 but amazing forsure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mponton

Nomad
Ya the mainline was is norweld... aluminum, custom fab and budget don't really go
In the same sentence. I believe the expo overland tray and canopy they put on their tundra which was 6' only I believe that setup is north of $30000 but amazing forsure

I was more looking for a flatbed utility canopy that I could install the MSR fridge dropper and such. I just can't justify that price. Any other options for secure cargo capacity and function?

mponton

Nomad

I was more looking for a flatbed utility canopy that I could install the MSR fridge dropper and such. I just can't justify that price. Any other options for secure cargo capacity and function?

ttengineer

Adventurer

Either the Australian dollar is exceptionally weak, or the guys over at Patriot have lost their damn minds.

$220,000 for a Ram 3500 with a tray bed! That’s insane. At most it’s a $70,000 chassis cab truck, plus let’s say $10,000 for suspension goodies and labor, then $20k-$30k for the tray and all its goodies. Where is that other $100k coming from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It does have the 'Expo-look' badging with all that stuff hanging on the outside. I wonder if he'll be camping in Jackson, say Feb. 10th to 25th? No? Maybe a fair weather camper. There is no limit to the amount of money you can throw at an, 'Expo-look' machine. We were in Death Valley a few years ago, on one of the dozens of trips we made there and spied an earthroamer near us in the parking lot at the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere. It was really impressive close up. It had out-of-state plates, at least 3 dozen bolts on every beadlocked wheel

and most impressive was the lack of stuff hanging on the outside.

jefe

Ramjet

Explorer
Either the Australian dollar is exceptionally weak, or the guys over at Patriot have lost their damn minds.

$220,000 for a Ram 3500 with a tray bed! That’s insane. At most it’s a $70,000 chassis cab truck, plus let’s say $10,000 for suspension goodies and labor, then $20k-$30k for the tray and all its goodies. Where is that other $100k coming from?

You should see what went into that build though. Everything was custom one off which means a lot more money. The PCOR tray and canopy are a bit cheaper than what is being offered here in the states. It’s all what you like though, mate. Cheers.

ttengineer

Adventurer

You should see what went into that build though. Everything was custom one off which means a lot more money. The PCOR tray and canopy are a bit cheaper than what is being offered here in the states. It’s all what you like though, mate. Cheers.

I’m not referring to their company Ram, I’m referring to the build they offer the public. According to the build sheet on the site, the only custom thing that it gets is the decal kit, fender flares, and extended range gas tank.

The rest of the parts are off the shelf stuff unless there are some high end electronics on the inside.

Hell that $220k doesn’t even include LED light bars! Which are quoted at $4k.

It must be a weak conversion rate. That’s the only explanation for the prices.

EDIT: $1 USD = $1.40 AUD

Price still doesn’t make sense unless there is some HUGE tax on bringing a Ram to Australia.

Ramjet

Explorer
I’m not referring to their company Ram, I’m referring to the build they offer the public. According to the build sheet on the site, the only custom thing that it gets is the decal kit, fender flares, and extended range gas tank.

The rest of the parts are off the shelf stuff unless there are some high end electronics on the inside.

Hell that $220k doesn’t even include LED light bars! Which are quoted at $4k.

It must be a weak conversion rate. That’s the only explanation for the prices.

EDIT: $1 USD = $1.40 AUD

Price still doesn’t make sense unless there is some HUGE tax on bringing a Ram to Australia.

Very true. It is expensive for what you get. Cheers, mate.

HayStax

I am bummed by the lack of options available in the States for Aussie style flatbed and canopy builds. I plan to do some research this winter and if I don’t find a reasonably priced option I plan to build my own. The only real value I can place on an import is the R&D cost, which admittedly is substantial. However, the execution of the simple idea is lacking IMO on the Mainline Norweld trucks. PCOR is simply overpriced for non custom product, I’m sure there is a substantial cost due shipping, but I’m a little underwhelmed at the moment. Maybe the demand is just not as great as I envision here in the U.S. But when you look at fiberglass toppers, drawer platforms, racks, RTTs, storage boxes, etc I don’t see value there either, just bolt on junk with a hefty retail margin

Outback Customs has some sweet looking rigs on their Aus website and Instagram, lots of cool ideas if you search #customtray on Instagram. Total Composites will sell you all the pieces for a custom camper. Neduro just built a slick canopy for himself. There are options but right now none are as cheap and easy as they could be.

If my truck shows up on schedule I plan to start my own thread, hope you find what you’re looking for but glad to hear there are at least a couple of us that think there is a better way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles