AWD Sprinter announcement; expected in North America in early 2015

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There are already a couple of other 4x4 Sprinter threads around ExPo, but it seems best to create a new thread for the factory Mercedes version which, after a decade of false starts, appears to actually be coming to North America next year.

The details are in this press announcement:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...es-new-meaning-to-van-traction-248795521.html.

It sounds like a workable system given the way most overlanders will use their Sprinters, though not as serious a system as the full-transfer-case conversions currently offered by Whitefeather and Upscale Automotive

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Interesting - here is a part of the announcement:

The Sprinter 4x4 may not be an off-roader, but its body was lifted by 4.3 inches (110 mm) at the front and 3.1 inches (80 mm) in the rear. The slope climbing ability is up to 20 percent higher than in the Sprinter with conventional drive. Depending on the body style, the all-wheel drive system of the Sprinter 4x4 merely adds about 265 lbs. (120 kg) in weight, which means only a minimal effect on payload. Thus far, previous versions of the Sprinter 4x4 have been sold in markets such as Germany, Switzerland, Australia, Italy, Austria, and France.

The Sprinter 4x4 can also be equipped with an optional low range gear that makes it even more sure-footed in difficult terrain. When the driver pushes the low-range button, the gearing is shortened by 42%. Tractive power increases accordingly.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
W00t!

I wonder if this will force Ford's hand vis a vis 4WD for the Transporter? (Or is that settled? I haven't been keeping up on the latest, there)

jgolden

Adventurer
I love it!!!
I've been waiting for this announcement for months (ok, more like years). I have 4 boys, this will be the ultimate adventure wagon.
Does anyone know how Iglhaut and others fit larger tires?
Thx!!!

haven

Expedition Leader
Yep, it's officially official:
-- available in first quarter of calendar year 2015
-- available with 144" and 170" wheelbases
-- low and high roof configurations
-- body styles Passenger Van, Crew Van, and Cargo Van (both 8,550 and 11,030 GVWRs)
-- 3.0L V6 BlueTEC turbodiesel (188 hp and 325 lb-ft)
-- transfer case with low range optional
-- price not yet announced (but likely to be very expensive)

This 4x4 announcement will get the attention of the managers behind the Ford Transit, Ram Promaster, and Nissan NV van programs. The availability of a two speed transfer case will increase pressure on Fuso to offer a similar low range in the Canter (presently single-speed only in USA).

Too bad the 4x4 won't be offered in the cab-and-chassis Sprinter. That would be a nice platform for the All Terrain Warriors Alpha camper or the EarthCruiser, instead of the Fuso Canter.

Here's a Mercedes publicity photo for the 2014 4x4 van, as sold in Europe
sprinter4x42.jpg

jgolden

Adventurer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that might be the best "around the world" vehicle that's offered new in USA???

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that might be the best "around the world" vehicle that's offered new in USA???
Nothing beats a van this size for the combination of fuel economy, decent performance and comfortable (and enough) space to live in over a long period. So I suspect it'd be in the running.

There is a high initial purchase price to deal with, but if you figure your living "cabin" is virtually free, it's reasonable value. The principle drawback I see is that this is (in common with all new US vehicles) a highly-computerized truck and thus, should you break down in Mongolia, you're in worse shape than if you were driving, say, a stone-simple 30-year-old Unimog or Land Cruiser. Sprinters aren't less reliable than other vehicles, but--again, as with every new truck--they sometimes fail in ways that aren't clear until they're hooked up to the dealer's diagnostic computer. And while there are a few spares you can carry to cover some of the more common failures, when things go wrong, even the most mechanically-inclined might need professional help.

Things wouldn't be different with most modern computer controlled vehicles. You'd probably have to get something from the last century to start getting around this problem, and you'd want an 80's truck with carbs or mechanical fuel injection to feel entirely good about it. This then introduces the question of whether you prefer an ancient vehicle that has a problem you can fix every 10,000 miles or one that has a problem you can't fix every 100,000.

Having said all of that, realize that the biggest issue is that you'd be places that won't have the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel necessary for any new US diesel truck to run right (and pass emissions tests when you bring it back to the US). This suggests using T1N Sprinters from 2006 and earlier (unless you search out the rare and unloved-at-the-time petrol engined 07/08 NCV3). This concern is relevant for all US light diesel trucks post-2007, I believe.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If it makes it into Car and Driver . . .

. . . it must really be going to happen. Frabjous day.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-to-offer-lifted-sprinter-4x4-and-its-coming-to-the-u-s

2014-mercedes-benz-sprinter-316-bluetec-4x4-photo-579305-s-520x318.jpg

The lift is cool, but I can't tell what it'll do in terms of allowing bigger tires. (Not that you'd want to try spinning 37s with the 188 hp engine anyway.)

It's exciting that AWD is going to make it to the US and Canada after about a decade of false rumors, and it looks like a fairly capable system. It could be wicked expensive, though. Go to the "build your own" part of the Sprinter web page, and you'll see that if you add all the goodies you might like, stuff like a nav system and park distance sensors, it's not too hard to have a $55K van as your starting point. No worries if the price difference over 2WD is $5K or so as on a domestic pickup, or maybe even the $12K for a Quigley, et al, conversion.

But what if it's more like $20K? Anyone gonna pop for a $75,000 van? (Besides maybe me, perpetual target audience that I am? :sombrero:)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
What the price differential over in Europe for the 4wd option?

Don't the sprinter's in Europe still wear the 15 inch rims and tires? I know on the older sprinters the switch to 16 inch was only done here - not sure about on the newer ones...

I'd look all of this up but am a little busy at the moment...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
What the price differential over in Europe for the 4wd option?
I've got a free minute here . . . ummm . . . looks like a 170" panel van that costs 38,980 British pounds is 45,170 pounds as a 4x4. That's a 6,190 pound increase, which is equivalent today to $10,280. But in the UK and the Euro countries, you'd have a value added tax of 20%, more or less, bringing the total to $12,336. That seems fair dinkum to me, though way more than the $3400 Ford wants to upgrade to 4WD on an F-150.

Don't the sprinter's in Europe still wear the 15 inch rims and tires? I know on the older sprinters the switch to 16 inch was only done here - not sure about on the newer ones.
Looks like new ones come with 235/65-16s as standard equipment (according to the German Mercedes website).

hoser

Explorer
I would imagine the 4WD upgrade cost to be less than that. What is the price of a similarly equipped 170" RWD panel van in the US? Surely, it's not 38,980 British Pounds plus 20%...46,776 BP's or US$77,713.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior