AWD Chevy 1500 Adventure Van

SBaircraft

Observer
I finished the paneling yesterday and I've already noticed a big difference with the insulation. Last night I tried running my Little Buddy heater as usual, but it was getting too hot in the van! I turned it off and found that I was comfortable without it.

Panel1.jpg

Panel2.jpg

SBaircraft

Observer
I installed a Webasto heater over the winter. What a difference! It used to feel like I was... well... huddled by a propane Mr. Buddy heater in a damp, smelly van. Now it feels just like I'm at home.

Installation took several evenings but everything was straight forward. I mounted the heater behind the driver seat and just ahead of the bulkhead; it doesn't take up any of my cargo space. I leveled the floor with epoxy putty, fabricated a simple mounting bracket, then attached everything with high-temp silicone and pop rivets.

I didn't feel like dropping the tank without a lift so I let my local mechanic install the aux fuel tap for $150. Great deal.

I know that people have had a lot of problems with these sooting up so I'm doing the following:

1) I followed the procedure to adjust mine for high altitude.
2) I always run it at least 30 minutes to make sure that it gets good and hot.

It's been flawless so far, but I'm anticipating the need to clean it annually. Apparently, it's pretty easy to do.

28337393_10116313266949154_4414871764774159327_o.jpg
28335934_10116313267019014_5562267248341861358_o.jpg
28336331_10116313267123804_1242739062962278869_o.jpg

Reactions: WVI

SBaircraft

Observer
After adding more systems, I found it necessary to increase the house battery bank to 160Ah. The batteries are mounted to the frame, on the left side of the vehicle. Because they aren't terribly easy to access, I decided to splurge for sealed AGM batteries.
1.jpg

dleeallen

Adventurer
What did you use for the second battery Mount? I'm also curious where you brought power into the van. Was it at the firewall or somewhere else? I want to add a second battery to mine and looking for options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBaircraft

Observer
What did you use for the second battery Mount? I'm also curious where you brought power into the van. Was it at the firewall or somewhere else? I want to add a second battery to mine and looking for options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you only need to add one battery, GM makes an aux battery tray (https://www.ebay.com/p/GM-Oem-battery-Tray-15017904-03-to-05-Express-and-Savanna-Vans/658093464) for the diesel version of these vans. All of the frames, even the gas-powered ones, are pre-drilled for it. You'll just need to install 4 rivnuts and then bolt it on. That's what I did originally. However, I eventually needed more capacity after adding a fridge and heater.

I'm now using these mounts from Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-430023

I picked up these batteries locally from Bateries +: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli24magmdc

The battery mounts are installed with 3/8" rivnuts and I used this rivenut tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XG2X146/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tool sucks, but it got the job done. It immediately develop some burs and I had to add a couple washers and lube under the head.

My fuse box is mounted on a steel bulkhead, directly over the batteries. I brought the battery cables straight up through the floor. I drilled two holes and installed strain reliefs, kind of like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1...-Strain-Relief-Cord-Connector-27693/202077093

An additional set of 4AWG wires runs to the engine compartment and connects to a solid state battery isolator. These cables are run entirely underneath the van.

SBaircraft

Observer
It's time to do something about internet! The more that I can work from my vehicle, the more time that I can spend near my favorite climbing/diving/paragliding spots.

1) Cellular Data

I'm currently locked into Sprint and the coverage sucks... but I'm going to try the WeBoost Drive 4G-X with 50dB OTR truck antenna. WeBoost recommends the little 4" antenna for vehicles this size. Why don't they recommend a larger antenna with higher gain? Because there will be more feedback, forcing the booster to reduce power.

Here's how I plan to get more benefit out of the larger antenna:

A) I'm increasing the distance between the two antennas as much as possible. There's only so much that I can do on a small vehicle, but an antenna mast will add some vertical separation.

B) I'm going to maximize shielding between the two antennas. I'll put the internal antenna underneath a steel shelf and apply some RF shielding above it. A possible tradeoff is that I won't have great signal throughout my entire van; I'll need to keep my phone closer to the antenna. This works for me because I mostly put my phone down and tether it to my laptop.

2) Wifi

I ordered an Alfa Camp Pro 2. The price was very reasonable and the reviews were generally favorable. When I'm in cities, I should be able to work on Xfinity wifi for $7.95 per day.

If everything arrives in time, I'll be able to do a temporary install and try it out on my next paragliding trip. It will be nice to move things around and thoroughly test it before cleaning up the installation.

Etzu

Folding Bed/Couch

I'm not very tall (5'9") and I originally planned to sleep crosswise. However, I found this awesome bed and completely changed my interior layout. It mostly gets used as a couch while eating, working or hanging out. At night, it comfortably sleeps two. It even folds out of the way to make room for motorcycles and cargo.

The stock bed is 79 inches long which was a little too long for my needs. I called the manufacturer, near LA, and they agreed to make me a shorter bed for no additional cost! After test fitting the bed, I mounted it to a simple oak rail.
I've always loved that design and it's nice to know that they'll shorten the bed for you. I was wanting a shorter bed like that for my original build, which was in a Ford Transit Connect while still being able to toss a small motorbike inside of.

Is it comfortable? How's the gap? Do those little legs feel solid for you?

SBaircraft

Observer
I've always loved that design and it's nice to know that they'll shorten the bed for you. I was wanting a shorter bed like that for my original build, which was in a Ford Transit Connect while still being able to toss a small motorbike inside of.

Is it comfortable? How's the gap? Do those little legs feel solid for you?

Comfort: It's very comfortable as a couch and long enough to seat 4. I often have people over for dinner and a movie! As a bed, it's on the soft side but still reasonably comfortable. It's certainly not as comfortable as my home mattress, but I've always slept well.

Size: It's enough room for my girlfriend and I to be comfortable, without bumping. Then again, we're not very big people and we're used to sharing a snow trench or tiny backpacking tent.

Gap: The gap is very small but you can sometimes feel the frame a little bit if you roll over it or sleep on your side in exactly the wrong spot. It's not a problem when I sleep alone because I stick to the other side. When I'm with my girlfriend, I do sometimes notice the gap but it has honestly never bothered me.

Legs: The legs are my only complaint. They're attached to the bed frame with brackets and sheet metal screws. They do feel a little flimsy and I sometimes have to snug up the sheet metal screws. I worry that I might someday strip a screw but I suppose I can easily replace it with a rivnut and machine screw.

Utility: I couldn't imagine not having a bed, couch and cargo space. My climbing friends have a fixed bed in their vehicle and they always end up hanging out in my van because they have no place to sit!

SBaircraft

Observer
I temporarily installed the Camp Pro 2 wifi repeater. I ordered a marine antenna mount and I had planned to make a mounting bracket so that I could attach it to my ARB awning frame. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mounting holes lined up with the slots on the awning frame! Couldn't have been easier.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 73

SBaircraft

Observer
I finished permanently wiring the Camp Pro 2 and installed switches for the awning light and WeBoost (about to be installed).

4.jpg

SBaircraft

Observer
There's plenty of room for two pallets or dirt bikes. The bed folds up against the wall and the fridge/freezer slides through the bulkhead door and fits nicely between the front seats.
6.jpg

SBaircraft

Observer
I made some rear window screens for improved ventilation... without bugs! I trimmed the frames from 0.040" aluminum and attached the screen material with carpet tape. The screens are clipped to the rubber window molding with plastic clips that I made from scrap J-stock extrusion. I still need to seal around the arms, but I figure I can do that with brush seals.

Of course, I also have steel screens to keep out the humans!

1.jpg
2.jpg

SBaircraft

Observer
Update on the Camp Pro Wifi Repeater:

The first unit was defective. The router frequently lost connection with the modem and kept me very frustrated! The vendor rushed me out a free replacement and this one is working fine so far. I'm currently working in my van and my laptop sees ZERO networks without the wifi repeater. With the Camp Pro turned on, I can see 9 networks. Fortunately, one of them is fast and free!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles