AWD 1500 Dead ?

86cj

Explorer
No more 1/2 ton's, GM is ending production very soon according to article I found:..http://www.arifleet.com/publications/fleet_wire/january_17_2014/
NEW! GM PROVIDES PRELIMINARY PRODUCT PLANS FOR EXPRESS/SAVANA 1500

General Motors has verbally notified ARI of preliminary product plans and final ordering information for 2014 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana 1500 (half-ton) vans. All half-ton model configurations will be discontinued at the close of the 2014 model year.

While a final order due date has not yet been established, GM anticipates a March 2014 ordering deadline and a June 2014 final production date. GM strongly recommends placing orders as soon as possible to claim allocation and to help ensure production prior to the June build-out.

In addition, 2014 is the final year for the (E26) Swing-Out Driver-Side Door option on Express and Savana Cargo Van. While the ordering deadline for this option was January 9, 2014, GM continues to accept orders on a “will-try” basis.

If you have any questions or need assistance with selectors, please contact your ARI representative.

JimQPublic

That sucks. Those were the two reasons I have been seriously considering a GM van. Unfortunately there are very few used AWD versions in California- but my budget will probably be best served with a 5 year old van so I guess the cancellation won't affect my purchasing ability.

Since automakers are rather lemming-like, hopefully the selectable AWD Sprinter coming out late next year will drive others to offer similar options.

In researching the AWD GM models, I did see one recall notice from a few years ago that applied to only 150 vans. That implies incredibly low production.

Jim

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Sad news.
I had fully planned to on wearing out my current awd and buying another.
I really feel these run under the radar and if more people knew about them they would sell like crazy.

Accrete

Explorer
I agree with the popularity issue linked to the _under the radar_ perception. They are such well rounded rigs for casual overlanders willing to build light.

And just sayin'...our rig will most likely be one of those _5 year old_ up-for-sale situations. Cari & I will be doing something different around my ~60th b-day since our needs will have changed by then in how we look at venturing out/off road.

:) Thom

Wallygator

Adventurer
I agree with the popularity issue linked to the _under the radar_ perception. They are such well rounded rigs for casual overlanders willing to build light.

And just sayin'...our rig will most likely be one of those _5 year old_ up-for-sale situations. Cari & I will be doing something different around my ~60th b-day since our needs will have changed by then in how we look at venturing out/off road.

:) Thom

I have been following your story. You have a lot of experience with vans and always have good reasons for doing the modifications and things to your vehicle of choice. I read why you chose the van you did this time. You seem to be very happy with it. I don't have one yet and am just researching and reading because it's so hard to decide what is the best rig for my family. So can you please tell me what your plans are for your next rig? Very interested in your thoughts and knowledge. Thanks.

Accrete

Explorer
I have been following your story. . .can you please tell me what your plans are for your next rig? Very interested in your thoughts and knowledge. Thanks.

Still all up in the air. Basically i know that at some point my wife and i will be happy with shifting to more traveled routes once we hit ~65ish (i'm 56 now). So we would have a purpose built rig and most likely sell both the current van and our small 15ft fiberglass trailer and stuff all the works into the biggest van we could find :) since it would no longer have to double as a daily driver. The Chevy AWD on its regular (short) wheelbase is a great rig for everyday driving. It will be unfortunate if there isn't a replacement for it at some point.

86cj

Explorer
The AWD 1500 Van will be dismissed by most people looking for a back country camping vehicle, that's due to it's limited offroad potential when lifted 2 1/2" - 3" and fitted with 265's. While true, I have observed something after many years of National and State forest camping around the USA. If it's legal to drive down it probably get's patrolled by a ranger in a stock pick-up with 265's...:). (If he or she can't make it they usually close the gate).:mad:..
Sure there are trails with "names" the AWD 1500 has no business going down but I have been surprised how many remote and breathtaking places we have been that offered little challenge. If you are tired of tent camping and "Still Pack Light" the AWD 1500 makes a nice bed well off the beaten path.
The 3:73 gear helps on the trail and is hard to find on the lot, order up soon.............

Last edited:

Pest

Adventurer
This is why we just bought a 2014 AWD Express. Back in March, the dealer said they are ending production of AWD, and the 2WD Express will be available for fleet sales only.

We wanted to order one, but the dealer said production for the AWD had ended only a couple weeks prior and only 2WD vans can be ordered now. They had one on the lot that had all but 2 or 3 options we wanted, so we snapped it up.

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like there were two justifications:

1. As a light truck (under 8500 lb GVWR), the 1500 counted against GM's federally mandated corporate mpg goal for cars. No bueno. The 2500 series van is in the heavy truck class, where it actually helps improve the collective truck mpg rating.

As a partial substitute for the 1500, GM will sell the Nissan NV200, re-badged as the Chevrolet City Express. It sports an EPA combined rating of 24 mpg, way better than the 16 mpg rating the Express 1500 van had.

2. GM needed to convert the plant that makes the 1500 over to building the new Colorado midsize pickup.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I bought a 2014 AWD cargo this year to replace my syncro. Now I can give the same answer to the question I'm sure I'll still be asked once a week.

"They made those in 4wd?"

And I can still say

"They didn't make very many, they're hard to find and they don't make them anymore"

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I bought a 2014 AWD cargo this year to replace my syncro. Now I can give the same answer to the question I'm sure I'll still be asked once a week.

"They made those in 4wd?"

And I can still say

"They didn't make very many, they're hard to find and they don't make them anymore"

HAHAHA. We had a syncro and just picked one of these up too. Although we had about a 8-year gap between the 2 vans.

Your comment is a crack up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94