Away We Winnebago

ssichler

Adventurer
Finally left Moab and ended up at Goosenecks State Park.

IMG_4181 by ssichler, on Flickr

More great nights for Milky Way shots. Standing at the edge of a cliff in darkness squinting through a view finder is interesting.

IMG_4198 by ssichler, on Flickr

We did a Jeep trip through nearby Valley of the Gods and marked some gps points for camping next year.

IMG_4204 by ssichler, on Flickr

Valley of the Gods was pretty amazing and even better than Monument Valley without the crowds and trash.

ssichler

Adventurer
From Sedona we made a fairly short drive back up to Lake Powell across the border in Utah. I had wanted to get back here and explore more of the slot canyons. Lone Rock makes a great base camp and the full moon views of the lake were pretty awesome.

IMG_4286 by ssichler, on Flickr

IMG_4316 by ssichler, on Flickr

The first canyon I hiked was the longest and deepest in the Southwest with the bonus of being named one of the top ten deadliest hikes by Backpacker magazine - Buckskin Gulch. Fortunately the weather was almost perfect with no rain.

DSC03624 by ssichler, on Flickr

Water Hole Canyon is close to Page, AZ and on the Navajo Reservation. Not as big and scary as Buckskin Gulch but I enjoyed exploring with my wife.

IMG_4366 by ssichler, on Flickr

We also did a very long Jeep trip up from Lake Powell to town of Escalante. This Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is an area I would definitely like to see more of.

IMG_4322 by ssichler, on Flickr

CSG

Explorer
Terrific posts and blog. My wife and I, when we were about your ages, did something similar in 1992 - we sold off most of our stuff and stored the rest and headed out for an unknown period of time in our Lance camper and truck. The Lance didn't have the amenities of the new ones and our truck was a 4x2 but we ended up doing 16k miles over six months all over the west and BC and Alberta. It was a great adventure but I envy the luxe way you guy are traveling.

Since the camper, we had kids and traveled in the Lance until they started growing and we ended up with two fifth wheels, one of which we still have. I never liked towing them, however, and when we got back from our last great adventure in 2007 with our then young kids, I parked the thing and bought a camping van. I'm retired now but my wife is three years away and I wonder what the next rig will be. Like you guys, we like boondocking, not campgrounds. I would have never thought of a class A as an adventure rig but you're proving us all wrong!

CSG

Explorer
I saw that link from you earlier in the thread. We've spent our RV *career* just winging it as to campsites but modern technology has certainly made life on the road easier!

ssichler

Adventurer
The Bago is back in Baja. Enjoying almost two months of sun and fun. The roads haven't always been great...

IMG_4535 by ssichler, on Flickr

But with views like this...

IMG_4583 by ssichler, on Flickr

The Jeep has been great for exploring.

IMG_4671-2 by ssichler, on Flickr

From dry lake beds to waterfalls.

DSC03901-2 by ssichler, on Flickr

DSC03907-2 by ssichler, on Flickr

We survived Easter week (Semana Santa) and got to watch the San Felipe 250 off-road race again.

ssichler

Adventurer
We are back in the US after two months in Baja. Hopefully, we will make it further down next year. Here's what Highway 1 and 5 look like -

Some off-road fun in dry lake bed -

For our last stop in Baja we headed to the beautiful Valle de Guadalupe from San Felipe. Highway 3 was a little rough in the desert but looked like the bigger potholes were patched. Once we got closer to Ensenada the last part was pretty twisty with cars passing you on blind corners and trucks getting pretty close on the narrow part. Ensenada was busy and tight. We finally made it to the RV Park at Rancho Sordo Mundo. A very nice spot.

The Encuentro Guadalupe hotel across the street gets $400 for a room.

The vineyard behind the park.

Luke, whose parents founded the ranch, came by to collect a donation and gave us a ton of info on places to go. Our first stop the next day was Vinos Fuentes with a free tasting. The next winery was Monte Xanic which was a beautiful winery with very nice wines and great views.

Our last stop was the stunning Las Nubes. Really good wines and we received a great explanation of the tasting in English. After the tasting, we ordered a couple of glasses and cheese plate to enjoy on the deck.

The next day we got back on Highway 3 and crossed through Tecate. No wait at the border but did get inspected and they confiscated some things from RV fridge.

ssichler

Adventurer
We set up base camp in Lone Pine, California at Tuttle Creek.

The views here are pretty epic.

There's so much to do in the area and to think we used to just zoom by on our way up to Mammoth Lakes when we lived in LA. Embraced the suck and hiked up from Whitney Portal to over 10k feet.

Mountain biking in the Alabama Hills.

DSC04068 by ssichler, on Flickr

Drive up to Horseshoe Meadows.

Tuttle Creek Ashram.

You can see why they film so many car commercials in this area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste