Average life of a Tacoma V6

Doug18

I want something that is relatively cheap but something that I can take on long road trips (350 miles+) without having to worry about it breaking on me ... sorry if this is one of those cliche noob questions but I figured you guys on here would be the ones to ask thank you for your input :thumbsup:

Applejack

Explorer
If they are well taken care of they could conceivably go 350K+ miles.
But I'd guess the average is probably in the 250k ball park.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I've seen several over 300k miles and my own has 203k miles on it. If you are on top of your maintenance then it will be a great motor for you.

87FoRunner

Adventurer
I would say after the 200k mark to look for a different truck because you would only enjoy that truck for another 100-150k without a planned rebuild. :victory:

275-300K is my limit on purchasing a well maintained used 3.4 truck. :ylsmoke:

For some vehicles the higher mileage doesn't scare me, more of the thought that some person could afford to drive that vehicle that many miles without enough problems.

Toyotero

Explorer
From what I've seen from Taco owners on the Toyota boards, the engine is rivaling the 20R/22R/22RE for longevity and reliability... and beating it in power and complexity of water pump change.

Edit: thus waterpump should be changed as part of preventative maintenance... no biggie.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Mine is getting close to 200K and it's just getting broken in. I wouldn't hesitate taking it on a long road trip tomorrow. It runs great and always has. My take, if you find a clean one that has been well cared for then you should have nothing to worry about.

Explorer
I used to thing my tacoma would go 300k+ without any issues also. I had it for ten years without a glitch - then all hell broke loose, and my hopes were shattered.... The passenger side running light burned out. I haven't replaced it yet because I'm waiting for a government mandated recall to address this major safety hazard. :elkgrin:

Seriously though, that is the only failure my truck has had in 11 years of abuse!

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I had it for ten years without a glitch - then all hell broke loose, and my hopes were shattered.... The passenger side running light burned out. I haven't replaced it yet because I'm waiting for a government mandated recall to address this major safety hazard. :elkgrin:

LOL, Thanks for the laugh. Today has been a boring thankless daily grind and you just made me smile!!

I have a 2000 V6 5 speed stick with 256,000 miles I have owned it since new. At every 100,000 I had the water pump and timing belt replaced, new plugs every 50,000 miles and still running the factory clutch. The truck has been well taken care of. I have changed some worn out front end parts but thats expected on a truck over 200,000 miles. If the price is below 9,000 I would say look it over well for abuse ever, have a dealer check it out and buy it!

RallyHHRT

I have a 01 Tacoma with 300K on it at home! Original everything. There trucks been beat one pretty bad, from harsh New England winters to towing lawn trailers.

RabidRover

Observer
Rats ....with 57000 miles on my 02 in 9 years without any problems (except my prior rants on the corrosion issue with the frame), my wife isn't going to let me get a new truck for another 30 - 35 years :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier