avalache build anyone

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
HenryJ: Thanks for posting this!
Two questions: Can you explain the roof rack mod? I see in the first pic your Avy did not have the rack. Is this a bolt on? Are the holes already in the roof to attach the rack or did you have to drill? If you had to drill, any leaking issues? Reason I ask is that my next vehicle must have the ability to haul 2 10 ft kayaks.
Second question, do you have a link for that awesome front bumper?
Thanks in advance! :ylsmoke:

justcuz

Explorer
My buddy has an Explorer Sport and he is thinking of upgrading to a larger vehicle. We were just talking about an Avalanche this morning. He is not a big upgrader but he lives in Prescott, Az. and I mentioned a couple easy upgrades he could do that would allow him to explore locally.
Hummer H2 rear springs are good for a couple of inches of lift.
Ford torsion keys to re index the front bars.
Bigger tires on stock wheels.
This would keep it simple and still be able to explore his local northwestern Arizona forest roads and the Sedona area.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
HenryJ: Thanks for posting this!
Two questions: Can you explain the roof rack mod? I see in the first pic your Avy did not have the rack. Is this a bolt on? Are the holes already in the roof to attach the rack or did you have to drill? If you had to drill, any leaking issues? Reason I ask is that my next vehicle must have the ability to haul 2 10 ft kayaks.
Second question, do you have a link for that awesome front bumper?
Thanks in advance! :ylsmoke:
It did require drilling. The roof rack is a Suburban rack purchased from the salvage yard. I cut the rail length down to fit the Avalanche. Installed using Nutserts or wellnuts and foam adhesive tape. That is how the factory rack was installed. Works great. I have done several like this with no problems.
The bumper is a Ranch Hand BTC03HBCR purchased from Amazon (out of stock). Super value. Made in america. Built simple and stout. I did some research on the RanchHand bumpers and liked what I found. I would recommend them. I tried to get one locally from a builder, but that did not go far. Everything seems to be for the 3/4 T or bigger trucks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... I mentioned a couple easy upgrades he could do that would allow him to explore locally.
Hummer H2 rear springs are good for a couple of inches of lift.
Ford torsion keys to re index the front bars.
Bigger tires on stock wheels.
This would keep it simple and still be able to explore his local northwestern Arizona forest roads and the Sedona area.
Sounds pretty similar to what I did to mine :)
I like the low center of gravity so I try to maximize the tire size for clearance with minimal lift. I did the F150 keys and 1" rear blocks. I like the spring rate on the rear for daily driving. When I need a little more I air up the bags in the rear springs. Helps to level out the load when pulling the trailer.
Very pleased with the Avalanche. Nice to have that 8' bed now and then, along with the cabin space to haul people comfortably. Wheelbase is manageable offroad.
I think it is a keeper :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I dont know, but, I like the idea of 4doors, and the ability to have an 8ft bed, without a vehicle the size of a bus....

Chase

4-1/2 years late with this response, but Avalanches are within 1" of the overall length of a Suburban.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
HenryJ: As far as rack storage goes, would it be possible to rig up some kind of rack that would sit on top of the panels that cover the bed? Obviously I'm not talking about a place to put heavy stuff but to put things you might want outside, light but bukly items. I'm sure someone has done it. the trick would be to make sure you could still gain access to the bed. Doesn't the bed cover come in 3 panels? So if you attached a carrier to the two panels in the front, you could still remove the rear panel, right?
I'm just thinking this would be a way to store stuff "outside" without putting it up on the roof.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Something like this:

backrack.jpg
backrack2.jpg

The rack (bars and mounts) are Thule. I have Yakima bike mounts on them too. I have hauled my spare tire in the basket both places.

IMGP2287.JPG

Usually the basket rides on the panels for the winter and up top in the summer so that I have a place for the awning. Plus I remove the panels to haul motorcycles.

Pretty adaptable.

lunchwagon

HenryJ's Thule rack is a good solution.

I'm currently working on a slightly different rack setup for my Avalanche that will allow the rack to be used whether the bed panels are on or off. The pics below aren't mine, I grabbed them from another forum, but my design will be similar and will use some Yakima parts.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
^^^^^ Yes, exactly what I was thinking. If it could be mounted in such a way that the panels could be removed without removing the rack (I don't know if that's possible) then even better.
Do the panels slide backward or do they lift straight up to remove?

lunchwagon

Yeah, it's possible. The panels can be removed by sliding them straight back. The panels have to lock/unlock in order though, so the rearmost panel has to be removed before the middle panel and the middle before the forward panel. It's an easy system though and only takes a minute or 2 to install/remove all 3 panels.

justcuz

Explorer
Sounds pretty similar to what I did to mine :)
I like the low center of gravity so I try to maximize the tire size for clearance with minimal lift. I did the F150 keys and 1" rear blocks. I like the spring rate on the rear for daily driving. When I need a little more I air up the bags in the rear springs. Helps to level out the load when pulling the trailer.
Very pleased with the Avalanche. Nice to have that 8' bed now and then, along with the cabin space to haul people comfortably. Wheelbase is manageable offroad.
I think it is a keeper :)

Yes I agree.
GM had next to no competition with this vehicle, but the unexpected popularity of crew cab pickups is what pretty much dealt the death blow to the Avalanche. It is a versitile platform that, in my opinion, offers more than a crew cab short bed pickup truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94