Avahoe = Avalanche + Tahoe

Avahoe

Diesel heater install: part 2

First part of the diesel heater write up was about the heater itself and installation, this second part is primarily about the controller and vent routing.

bVu4DDN.jpg

Heater is installed in the rear drivers side bread box. Two vents are used: rear one at the back of the wheel well cover and a forward facing one to the right of the cup holder. Controller is mounted on the B-pillar. I used generic sunshades cut out to the shape of the rear windows for minimal insulation as well as privacy black outs.

T536Jvz.jpg

Rear vent swivels and can direct air towards the back, into the sleeping area or towards the rear drivers side window.

Str7AHd.jpg

Forward facing vent was originally supposed to be used as a ski boot heater but those plans changed and is now a second hot air vent.

DQ0yb5R.jpg

This is the controller that I went with for the heater. It came with it. I chose this particular controller because the description said that it's the newer revised version where you can adjust the altitude, later on that.

bBP8xnV.jpg

The heater can be controlled automatically to heat to predetermined temperature or at a predetermined cycle rate of the fuel pump. I chose the fuel pump cycle rate. 1.7Hz or 1.7 pumps per second. 0.04ml per pump or 245ml per hour before altitude adjustment.

HblDo1u.jpg

At the rate above the temperature in the Avahoe stays at 20C or 68F, with outside temperature between 0F and -10F. 68Fis usually way too hot for me to sleep comfortably in and I end up turning it down to 1.4Hz. Controller adjusts fan speed automatically.

qEdxg5z.jpg

Auxiliary battery hovers around 13.2V and 13.3V when the heater is running and 13.8V when it's fully charged. Not sure how many amps it draws but after 12 hours of running the battery is still at 13.2V. I use a 50ah LiFePO4 battery, charged by Avahoe's alternator and connected to the truck through an isolator.

S9IIlBR.jpg

Finally, the main reason why I went with the second generation blue controller is because it was advertised that you can manually adjust the altitude and as you manually adjust the altitude the controller adjusts the pump cycle rate and fan speed for optimal diesel burn. LIES, ALL LIES. This controller actually has a built in altimeter and it adjusts everything automatically!!! This was a pleasant surprise which makes this heater so much easier to use.

I am extremely happy with the heater and would highly recommend it to anyone that does any cold weather car camping and wants cheap, safe and reliable heat source. After 20+ nights of the heater running I am still on the first 3 gallon tank of fuel and there is at least 1/4 tank left.

Martinjmpr,

That looks really cool, I have seen a few pictures of GMT800 Suburbans and Tahoes with the cateye front end.

206402-2cfd4095458567edfaa0ccee038a0957.jpg

QnsULtH.jpg

That looks really sweet, however for some reason I really like the look of the Avalanche front end which is a slightly different cateye than the Silverados.

2002_chevrolet_avalanche_crew-cab-pickup_1500_fq_oem_3_500.jpg

There is just something about that cheap Aztek looking plastic that draws me to it. It might have something to do with the fact that the Avalanche bumper does not sag like the the cateye Silverados. Not sure about the cladding on the doors, that's a little too much.
From 2003-2004.5, the 2500HD Silverados also had the front end pictured above. From 2005-2006 the hood and front grille were slightly different, with the hood being taller. You could also get that on the 2007 Classic HD model too. I prefer the 2500HD set up, which is what my truck has. :)

Avahoe

Another ski adventure: Wasatch Mountains

Tuck is dialed in pretty good with the sleeping and staying warm accommodations. Time to explore another area. It is pretty convenient to be in a "stealth" camper.

P85ZkIh.jpg

This is the view looking down Big Cottonwood canyon that I woke up to one morning.

VY8FXyj.jpg

Every time I see my little creation it makes me smile because it works, and I can travel and explore as I please.

X0un3En.jpg

Views of the Wasatch Mountains never ever get old, and it helps that it really is the best snow on earth.

WbdUGIH.jpg

Peruvian lift at Snowbird was not working the day I was there so it took some exploring to find the Peruvian tunnel.

DkLAK59.jpg

3 minute magic carpet ride through an exhibit that highlights the history of the mining and logging companies in Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons and how the early back-country ski exploration led to the creation of ski resorts in the area.

6n3eCCK.jpg

Peruvian Tunnel donkey, definitely my favorite exhibit in the tunnel.

Avahoe

Diesel heater exhaust

I routed the heater exhaust with a 4 foot long extension and a second muffler. Both to keep the noise down and for better routing of exhaust gas.

hUIjalx.jpg

Heater exhaust conveniently sits right above the truck exhaust pipe and water, exhaust byproduct, drips onto the truck exhaust pipe leaving some pretty stalactites in the morning.

smInjNL.jpg

Wyoming does not mess around with signs, here are the animals expected to encounter on the road.

v93ALpb.jpg

Pretty mountains that are begging to be skied again.

Avahoe

CB Radio

There are many options on how and where to mount a CB radio however I was looking for the cleanest and stealthiest application, I want it to be up front and center but completely out of sight and out of the way yet still be able to hear it without a wired speaker.

O656wpL.jpg

President Bill is the smallest CB I could find and it fits perfectly in the front overhead control console right below the rear climate controls.

BFO3sld.jpg

I did have to cut a hole out for the speaker. Now the CB is within easy reach, completely out of the way and out of sight.

4cF005m.jpg

Camping at the end of a BLM dirt road somewhere in Utah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles