Auxiliary power for Engel MD-14F for a Toyota...Camry

Hoss86

Observer
I know this isn't for an expedition vehicle, but during they week I pretend it's a Land Rover Defender:sombrero:. I'm a traveling business man and log 300 miles a week. I have an Engel MD-14F that fits perfect in the trunk. I'm using this to carry prepared healthy meals instead of eating fast food. I have a 2012 Camry and the 12 volt cigarette lighter shuts off when the vehicle does. I need help deciding cost effective options to be able to run it. I went to a local audio installer and they quoted me $900 to have an auxiliary battery in the trunk. I only need the battery to run for 3 hours max since my appointments usually run that long. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Model: MD14F
Volume: 15 Qt
Power consumption: Variable from 0.87- 3.15 Amps (12V DC)

Rot Box

Explorer
I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you'd be just fine using the single battery for that duration. If you have the option (not sure on the Engel) I would plug your fridge into 120v an hour or so before you leave to get it nice and cold then switch to DC for your trip.

While you can easily convert the DC outlets to be 'always on' I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so because of the wire size--it is very small on late model vehicles.. I would run 12-14 gauge wire from the battery (with a fuse) to the DC outlet you will be using. Be sure to ground it with the same size wire.

Does the Engel have a low voltage shutoff?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Your single battery will be fine for 3 hours, even though a trunk can be hot at times. You will need to run decently heavy gauge wire from the battery, Engels need good juice.

Does the Engel have a low voltage shutoff?
No.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Your single battery will be fine for 3 hours, even though a trunk can be hot at times. You will need to run decently heavy gauge wire from the battery, Engels need good juice.

No.

+1 on that, Engel's need good juice so don't skimp on wire gauge (and fuse appropriately of course)

$900 for a second battery is crazy talk. I'm not saying that they were trying to rip you off - that may be the right cost for what they quoted, but a $900 system is way over designed for what you are trying to do.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
3 hours is nothing for a single battery to run a small freezer/fridge, some of us go overnight without issue on a single battery. Best option is to run 8-10 gauge wire straight from the battery to the trunk with an inline fuse and an outlet to plug into, should be able to do it for under $30 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles