Auxiliary lighting and maintaining battery power

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Hey guys, I'm extremely new to electrical work and a complete novice when it comes to wiring things correctly. I recently purchased a leer topper for my frontier which came with an interior light and switch. I have yet to wire it up, but I would like to include some LED light ribbon along with the original light. I would like them to all be wired together so they are all on or off together. I'm assuming I need to wire this to a constant power source so these can be used at anytime. My concern is slowly draining the battery from not wiring it correctly or while using the light and not running the car. I know LED's consume very little power, but my biggest fear is having a dead battery on top of a mountain (happened to me when I was little with my dad and was quite the ordeal). So I'm looking for some knowledge from you guys. How do I wire things right? Any insight, knowledge, or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Skrunner

Spend a little time reading about dual battery setups and get some clear wiring diagrams if that's the route you decide to go. But, truthfully, I wouldn't worry about killing my battery with LED ribbon lights, unless you intend on leaving them on for a very lengthy time.

rayra

Expedition Leader
For starters go to our 12v power subforum and read some of the topics that cover circuit design and layout, to get familiar with terminology, components and wiring concerns.
Just need to learn the basic elements and make sure you properly route your wiring to prevent chafing, pinching, abrasion, and cover all your wire connections to prevent shorting or power leakage.
A few basic steps and it is easy to do properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz