auxiliary fuel tanks....

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
We are in Stockton, California - Central Valley East of SF Bay Area.

Yes, we see minor differences between years as to mounting points/brackets. 2018 DCSB moved things around a bit, requiring small adapter plates.

We agree that the kit will likely fit with some mods, just haven't tried it yet due to access to a 2005+ Access Cab Long Box. We have also not confirmed that manual trans installs are possible.

If you and/or your shop are comfortable doing some research/development during the install we can certainly offer a "Guinea Pig Discount" - shoot me a PM to discuss.

Ward

Pm sent and conversation underway. Thanks Ward.

I’ve been interested in the long range replacement tanks for several years. They are a great option for those of us who tow a small trailer/camper as the options for installing either Jerry cans or rotopax typically conflict with hitch platforms and often prevent convenient roof access too. Large replacement tanks that don’t hang down or interfere with drivetrain or exhaust components put the fuel where it belongs in my opinion......low and amid ship. The single tank is great and less complicated than a transfer tank too. Based on my mpg I’m looking at doubling the range per fill up. No spills, nothing to worry about carrying, nothing to be stolen. It’s a great option. Maybe I’m just used to having a convenient way to add range ....coming from Diesel engines with 32 gallon manufacturers tanks plus 120 gallon custom steel bed tanks with a high speed transfer pump.....but for me, this is a much better solution when compared to multiple heavy cans and the systems to carry them under load, off road.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Ironically, I had a gas can swell and leak in the back of my truck today. This was a little cheap 1.25 gallon I have for mixing with 2-stroke oil for my trimmer. Now the back of my truck is airing out from lung irritating smell of gasoline tonight. Yup, swing-out or aux tanks would be nice.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Did I read that this is only for automatic transmission tacomas? Does it fit manuals?
We THINK the manuals will work OK, just have not confirmed it yet with a documented install.

There are definitely issues with clearance on the FJ Cruiser tank and manual w/clutch linkage.

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
You don't have to fill the tank to the full 34 gallons. If you want to keep basically the same weight as stock just put 19 gallons in when you fill it. The tank itself isn't that much more weight than a stock one plus a skid plate.

One advantage to the large tank is all the weight is about as low as you can place it so there's a center of mass improvement and it's located between the axles, so it's much better compared to it being on a roof or hanging off the back.

This is what the back of my truck looks like ideally. The WilderNest isn't currently installed, though. I prefer to put the gas outside rather than trip over it and smell it.

View attachment 448747[
True, Dave.... Plus, we include branded apparel.....

1526759060307.png

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Plans for the future? ? ;)
No current plans, but yours is the first request from a First Gen Tundra owner. We develop new kits to meet demand. For example, we heard about issues that 200 Series LC owners had fitting Australian-spec kits to US vehicles - error codes, CELs, etc. - so we did a survey on IH8MUD, got 100+ indications of interest and developed a smog compliant kit for the 200s that works. We are now selling them. Same thing for GX 470/4G 4Runners - first tank shipping next week. Next up, aux tank for 100 Series LC.

We have not had any interest from First Gen Tundra owners, which is kind of weird, since they represent over 10% of offroad Toyotas sold here in the last 20 years.

If enough owners ask, we can make a business case to Long Range Automotive to develop a kit for our market. Not cheap, quick or easy. We would need a test truck in Northern California.

The question is, how many early Tundra owners will be willing to spend up for more safe fuel storage on board?

1526826321144.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles