auxiliary fuel tanks....

FNGfromLA

I see most folks with Jerry cans and such for extra fuel. Are many viable options for larger capacity and auxiliary gas tanks for the Tacoma? I am looking into getting a 2016 and am planning what needs to be done with the truck to make it fit my needs. I don't see myself daily driving with 4 Jerry cans, but I can see having an extra or even a larger than stock main tank.

robert

Expedition Leader
I don't know if it'll fit the '16s but there is at least one company making a larger tank for the Tacomas (there's a thread on building it on this forum somewhere). Problem is they are very expensive. It's far cheaper to put a spare can or two in the back when you need it and take it (and the weight) out when you don't.

ETA Long Range Automotive out of Australia makes them (don't know if the '16 is the same as the '15): https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Toyota-Tacoma-129L-Replacement~341#3917b49e-37dd-460b-b568-ff51c4d575f7 There are some threads about them on various forums includin this one: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/94727-Outback-Proven-long-range-fuel-tank-for-tacoma?highlight=fuel+tank

Several people have mounted various tank in the spare tire location and you can chop the exaust and mount a passenger side tank from and earlier Toyota truck (pre- Tacomas) so that's always options.

Last edited:

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
I don't know if it'll fit the '16s but there is at least one company making a larger tank for the Tacomas (there's a thread on building it on this forum somewhere). Problem is they are very expensive. It's far cheaper to put a spare can or two in the back when you need it and take it (and the weight) out when you don't.

ETA Long Range Automotive out of Australia makes them (don't know if the '16 is the same as the '15): https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/...ment~341#3917b49e-37dd-460b-b568-ff51c4d575f7 There are some threads about them on various forums includin this one: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ange-fuel-tank-for-tacoma?highlight=fuel+tank

Several people have mounted various tank in the spare tire location and you can chop the exaust and mount a passenger side tank from and earlier Toyota truck (pre- Tacomas) so that's always options.
My firm is North American importer/distributor for Long Range Automotive and their line of replacement main and auxiliary fuel tanks. We fit most offroad Toyotas, Land Rovers and Jeeps. The Tacoma is a 34 gallon replacement that suits dual cab models.

We sell more Tacomas than anything else. All customers are happy. Some folks say they are expensive, some say they are very expensive, some say they are worth every penny. One thing they all say is that it is a great upgrade. Not a "vendor" on ExPo yet so I don't want to promote/sell, just sharing that they are available in USA at $1,495.

Attachments

• Taco 2.jpg
    Taco 2.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Auxiliary tanks are expensive, not just to buy, but also install (unless you're savy enough to DIY). If you really see yourself traveling remotely on a regular basis, I see their merit.

If you only need the longer range every so often, I think throwing a few jerry cans in your bed is the better solution. The beauty of that solution is that you can simply take the jerry cans off your truck when you no longer need them. The whole point of having a pickup is to have storage space. So I would default to that option before going the more expensive route.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
My firm is North American importer/distributor for Long Range Automotive and their line of replacement main and auxiliary fuel tanks. We fit most offroad Toyotas, Land Rovers and Jeeps. The Tacoma is a 46 gallon replacement that suits dual cab models.

We sell more Tacomas than anything else. All customers are happy. Some folks say they are expensive, some say they are very expensive, some say they are worth every penny. One thing they all say is that it is a great upgrade. Not a "vendor" on ExPo yet so I don't want to promote/sell, just sharing that they are available in USA at $1,495.

Ward Harris, can you please share a link to your company and advise as to an extended range tank available in USA for a Gen 2 Tacoma Access cab long bed Off Road model?

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Website is cruiserbrothers.com

Tacoma fact sheet and price list attached. We stock for inventory as best we can keep up with demand and order from Melbourne every two weeks. ETA five weeks from your order.

Gen 2 Tacoma Access Cab MAY take the kit we offer, have not had a chance to test fit one as yet. Where are you located, @Timcampsallover ?

Attachments

• TACOMA INSTRUCTIONS 5-8-18.pdf
    774.8 KB · Views: 12
  • LRA Tank Catalogue 4-26-18.pdf
    719 KB · Views: 9

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
Website is cruiserbrothers.com

Tacoma fact sheet and price list attached. We stock for inventory as best we can keep up with demand and order from Melbourne every two weeks. ETA five weeks from your order.

Gen 2 Tacoma Access Cab MAY take the kit we offer, have not had a chance to test fit one as yet. Where are you located, @Timcampsallover ?
Thank you! I’m in N FL, near Lake City. I will be headed to SW Canada and many places in between this June/July.
Where is Cruiser Brothers?
I’ll check out your pdf’s in the AM.

The Gen2 acess cab long bed has the same frame configuration as the 4 door short beds. I think there’s a bracket or crossmember that’s different but mostly the same ....so I’m hopeful. (y)

I have been looking at these tanks for several years and would be very interested in volunteering for the test fit!

Ward Harris

Terrain Tamer / Harrop
Thank you! I’m in N FL, near Lake City. I will be headed to SW Canada and many places in between this June/July.
Where is Cruiser Brothers?
I’ll check out your pdf’s in the AM.

The Gen2 acess cab long bed has the same frame configuration as the 4 door short beds. I think there’s a bracket or crossmember that’s different but mostly the same ....so I’m hopeful. (y)

I have been looking at these tanks for several years and would be very interested in volunteering for the test fit!
We are in Stockton, California - Central Valley East of SF Bay Area.

Yes, we see minor differences between years as to mounting points/brackets. 2018 DCSB moved things around a bit, requiring small adapter plates.

We agree that the kit will likely fit with some mods, just haven't tried it yet due to access to a 2005+ Access Cab Long Box. We have also not confirmed that manual trans installs are possible.

If you and/or your shop are comfortable doing some research/development during the install we can certainly offer a "Guinea Pig Discount" - shoot me a PM to discuss.

Ward

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@Ward Harris, I have an Access Cab stick shift and would be happy to serve as a test mule if there's an opportunity!
If you only need the longer range every so often, I think throwing a few jerry cans in your bed is the better solution. The beauty of that solution is that you can simply take the jerry cans off your truck when you no longer need them. The whole point of having a pickup is to have storage space. So I would default to that option before going the more expensive route.
Do you sleep in your 4Runner? Your make a fair assessment, replacement long range tanks are expensive, heavy, you usually lose some clearance and may risk it touching a driveshaft or something. Filling 34 gallons will also really hurt at the pump.

But the benefits can outweigh those if you've ever had a jerry can leak. Even normally it's not ideal if you sleep in your vehicle because even if you move them out at night the smell lingers and can permeate clothing, bedding, food. The tank is in my view an alternative to a rear swing-out. I'm leaning that way because it allows you to only carry jerry cans when you need jerry cans, which you rightly point out is usually not often.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I just see a lot more merit in putting jerry cans or even an auxiliary tank in the bed. It's more cost-effective and also more readily removed if you want to lighten your load or free up space for daily driver usage.
You don't have to fill the tank to the full 34 gallons. If you want to keep basically the same weight as stock just put 19 gallons in when you fill it. The tank itself isn't that much more weight than a stock one plus a skid plate.

One advantage to the large tank is all the weight is about as low as you can place it so there's a center of mass improvement and it's located between the axles, so it's much better compared to it being on a roof or hanging off the back.
I'm much more utilitarian when it comes to pickup beds and I realize that some prefer to keep them a bit more tidy than I. If you had a RTT, I don't think the smell would be a big deal, but if you slept in the bed, I could see the issue.
This is what the back of my truck looks like ideally. The WilderNest isn't currently installed, though. I prefer to put the gas outside rather than trip over it and smell it.

snowyrange_5_mid.jpg[

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior