aux lights and daytime running lights

J!m

I’ve noticed that riding with my dad as a kid, there was a lot more curtesy on the road than now.

colodak

Adventurer
In the 80's, Colorado had an unwritten "failure to cover" law regarding off-road lights, that raft of KC's sitting there uncovered, in some jurisdictions, if they were wired up would get you a fix it ticket, if they weren't wired, you'd get a warning, but it was officer discretion.

lilkia

I have mine wired with 2 relays like Lugueto suggested. The first relay is triggered by an additional foglight switch I got at the salvage yard. It then supplys power to the second relay which is triggered by the high beam wire right behind the bulb.
I set it up this way so that when Im driving and switch off my high beams for on coming traffic my spots shut off so I dont have to fumble for a second switch. Plus I can turn off the spots lights off all together using the extra fog light switch.

I actually got pulled over by a state trooper that was coming toward me in the other lane because he was impressed how I shut off my high beams and spots off at the exact same time. He wanted to be able to do the same.

Last edited:

danfromsyr

Adventurer
doesn't take 2 relays to do that, only 1 will suffice.
take the trigger wire from the high beams circuit, (tap out a line) and that trigger goes to a fog light switch and then the relay trigger side

when high beams are on, power comes via the tap to the switch, if switch is on then it continues to the relay, if switch is off then no off road lights.
power from the switch to the relay, through the relay to gnd.
the other hot feed side of the relay comes from a new fused hot wire. and gets connected when the relay triggers to the off road lights.

this will also allow you to 'flash' the lights via the stalk. usually even when the car power is off..
great for illuminating your buddies urinating behind a bar after closing time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles