aux lights and daytime running lights

trae

Adventurer
Good afternoon everyone.
Any tips on how to wire in auxiliary lamps to be used by existing vehicle controls? My initial plan was to wire into the high beams. This makes it legal for road use. Upon further investigation I found out that daytime running lights module does something funky at the headlights terminals and I couldn't find a constant 12v. I then tapped into the highbeams fuse at the fusebox and found out that DRL uses highbeams for it's function. So both of these are no go. Are there any other options I'm missing? Is wiring in a standalone switch my only option?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about DRL's but I wired my light bar into a constant 12v. Instead of running wires through the engine bay, I turn the light bar on/off with a key fob. I can turn the light on from 25ft away and 35ft if I hold the remote to my head.

Sent from my WJ

lugueto

Adventurer
Most aux lights come with wiring that uses a relay, which taps into the high beam circuit so you can only turn your lights when your high beams are on.

This way, when your aux light switch is off then your high beams work as standard. When your switch is on, the aux lights will turn on with the high beams. It shouldn't affect your DRL's

A friend of mine used the factory fog beam switch and circuit on his Hilux to turn on his LED aux lights. Amp draw is less than standard so no danger there. the downside is you need to cut the factory fog light plugs but for most people that shouldn't be an issue I suppose.

trae

Adventurer
Appears your DRLs operate the highbeams at reduced power...
Can you easily connect a relay to the circuit what lights the bluelamp in the instrument cluster ? That one will only energize when highbeams are fully illuminated.

That’s brilliant but tearing the dash apart is scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
Google for a standard relay wiring diagram. Need a trigger circuit (high beam) to relay, fused power from battery to relay, wire from relay to auxiliary light, relay to chassis ground, auxiliary light to chassis ground. All additional lighting or appliances should be wired through relays with fuses protecting the overload or short.

You can use a switch to interrupt the trigger circuit if you don't want the auxiliary lights to come on with the high beams. It gets more complicated if you want them to come on alone and with highs; need diodes and another switch.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Most aux lights come with wiring that uses a relay, which taps into the high beam circuit so you can only turn your lights when your high beams are on.

This way, when your aux light switch is off then your high beams work as standard. When your switch is on, the aux lights will turn on with the high beams. It shouldn't affect your DRL's

A friend of mine used the factory fog beam switch and circuit on his Hilux to turn on his LED aux lights. Amp draw is less than standard so no danger there. the downside is you need to cut the factory fog light plugs but for most people that shouldn't be an issue I suppose.
That's how my lights are set up.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I use my aux switches to arm the coil of a relay that feeds power from the battery to the contacts of another realy. That relays coil is powered by the highbeams. So now I can use my highbeams without my aux lights.

My ditch lights on the hood hinge, are simply on the aux switches.

If you drive around with light bars on all day an night, expect to find your lights chopped up if you visit mid Ohio. People are tired of that blinding newb stuff. I've never blasted anyone, and even I get a few bad looks while at a gas station.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The most recent auxiliary lights that I put in were wired from the high beams to provide power to the auxiliary light control relay in series, for actuation, by an old style floor mounted bright/dim switch under the carpet, near the brake pedal (slight bump under the carpet).
the power runs from an open fuse in the fuse panel to the relay then to the lights.
.... No ugly/amateurish exposed switches, yet easy hands free control... the factory headlight dimmer switch dims everything, the floor switch lets the auxiliary lets run, optionally, in addition to the brights.

I do like the idea; of using a factory fog light switch for auxiliary lights to keep the interior nicer; aftermarket toggle/rocker switch free...

Enjoy!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Which vehicle? Have you checked the factory wiring harness? Are aux lights available from the factory? If so, then that would be a good place to look for wiring ideas.

On my LR3, there is a special terminal for aux lights, a 5 pin. Having the wiring diagram makes a huge difference.

trae

Adventurer
Right. Thats why I mentioned ”easily”.
You might be able to find its circuit somewhere easier to access, but you likely need a schematic to your car. Then with a scematic, you probably find even easier method anyway.

Off hunting for the schematics I go, thanks!

Google for a standard relay wiring diagram. Need a trigger circuit (high beam) to relay, fused power from battery to relay, wire from relay to auxiliary light, relay to chassis ground, auxiliary light to chassis ground. All additional lighting or appliances should be wired through relays with fuses protecting the overload or short.

You can use a switch to interrupt the trigger circuit if you don't want the auxiliary lights to come on with the high beams. It gets more complicated if you want them to come on alone and with highs; need diodes and another switch.

That's the setup I have right now. Unfortunately the trigger for the relay is difficult to find. Nissan is tricky with their DRL wiring.

Which vehicle? Have you checked the factory wiring harness? Are aux lights available from the factory? If so, then that would be a good place to look for wiring ideas.

On my LR3, there is a special terminal for aux lights, a 5 pin. Having the wiring diagram makes a huge difference.

2010 Nissan XTerra. Going to look for a wiring diagram, all I want to do is tap into a 12v constant on highbeams -- that would make it both convenient in legal. I mostly want to avoid adding additional switches if I can help it.

This what I used for turning on my aux light. Cost me $18. My light bar already came with a relay and fuses. Just throwing another option at ya.
3ffadcc9ea51b18ed2d679f5ebaf4c57.jpg

Sent from my WJ

MOguy

Explorer
Good afternoon everyone.
Any tips on how to wire in auxiliary lamps to be used by existing vehicle controls? My initial plan was to wire into the high beams. This makes it legal for road use. Upon further investigation I found out that daytime running lights module does something funky at the headlights terminals and I couldn't find a constant 12v. I then tapped into the highbeams fuse at the fusebox and found out that DRL uses highbeams for it's function. So both of these are no go. Are there any other options I'm missing? Is wiring in a standalone switch my only option?

Thanks!

Not sure what state you are in but I have never seen wiring design have anything to do with the legality of lights. More often it is how high or low to the ground, pattern, number of lights, candlepower or other ways to measure the brightness of the light.

check here for state by state laws.
https://nox-lux.com/off-roading/us-off-road-light-bar-laws-per-state/

trae

Adventurer
Not sure what state you are in but I have never seen wiring design have anything to do with the legality of lights. More often it is how high or low to the ground, pattern, number of lights, candlepower or other ways to measure the brightness of the light.

check here for state by state laws.
https://nox-lux.com/off-roading/us-off-road-light-bar-laws-per-state/

I'm in the province of British Columbia:

(3) An auxiliary driving lamp must operate so that it is illuminated only when the upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp is illuminated.

This is from the motor vehicle act, section 4.09. I can't link to the section directly but you can find it here through the browser search function. I believe lots of the states have a similar provision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke