Aux Fuel Tank Thoughts

airjammer

Observer
Adding a low-profile Aux Diesel tank in the front of my truck bed. 30GL

Will be installing a decked system and AT overland shell. Wondering how well I can seal the tank from smelling up the living space.

Found a titan tank that mounts in the spare tire cavity...could be another option.

Thoughts...

ttengineer

Adventurer
I would not recommend a tank in an enclosed space where you sleep. Especially if it’s plastic. Tanks still need to vent and one where you sleep is not a good idea.

The spare tire tank does hang down slightly lower than most trailer hitches. Model truck dependent of course. I do love the idea of the spare tire Titan tank though. I just wish it was more like 20 gal vs 30 for clearance.

Their XXL tanks are nice too, but again those hang way down past the frame rails on just about every model I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blacklbzbeauty

I agree with ttengineer's comments.
Although still considering the XXL tank for my rig. I am willing to lose a couple of inches of clearance to double my range. Not going to be doing any rock crawling in my full size truck.

airjammer

Observer
Adding a low-profile Aux Diesel tank in the front of my truck bed. 30GL

Will be installing a decked system and AT overland shell. Wondering how well I can seal the tank from smelling up the living space.

Found a titan tank that mounts in the spare tire cavity...could be another option.

Thoughts...

Just thinking now.....A new set of tires may be cheaper than a tank.

I'm considering less rolling resistance a factor. If I go down a tire size to 285/75/17, I may be able to squeeze out a bit more MPG, like 2-3? ; and the spare would fit.

Otherwise, with current set-up, I can travel close 560 miles on the stock 35 gallon tank. (that is, if, mostly highway).

airjammer

Observer
I would not recommend a tank in an enclosed space where you sleep. Especially if it’s plastic. Tanks still need to vent and one where you sleep is not a good idea.

The spare tire tank does hang down slightly lower than most trailer hitches. Model truck dependent of course. I do love the idea of the spare tire Titan tank though. I just wish it was more like 20 gal vs 30 for clearance.

Their XXL tanks are nice too, but again those hang way down past the frame rails on just about every model I believe.

Yeah. I agree. Just wondering if there would be a simple way to shield and vent a set-up like that. Without endangering my life.

RyanPartridge

Just curious, what kind of truck?
Another option might be a larger tank in the factory location, which would keep your bed space free.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What are your real range requirements? Are you planning a specific trip that requires more range than you have?

The ability to go 5-600 miles on a fill is basically bench racing if you're never more than a couple hundred miles from fuel. I think almost anywhere in North America now, including running up the Demptster Highway and down to the tip of Baja, can be done with 300 miles range or less. ULSD is even available fairly reliably in Baja now, from what I understand. (Less so in southern Mexico proper.)

If this is a matter of being able to spend more time playing on the trails a couple of times a year, versus a firm need for a permanently fixed tank, then I'd seriously consider jerry cans or the like. Obviously if you're planning something very specifically remote, then that's another story, but if you're taking a full-sized domestic diesel to another continent, then this is a bigger kettle of fish altogether.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yeah. I agree. Just wondering if there would be a simple way to shield and vent a set-up like that. Without endangering my life.

Not without cutting holes in the topper for venting. Which I would not recommend.

Spare tire tank is probably your best bet if you’re in a full size.

airjammer

Observer
Yeah, not a firm need.
It's an 08 Ram w/6.7 Cummins. No EGR/DPF. No DEF.
Stock, except 3" BDS suspension

I'm in Western Colorado. Off highway 100 mile forays in and out of the BLM or USF.

At an idle pace shouldn't warrant an extra 30 gallons.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My 4WD van has a Flow Transfer extra fuel tank installed courtesy of ATF. At 12 MPG with 4.10 gears and a 496 CI BB (8.1) I can go 840 miles on 1 fill up of 70 gallons or about 6 piss stops. Would I have paid the $2K+ to install the Flow Transfer extra fuel tank system in my van? Hell No! 6 Piss stops gives me plenty of opportunity to git fuel if needed.

The 35 gallon factory tank provides plenty of range for 3 piss stops. IF I only git 4MPG on the trail I STILL have 140 miles of trail range. Not many trails anywhere that are 140 miles with no opportunity for fuel.

I find it interesting that so many folks with gas powered vehicles here are so concerned with fuel range. Ya'll are startin sound like the electric car haters! A 5 gallon jug of extra fuel will git you out any fuel issue if you have any planning "Cents" before you start on that 140 mile long trail!

RyanPartridge

Yeah, not a firm need.
It's an 08 Ram w/6.7 Cummins. No EGR/DPF. No DEF.
Stock, except 3" BDS suspension

I'm in Western Colorado. Off highway 100 mile forays in and out of the BLM or USF.

At an idle pace shouldn't warrant an extra 30 gallons.

Not sure which cab/bed length you have...but Aero makes several options for Dodge.
I recently replaced my Duramax's stock 26 gal tank with their 52 gallon and it sits in the factory location just extends longer forward and rear, and doesn't hang lower than the frame rail.
I used to carry a couple Jerry cans depending on the trip, but not while sleeping in the back under the topper.
It's super nice being able to fill your tank when you want to, not when you need to, and be able to pick cheaper fuel prices. Where I live in AZ diesel is well over a dollar less a gallon than it was in CA while I was there a couple weeks ago. I can fill up cheap in town and drive to CA and back before needing to fuel back up. It's a nice feeling. Plus that extra weight is down low, and not taking up prime real estate in the bed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm only commenting to say I love the avatar. One of my favorite albums. I wonder how many others recognized it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94