Automhome Columbus Variant - Review

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
We spoke to the manufacturers late last year and asked them to rectify this shortcoming. The latest batch of tents were delivered with a modified latch that should solve this problem. We have seen this issue on tents mounted on full rack systems but not when they are fitted to crossbars as originally intended.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Mike that is great news. I'd love to see the new latch/design/orientation that Autohome came out with to address hitting the full rack mounting system that many people need/want to use now. Can they be purchased separately and retro fitted to previous versions of the tent?

Here is a screen shot from YouTube that I just found. Not sure if this is the new orientation, but it is definitely a new latch. Also, there are several new videos from Autohome Official Video here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUfSF2m5nBR707PaAIZzG4w

1564772681093.png

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The tent is now on. I'll take better glamour shots, but as you can see, I was not the first to test the tent. These two are clearly looking for their next adventure.

1564772985683.png

Attachments

• 1564772987854.png
    1564772987854.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It is time for some updates. To fit the latch in the back, the original latch needed to be removed and one with a shorter throw was needed as mentioned early. This was done by procuring a Soutco stainless over center latch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013RO3UZW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ouWDDbKYFMTNA

1568081231195.png

Since the mounting holes did not match and alignment to the upper latch hook needed to be maintained an aluminum spare was cut and drilled and tapped to match the OEM hole location in the tent on one side and the latch hole pattern on the other.

Here is the final result.IMG_0355.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I had previously mentioned creating custom clamping brackets. I did not want bolts hanging down under the tent. I wanted as clean and smooth of mount as possible. This meant the bolts had to go up instead of hang down. Of course this meant a bolt of a correct length had to be purchased and to further the low profile install, 5/16" flat heads where procured. Since the Autohome has t-track system, a slot nut of some sort was in order. 3/8" aluminum cut to 2" lengths drill and tapped worked perfectly. Since the Garvin cross members are 3/4" square tube welded together with spacers creating a .5"ish gap, a u-bracket that would span the two, while allowing the 5/16 bolt up through the middle, was needed. Using 3/16 x1.5 steel stock we cut and bent the u-brackets below. They were then drilled and countersunk to flush out the 5/16" bolt.

All bare steel was primed and painted. By the way, Rustoleum Texture Black is almost an exact match for Akzo Nobel Interpon Black Sand of which Garvin uses for their powder coat.

IMG_0388 2.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
IMG_0389 2.JPG

This is what the aluminum track nut will do inside the Autohome Track.
IMG_0391.JPG

Here is how the u-bracket will straddle the cross bars.

IMG_0392.JPG

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Once installed, here is what it looks like. (ignore the huge carriage bolt in the foreground, that is what holds the Cross Bars to the outside edge of the rack.)

IMG_0394 2.JPG

Here is a cross shot showing some of them installed (not tightened yet). As you can see it really cleans up the underside.
IMG_0396 2.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Since, it is fully secure, it is time for some glamour shots. Sadly, bad weather was moving in, but at least these show how well the tent sits inside the Garvin rack and the overall integration on the jeep.

IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
One of the huge benefits of the Jeep platform form and the use of an Autohome is the ability to NOT use the supplied ladder. Using the Front runner Spare Tyre Ladder, it is actually easier and more secure feeling to use this method....IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG

Then just open the tent.
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Glamour Shots. (note the tent is not taught, as we did not undo the inner bungee cords. Rain was already starting to fall and we need a quick escape).

1568085132803.jpeg
1568085177602.jpeg

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Now of course if you want to use the ladder, don't have a spare tire, or deploying a 270 awing, it is super easy to set as well.

1568085248934.jpeg
1568085267039.jpeg
1568085276914.jpeg1568085292633.jpeg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Now on to general impression and 1st night's sleep.

First Autohome customer service. After meeting Mike S, Frenchie, and the rest of the team at Overland Expo, I was sure it would be a great experience, but working with Andrew for the whole procurement, shipment, and general idea sounding board discussion, proved to me their customer service is top notch.

As for the tent its self, the build quality is fantastic. The black would show any imperfections, but there is none to be seen in the gel coat. The mattress is the perfect firmness for my preference. As a side sleeper, I often feel pressure points in the hips or shoulder while using backpacking inflatables. Not so with the Autohome mattress. It is extremely supportive and I've had zero pressure points. Honestly, it feels exactly like my medium firmness memory foam home mattress.

While inside the Variant, you can sleep with your head by the back door, or up towards the hinge side. Just depends on the Level-ness of the jeep based on where you have to park. I prefer to make it so that the hinge side is level or a little higher. By sleeping with your head towards the hinge side, the tent seems cavernous as you have 3 huge doors to look out. Plus the lines of the tent increasing upwards away from you towards the doors, creates the illusion of more space.

I do have to say that I feel I'm at the upper reaches of height for the standard length variant. I'm 5'9" and feel completely comfortable with how close my feet is the door and where my head is on the hinge side. I think for my preference, I would not want to be taller than 5'11".....maybe barely 6' before I'd want the Variant XL.

As for width of the Variant Small, I am quite satisfied with the 48" mattress for two people. I have only sleep with my son, but he takes up way more room while sleeping than my wife and moves around like a drunken mule all night. There is enough room that I barely notice he was rolling around.

The door options are great, allowing infinite choices of door/screen/ventilation/privacy options. Where I go, I don't even have the screens in unless there are bugs, and then doors only when it rains, or is insanely cold.

I'll continue to post up as I determine bedding options, lighting, power....etc.

Next up though is getting the Front Runner SS table mounted under the Garvin. Here is a teaser of the first mounting bracket install.

IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0399.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I never followed up on the table install.

Product in this post:
  • Frontrunner TBRA001 Prep Table (getting very hard to find. Had to Call FrontRunner back in June 2019 to order, not on their site)
  • Frontrunner Table Mount
After getting up the frontrunner brackets mounted on the bottom of the Garvin Wilderness rack, I needed to use the old system used by FrontRunner before they went to the fancy new latch. The old method used an Anti-Luce. I was able to source an 8mm stainless version from the UK off eBay.
1584927444431.png

The additional piece needed for this is the Anti-Luce catch bracket for the table. To do this I used a piece of 1/8x1.5" Stainless. The bracket is through bolted to the tables 3/4" aluminum frame using 1/4" stainless flat head. Instead of having metal on metal contact, I oversized the hole and used a grommet as buffer between the Rack and the bracket, and between the bracket and the Anti-luce.

To make sure everything is tight I installed some bulb seal at the far end of the table rack track that compresses when the table is full inserted. Also, even though I noticed no movement or noise, I install so addition bulb seal not the bottom on the rack above the track on the last two inches in case the table wanted to bounce up on some nasty corrugated roads. Of course you can adjust the tension the track holds the table, but I'm overly caustious.

Overall, I am extremely happy and the ease and speed at which the table can be setup and deployed is worth all the hassle.

1584927917312.png

1584928211365.jpeg

1584928340923.jpeg

1584928381812.jpeg

1584928411600.jpeg

1584928446748.jpeg

1584928470540.jpeg

1584928512615.jpeg

Attachments

• 1584927808019.png
    1584927808019.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 12