Automatic transmission?

718pinz

Does anyone here have an Expedition Vehicle with an automatic transmission? I COULD drive any truck with a manual transmission, but my knees would thank me for an automatic! Thank you for ANY suggestions/info.

Thanks,
Phil

Joe917

Explorer
I assume you want Mercedes? there is a U500 for sale that works in an auto mode.
There are plenty of MAN auto expo trucks(owned and driven by Germans), that may or not be importable.
Budget?

C p weinberger

I saw a thread about a smaller woman who added air assist to her clutch, almost no resistance when shifting, apparently they are not uncommon in the large over the road trucks. The biggest complaint seems to be the lack of ability to feel the clutch engaging after adding more he assist and it takes some time to get used to shifting. My guess is you Watch your speed and tach closer

718pinz

I assume you want Mercedes? there is a U500 for sale that works in an auto mode.
There are plenty of MAN auto expo trucks(owned and driven by Germans), that may or not be importable.
Budget?

I do like MB. I am not exactly set on a budget, but I am also not unlimited in funds. I suppose that it would all depend on what is available. I guess I just need a little help identifying potential candidates, then I can decide how much is too much.

I seem to recall a recent post of a U500 for sale in the classified section. I will take a look.

Thanks for the air assist info. I will have to take a look at that. Never would have thought of that...

718pinz

Have you tried the manual? The clutch on our u1550l37 is pretty light, almost car like.
I have not. Driven a 404, 1300 and a 17XX, and they were OK, but it sure is nice driving an auto. Certainly an advantage to the manual (especially if you need to bump-start and you are alone!). Hoping for a few suggestions, then I will try to find the potential vehicles and try them out.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Phil.

We have a Mercedes 1222A 4x4 which has an Air Assist clutch. When the air is not built up, forget pressing the pedal, but once the light goes off and working pressure is reached, the pedal is very light. My wife drives our truck, and she finds it easier to drive than the Land Rover Defender was! Clutch is a lot lighter. :)

nathane

I have not. Driven a 404, 1300 and a 17XX, and they were OK, but it sure is nice driving an auto. Certainly an advantage to the manual (especially if you need to bump-start and you are alone!). Hoping for a few suggestions, then I will try to find the potential vehicles and try them out.
Yes, we do have to change quite a bit accelerating so I see the attraction. Funny though I didn't realise bump starts were even possible in autos, I've only ever done them in manuals. Cant imagine bump starting the mog though ?

718pinz

Yes, we do have to change quite a bit accelerating so I see the attraction. Funny though I didn't realise bump starts were even possible in autos, I've only ever done them in manuals. Cant imagine bump starting the mog though ?

I have been stuck with a burned out starter, and an auto transmission, and had to be towed home. I didn’t mean to imply the bump-starting was doable with an auto but, rather, with a manual trans.

I am just going to have to try and find a few and try them out

nathane

I have been stuck with a burned out starter, and an auto transmission, and had to be towed home. I didn’t mean to imply the bump-starting was doable with an auto but, rather, with a manual trans.

I am just going to have to try and find a few and try them out

Sorry, that's clear on re-reading. Test driving is always fun - enjoy ?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
If you go the larger truck route not sure bump starting is even possible. Our MB 1120 needs the air to come up to pressure before the parking brake will release (or maybe I am missing something as this is all new to me).

718pinz

If you go the larger truck route not sure bump starting is even possible. Our MB 1120 needs the air to come up to pressure before the parking brake will release (or maybe I am missing something as this is all new to me).
That is something I didn’t even think of. I suppose you could always use a 12/24V compressor and charge the system? Thanks for bringing that up. I will have to look into that more.

718pinz

How about maintain your airbrake system so its not leaking down ?
Btw.
I dont know of any airbrake system what cant be manually released in event of air failure.
Of course doing that can be hazardous and requires minor tools...
Well, I don’t have a vehicle this applies to, yet, but maintaining the system will happen. I don’t know many people with vehicles heavily reliant on air, to operate at least the brakes, that don’t have to wait for the air system to reach pressure before being able to move. Always better to maintain. It would also be prudent to have a way to operate those critical systems, should you not be able to start the vehicle normally.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I do know of a small leak and need to source the crush washer to fix, but given that for now the habitat is under construction it is not top priority (not really moving the truck, just in the yard). I was also under the impression from other posts on this forum that it is fairly common. I guess I have a new goal of a completely leak free air system. First big truck so all this is new and MB trucks in the US are kind of unknown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94