Autohome vs James Baroud

JackW

Explorer
My opinion is that Maggiolinas are much better - I had a used Maggiolina on my truck for ten years with absolutely no complaints.
A friend of mine had a James Baroud and sold it after one year - he said he had quality issues with the JB. He's had several different brands of roof tents and liked the Baroud the least of all of them.

I sold the Maggiolina earlier this year to buy a Terrapod - lighter, lower profile, advanced design and built in the USA by another friend of mine.

Maggiolina8.jpg

greg.potter

Adventurer
I have had a James Baroud for about 8 years. I had an issue early on with flimsy plastic ladder hooks which James Baroud addressed quickly with metal replacements. Outside of that I have had no issues. Prior to the James Baroud I had a couple of Chinese Maggolina knock-offs that were nothing but problems. I think if you stick to some of the long time manufacturers they all have good products - Maggolina, Jame Baroud, AluCab. Not to say that some of the newer manufacturers in this space don't have good products, but you probably have to do a bit more research and unless you see them in person before purchasing it's a bit more of a crap shoot.

JackW

Explorer
The Terrapod is worth a look - here is my SOLO model - my wife won't climb a ladder so I bought the 31" wide single version for my off grid camping trips so I could have some extra room on the roof rack for other stuff since a D90 is so small.
This way I can carry a Pelican case with "guest quarters" if a friend is riding along. The full size version of the Terrapod is around 54" wide.

Terrapod-9.jpgD90 wSOLO-2.jpgd90 wSOLO-7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles